What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tamlin/William Dawnstar

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Most everybody here knows Tamlin Dawnstar.  
smile.gif
 Tamlin Dawnstar is a name....the person behind that name is William Dawnstar.

I think there are many, many people here in this CP community (as well as others) who have been touched in a positive way by this kind gentleman. And I'm talking about more than "He gave me a plant."  There is more to William than just a man who gives away plants, seeds and gemmae...and I think many here know this about him.

Since William's heart is nearly frozen solid from days and days of non-stop hourly snow shoveling, I thought a way to unthaw and warm up his heart would be to share some your thoughts about him.  It can be anything...something that made you laugh, a kind deed or encouraging word, a cultivation tip, a suggestion for a tasty beer, a funny story, something he taught you.  Anything that touched your life or changed a view point or taught you something about living or growing.

I say it isn't how you see yourself...but how OTHERS see you that truly counts.  We are sometimes blind to our own greatness!  I believe Mr. Dawnstar is well thought of in the CP community not only for his plant generousity but other character traits as well.  Lets show him what you think and get that heart thawed out!
-----------------------

I have found William to be funny, intelligent, loving, kind and generous, talented in many areas including music and poetry...and sometimes a rascal.  He makes me laugh.  
biggrin.gif
 I enjoy reading all his posts especially the scientific dialogue with expert growers.  Always something meaty to learn there.  He is loyal to his friends and concerned about the aspects of their lives.  He is honest...a rare trait to find.  He is inspiring and dedicated to the world of carnivorous plants.  He works hard "behind the scenes"...more than you know. He is a very special person and deserves much love.

One of my most well remembered conversations...we were talking on line.  All of sudden he starts talking in fluent French!  I am surprised!  I didn't know he spoke another language.  I thought "wow"!  Then, to my amazement, he starts talking in fluent Italian!  I am thinking "Ohmigod...he knows TWO foreign languages!"  And then I'm truly floored when he begins to speak fluent German!  
wow.gif
  I am feeling totally humbled and stupid...this man is brilliant!  A genius!  He knows THREE languages to perfection!  I'm totally awed!  But theeeen....after letting me flip out for a while, he finally 'fesses up.  He was using an online translator to translate his sentences!!
tounge.gif
  LOL!  I was DUPED!  I was believing it hook, line and sinker!  Ok...I was gullible but STILL!  Even though the joke was on me, I had to laugh and still laugh about it to this day.  He pulled it off well!  That's the  "rascal" element that comes out sometimes.  
biggrin.gif

Ok...any one else who has been touched in some way have a thought to share about the person, William Dawnstar?

I'm sure there will be many more great times when he visits me again, or I visit him for once! He first got my laughing when he tried to pick up my big bical and then telling me which buttons to hit on his camera to take a photo while water and pitchers are going everywhere!
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
William is certainly one of the most if not the most giving person out there for CPs and the general world! I've been watching the news lately looking to my friend 80miles south of me to see just how much snow has been hitting him and just for the sake of god he keeps his head high and above the snow!
smile.gif

I'm relatively new to the forums and when I saw his name on the posts I thought that the person behind the posts was a 25ish woman of Asian descent. Then I spent several hours on New Years Day reading a lot of the old posts, particularly the member pictures one. Boy, was I surpised! Just read his article about the month-to-month care of gemmae and was very impressed. Gotta love the dry wit, too!

The highest compliment I can pay to William is that he inspires those around him to be better people. He teaches that giving is better than getting, and that we should be sharing instead of taking, and cooperating instead of competing.

His importance in this world goes far, far beyond CPs.

Capslock

Two things immediately leap to mind.
1) Constantly demonstrates the power of generocity. Taught me a thing or two!
2) How he loves to PUNish people. Contantly. aPUN my word!

One of the biggest things I've noticed about Tamlin is that he is willing to give anyone a chance, no matter how new they are to the hobby. If they are willing to learn and take a serious interest, he is more than willing to share plants and expertise, even though his interests of the moment may be more intwined with whether the underside of the lamina of Drosera camporupestris is glaborous or not.
smile.gif
It’s attitudes like this that make hobbies like this grow and thrive, and one we should all have. Keep up the good work on both ends of the scale, William!

I think he is one of the most generous growers out there. Keep it up William!

Yes William is a great guy
smile.gif
he taught me a thing or two...well more than that,but anyway,he will help you in anyway he can,just don't call him Mr.Dawnstar
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Jerry

One of the nice ppl on the forums. Your knowlegde on cps is amazing! I envy you on your smarts and your wellingness to help others and willingness to give. Not many ppl around the earth that are like that.

I will never forget you giving me D. Capensis seeds back in the day. I was shocked just because I was new to the forums and this guy is giving me seeds. Little did I know that this person Tamlin is one of nicest people that I know. People are nice do not get me wrong but not many people give seeds to stranger on a forum.

Thanks,
Travis
smile.gif

How about *Dr.* Dawnstar?  (Before anyone should take me seriously, that’s a joke.)
How very sweet of you, PAK, to start such a thread.  And you did so wonderfully, too.  Those of us close to him know how tough it has been here lately.  Yesterday it was just shovel, sleep, maybe find something to eat, then go back out & shovel some more.  Actually, somehow William had the energy to also make some lovely warming ham stew.  (He’s the cook of the house, as well.)  We had a state of emergency declared here today & it’s still snowing.  I think everyone is probably familiar with the term ‘cabin fever’ - we have been infected but we will survive.
I wish I could gush & spout all this flowery stuff about how important & precious this man is to me but he is the poet - not I. I do know I count my blessings that my life in entwined with this man’s.  I have many warm memories of our time together since the day we first met on a snowy (!) day in 1969.  Our lives have moved apart & together in many ways since then but they are together now until our time on this plane is over.
I imagine William will read this thinking how he has everyone fooled  – ‘they don’t really know me.’  He could very easily have an inflated ego (he is pretty great!) But he doesn’t.  I think a person is known by their deeds.  He has something here in which he believes wholeheartedly.  He is one of those rare souls who practice what they preach.  I have not met a more genuine person.  I don’t grow these particular plants myself but I just love reading what he writes about them & the other stuff, too, so that’s why I’m on this forum.      
biggrin.gif

Very True, the deeds speak of the person. Lavender, I have to tell you, that passage speaks well of you. Your doing just fine.

As to William. What can I say. He brews beer, grows carnivorous plants, has a great sense of humor, plays guitar and looks like he belongs at a blues fest. All too good. He is generous and he is my honorary mentor. Knock it off, your stuck with it.
blues.gif

Thanks William.

There are a lot of good people here.

Tamlin is a very smart and cool guy , everytime i read his post i learn something new even though i can barely understand all that botany language and stuff . I'll never forget the time when he gave me gemmae of a few pygmy sundews , he works really hard to make other people happy . A man with a great sense of humor that brings joy to this forum to esperts or newbies , i hope he finds this topic and see how much people like him here in the forums .
smile.gif

William took me under his wing a long long time ago. I am still not some great Drosera grower (or of any CP to be exact) but William has in fact helped me get to where I am now. Not only does he help me with my cps. But I talk to him about just about anything. And I like to say he talks to be about stuff in his life too. ( I've always gotten along with people older than me. :) )
So, to the man that is always there (I've even called him when he is in the middle of a "jam" and he took the time to talk to me): Thanks for being there man, you are a great friend--you always have time to talk even if I have nothing to say. And I'm not afraid to say "I love you man" cause I do. When I make a friend I hold them dear to my heart. And you will never freeze because my warmth inside runnith over. All over those in the few parking spaces inside my chest.
Andrew

HUH???

Am I dying or something?  It's not my birthday so I don't know what this is all about, but gee thanks for the kindly words!  If this is all about the listserve flaming that a certain well known dissident started (and I am fairly sure it is) you should know that I am not affected by other's opinions of my character or abilities, especially not what's-his-name.

This is what Oz gave to the Cowardly Lion: a testimonial!  I have never had a testimonial, and it's pretty darn cool, so I encourage you to add what thanks you have to offer, if you would be so kind .  I don't seek thanks or praise, and usually but the kibash on them when they happen, but maybe this time it's a good idea.  My thanks to PAK for thinking of it, and to all who have responded. Who knows maybe I'll post it on the listserve since I have been asked to present my "credentials" there, lol.

Well William, you know my respect for you is beyond measure. The efforts you go through to educate, share, etc with people in the CP community is incredible.

Many people wouldn't have the opportunity to grow and learn without your input.

I for one appreciate your support... and willingness to support the forums, the company, and the growers here (and elsewhere).

Without people like you... this hobby would be left in the hands of people who would rather hoard rare goods than share with the world.

Thanks from myself, and everyone that works to make the forums flow!

-Phil

Well, I don't know how much to attribute to Tamlin himself, but I do believe that him, and many others on these forums (Pyro, Dodecatheon, Phil, and many others) have probably changed the way many people look upon the hobby, through being so generous.

As for presenting your credentials on the listserv, Tamlin, why even bother? Those questioning your credentials obviously haven't done much research on them.
To be honest, I am becoming more and more surprised that the listserv can compete with these forums here - it's just too friendly of an atmosphere here, with so many nice, friendly people.

Nope.  This isn't about the Listserve.  Nor is this intended to overshadow the good deeds and hard work MANY other people put into this forum.  There are TONS of people to thank for that...everybody from admin, mods and all the contributing members.  All you guys and gals are just fantastic people!  
smile.gif

This is about letting YOU know you are more than just a fictional name "Tamlin"....that you are a very real and valuable human being (under ANY name) who has made a mark on many people's lives that goes beyond just giving someone a plant.  The internet is the vehicle...but the people are real and the impact is real, as is the respect and love of those with whom you share yourself, your talents and beliefs.

I know you have made a difference in more lives that just those who have and will post here.  The "giving ethic" is only a part of it.  You can't help but think that all the respect, sharing, caring, encouragement to experiment and goodwill will spill over into all aspects of people's lives.  It is no small thing!

Its not about ego or thanks or credentials...just want you to see that sometimes what looks small and insignificant can be more meaningful in someone else's eyes than your own.  
smile.gif

Our view of ourselves is often fogged by self-doubts.  For everyone, just remember...its not so much how we see ourselves that counts...but how others see us.  
smile.gif
  Just as there is a "ripple effect" in the sharing of plants, there is a "ripple effect" through our lives into others as well.

As a friend of mine used to say..."Do good and avoid evil."  
cool.gif

So all you folks reading this topic...share your thoughts so William the Lionhearted will have a testimonial like the Cowardly Lion. lol

OK. Hi Phillip, if you're coming out of the ground hog hole to attaboy me, that's good enough for me. Thanks all, for the warm thoughts. 5 feet of snow in 36 hrs.: from here on they'll call me Tamlin Doubleshovel, or possibly Dr. Tamlin Doubleshovel.

Now how about deleting this post before it embarasses me. I already know who my friends are, you know.

I'm late on this post but must say that William is kind and eloquent and the world could use more like him. Bringing Phillip out of his ground hog hole is no mean feat in itself
wink.gif
Keep shoveling man....Spring is on the way and then your "air potatoes" will be too.

Lynda

HA! --- I think you guys are tryin' to tell me I'm not around in here much!!!

wow.gif

I am.. daily... just don't post to many things. I'm a voyeur!
smile.gif

Back