What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Gnats

I have fungus gnats and they are takeing over everything.

My house is so filled and if you leave a glass of water or have a fishtank they go in there and drown.

I need to know how to get rid of these things.

What pesticide is safe for CP's?

Sundews and butterworts are your best friends now. They love to catch fungus gnats.

Where can i get a butterwort i dont have any.

and my sundews are all seedlings

Is anyone up for a trade of a cool common beginer ping or sundew?
rock.gif

PM me is what i mean

lol

no takers
rock.gif
sad.gif

Sounds to me like you need some Gnatrol, killing only the adults is solving half your problem there will still be a juvenile population in your media.
Do a search on google for Gnatrol.

Drosera and Pinguicula only work for a small infestation and will keep them under control if the population is small and steady.

However go with Khai, I speak from expierence and I am sure he does as well. Gnatrol is awesome stuff, it is SPECIFICALLY forumulated to zap the larvae which disrupts the gestation cycle of the gnats. It will not harm the adults unless them come into direct contact with it but once they breed and die, thier eggs will not live in the treated soils so eventually after 2 life cycles you should be rid of them.

what do i do with it

drench the soil

mist the plants

what

o and the two generations thingy that should only be about a day or two the way that they are going
i have noticed that my neps have been eating a toooon of these things

Once the larvae are all destroyed (and trust me, the larvae are the dangerous part of these pests, they destroyed an entire mexi-ping collection for me...seem to like to eat the leaves), it should take a week maximum to finish off the rest of the adults. If they can't breed, problem solved.

I have more then usual right now too, must be partly a seasonal thing... does anyone know if their is a terestrial bladderwort that will eat the larvea.

Darcie,

I would hope a lot of them would, it just depends on the size of the larvae at the time. I would definately think any of the larger trapped species of utrics would do it.

I've gone on and on, and beaten myself half to death trying to get rid of them. Last year I just said screw the tray system and let things get drier than suggested. Luckily, I haven't seen one since. Though now i'm using trays again so we'll see what happens.

You just want to make sure that when using utrics as groundcover (aka a defense against the pests others can't get to), don't use anything super invasive or any utric that will choke your plant out.

I've also been experimenting with a top coat of coir. It seems to hold moisture, but doesn't ever really get waterlogged so I would hope this would leave the surface of the substrate a bit dried, which would help get rid of algae, which would help get rid of the larvae.

I just wish I could find something completely inorganic that was comparitive to peat.

The only mix I've found larvae do NOT infest are freshly washed live sphagnum moss, and coconut chips. Another good alternative to peat is coir itself and/or minced coconut chips. Just pop the chips, dry prefered in a blender, set to high speed let blend for 30 seconds to a minute and bingo, nice fine minced media.

NepG,

I've been experimenting with the usage of coir lately. It's a very good open based media, you just have to really watch the watering depending on what's in the pot. It really seems like great stuff for neps, and i'd think utrics would love it since it stays pretty open so far for me, you'd just have to keep them flooded.

VFT's seem to grow well in it, some divisions took in a mix of coir:perlite as well as cuttings so it can't be that bad. Though still for the vft's a little peat thrown in makes up for the amount of water that you can almost pour right through.

Nothing beats inorganic media for mexican pings though. ;)

Back