What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our baby entered the world early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
OK, I’m going to try and give you the Reader’s Digest condensed version of the story yet still give the details I think you should know.  So, I hope this makes since to you.  I’m sure most of you remember that I announced that my wife was pregnant and our baby was due Feb 29th.  Well, time passed and as those of you who have been pregnant or known someone close that has been there is test after test after test.   One of the blood tests came up with some odd results.  The results don’t say there is a problem, they just say there is a higher possibility of problems.  The only way to know for sure is by a amniocentesis which is a long needle that goes into the sack where the baby grows and pulls out some of the amniotic fluid which is then sent out to be grown and tested.   There is a 1 in 200 chance of a miscarriage if you do this test.  And that is much more likely than what they said our baby might have.  So we decided not to do the amniocentesis.
During a normal sonogram they found that our baby had a cleft lip.  Which is actually very common in babies and is 100% fixable.   Then they thought there was heart problems so we were sent to a echo cardiologist which could see the heart better and determined yes there were problems.   …again, these are not that uncommon and are 100% fixable with surgeries starting at about 6 months of age.
Moving forward and skipping a bunch of not so important detail, on Jan 22nd we were doing a NST (non stress test), it’s where you sit still for a long time and they monitor the babies heart and the mom’s contractions (moms start having small contractions way before it’s time for birth…  pretty much the muscles getting ready for “the big day”.)  Well, what was happening with Canden (our baby) is every now and again his heart rate would drop pretty far AFTER the contraction.  Which shows the baby is stressing.  We were then sent over to the woman’s hospital for a longer monitoring.  As the night went on these continued to happen.  And since a while back we decided to give this baby the best chance he was going to have we decided to be pretty aggressive.  Meaning if there was a problem, we would do a c section to get him out.   (skipping some stuff again) on Jan 22nd of 2004 at 10:50 pm Canden was born c section.  He had some physical abnormalities which kinda supported our suspicions about his health.  He was transported to a hospital more able to take care of premature babies and such and blood was taken.  That blood was tested and it was determined he is positive for Trisomy 18.
Trisomy 18 (without getting into too much detail) is one of those things that just “happens”  it doesn’t run in the family, it’s not something we ate or the way we conceived this child.  It is a chromosome problem.  Basically you are supposed to have 2 of each chromosome.  And in our child the chromosome #18 has 3 instead of 2.   another example of an extra chromosome problem is Trisomy 21 which is down syndrome.  If you’d like further information on this there is plenty online.   http://www.trisomy.org/html/trisomy_18_facts.htm  and http://my.webmd.com/content....3CA348} to get you started.  
He started on one ventilator and was quickly moved to another more drastic machine, one that vibrates and gives him 600 breaths per minute.   Since Trisomy 18 is fatal, we decided to sign a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order.   And just to “keep him comfortable” until he decides to leave us.   On Jan 30th his breathing was better and they were able to move him to a machine that is “nicer” to his body (only breathes at about 60 breaths per min).  This one actually can tell when he is going to breath and help him.  And if he stops breathing or isn’t breathing enough, the machine does it all for him.  Since we signed a DNR if this machine stops working for him he will not be moved back to the other machine.  On the plus side, this machine has a flexible tube when the vibrator one has a very stiff tube.  What does this translate to?  We can hold our baby boy on this machine when it was impossible on the other.  It is very nice.  We sat there on that day for about 4-5 hours each holding him.  (in one sitting) for the first time.   Each and every day we go in and visit him.  At first to sit by his bed side and hold his hands and touch his head, and now we sit by his bed side hold his hands and then have the nurse help him onto our chests where we hold him for many hours on end.
Does anyone else have any experience with Trisomy 18?  Please feel free to contact me personally if you would rather than talk about it here on the forum.  We’d love someone to exchange emails with.
Andrew + Deangela
(We'll keep you updated.)

Congratulations on the birth of your son Andrew, and my very warmest regards to Deangela. It looks like you have some challenges ahead, but one thing I know: your child will have the love of 2 exceptionally strong and fine parents. I know I can speak for the community when I say if there is anything we can do to help, just let us know. I will keep you and your family close in my thoughts and heart!

My heart goes out to you, Andrew, Deangela & Canden.  At this time when you would expect to be rejoicing you instead find yourself dealing with grief.  Enjoy him for whatever time he is given to be with you.  I admire the strenth it must have taken just to put up this post - nevermind having to deal with everything there.  We hold your spirit in ours across the miles.

Congratulations on the addition to the family!
smile.gif

Congradulations on the birth, but
sad.gif
I'm sorry he isn't in good health.  As soon as I started reading your post I feared that was the what it was leading to.  I studied it in detail in my Genetics course last semester.  1 in 500 confermed pregnacies have chromasomal hiccups in women over 30; You're not alone.  In fact, most miscarages are caused from other trisomies that can not make it to birth, I'm sorry that you have to go through this, my Grandmother lost a baby after an earlie birth and she never fully recoverd from the shock.  I'm glad your baby boy is being kept confortable, and it sounds like he is in good shape for the disorder so you must have really gone all out to give him the best chance possible during the pregnancey.  I am a little baffled by the not genetic part.  It is indeed a fluke of nature, but it is known to run in famillies with "sticky" chromasomes, not that it's that much more likely, just slightly.  I hope you try again and keep us posted on both Canden and any future babies that may brighten your life
smile.gif

... We must name a cultivar after Canden, yes that would be nice... I'm sure their is one out their in need of a namesake

Congratulations to you and Deangela on the birth of your son.
smile.gif
I know this situation is a very hard thing and my thoughts are with all three of you.

But Canden is lucky to have two very loving parents. Not all children are born in loving situations so he has that very important factor on his side.

Much love to you all...I am here if you need anything.

Suzanne

Anything any of us can do for you, just ask. It seems that life always throws you a curveball when you least expect it. It sounds like you are taking the right actions and have exactly the right attitude about the whole situation. I admire that a lot. Best wishes to all of you.

Max

I can't think of mych to say but I wanted to say something so here goes:

Congratulations for you blessing. I hope you have courage through all of this.

Congrats on the birth... My prayers and thoughts are with you all... If there is anything I can do please dont hesitate to ask.

Steve

Thanks all for the good whishes we'll take all we can get.
smile.gif

Darcie: By saying it isn't genetic I'm saying it doesn't run in our families. As for your statistics... your right, the older the woman is the more likely they can have a trisomy. I am 24 and she is 22. Although I think I recall the statistics being much more like 1 out of 5000 for our age range.
Thanks again all,
Andrew

Congrats on your baby but sorry to hear your baby's health. I am sure things will be fine in the long run. A little bit of TLC.

Best of Wishes,
Travis

Hi Andrew,
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. My thoughts are with you at this time

Best wishes to you ,wife and your son.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Even with his health issues, I am sure that he has had five times as loving of a life than most of the world put together. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Cole

It's hard to think of what to say at times like this, but offten it helps to just say something.
Just like other people have said one thing this baby will be never be short on is love. It sounds like he has all he needs from you and your wife, but maybe we can send some from this forum too.
My Mom told me once that there are no accidents, we are alll here for a reason. Your son is here for a reason. When his work is done he'll go to a better place. I'm sure he'll wait for you until you get there. If theres any thing I can do you just ask. I'll talk to you later on aol.
Good luck.

Best wishes to all 3 of you. You'll be in my prayers. I hope all will be well. Shower him with love and remember that miracles happen every day.

Andrew, I'll keep you and Deangela in prayer. Just wanna let you know that your strength in such a situation puts me to shame that I should even be feeling down about picked on by the top management at work.

God bless.

Hello Andrew,

I am sorry that your fears have been confirmed. I had a nephew, and a God Child, born as yours is. His parents are remarkabely strong as you and Deangela are proving to be. His parents made the same hard choice you have.
May God be with you during this very difficult time. I congratulate you on the birth of your son and I pray for the continued strength of his parents and his comfort.

wow congrats man, that is awesome. (sorry I am a little late!) but.. hey, I expect your up.

well, Rampuppy just learned that speed reading the forums can sometimes bite you in the butt... consider my foot in mouth all the way up to the hip.

I only hope you can cherish what time you have. Every moment is a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back