What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Non-carnivorous plants

My favorites are...

Cat grass: Very easy to grow from seeds and very attractive bright green foliage. Even a black thumb would succeed with this.

Winter jasmine (jasminum polyanthum): Vine with dark green foliage and sweet smelling white/pink flowers.

Ferns: Most every fern ^_^'

I kinda like everything tropical, especialy if its big & colourlfull. I also like ferns. You know, those big, bad, jurasicpark-style ferns.
cool.gif

I like tasties - lime basil, dill, hot peppers, rosemary, etc. Ever try ranch dressing with a little extra dill? Mmmmm!

I like anything that attracts hummingbirds. I have several fuschias that are usually loaded with big red flowers. Also in summer I grow a nice vine called Cardinal Climber. It produces scores of beautiful red trumpet shaped flowers that the hummers just love. I also grow lots of cooking herbs... basil, thyme, rosemary ect ect.

Cheers
Steve

Aside from my Nepenthes I grow Aroids like: Amorphophallus, Dracunculus, Arisaema & Alocasia. Under my benches in the highland and intermediate chambers I grow Slipper orchids like Paph and Phrag species and Peurothallid alliance orchids such as Dracula & Masdevallia.

I'm partial to the weird plants and love anything that's strange either in it's leaves or flowers!

Oh my gosh...that's a tough one. There are so many favorites.
smile.gif
But orchids and passionflowers are at the top of the list. Also ferns and woodland plants. Oh and hosta! I love hosta. Poppies, bleeding heart, foxglove, cosmos, coneflowers... I should stop. The list could go on and on and on...

Suzanne

I really like plants in the lily family. In particular, I like asiatic lilies and others like them, just because of the infinite number of color varieties (kind of like Sarracenia hybrids). I also like some of the lesser known members, such as Belamcanda/Pardancanda, Crocosmia, Ixia, etc...

I also enjoy N. American native orchids. Sure, some of those you see in conservatories are unbelievable, but nothing stops you dead in your tracks like hiking through a spruce swamp in northern Wisconsin and coming face to face with a mass of showy lady slippers in full bloom.

After much debate, I decided on Skunk Cabage because it's cool how it generates heat so it's flower can poke out of the snow first thing come spring time

I like bright, colorful flowers, like the ones you'd see as decoration in the '60's: Johnny Jump Ups, Morning Glories, Iris, Gladiolas, Crocus - and my favorite is the Pansy. Yup, love those little faces. And yes, I'm in touch with my feminine side.

Anything weird, especially the easy to grow Voodoo Lily Sauromatum venosum

Darcie, have you ever gotten near a grove of skunk cabbage? Peeeee-uuuu! I was scared to get close to them while hiking around Humboldt.

Symplocarpus foetidus, gotta love that skunk cabbage!
smile.gif

I love Aroids, Especially Arisaema and Drancunculus and the Sauromatum. I LOVE Native orchids like Aaron stated, specially C. acaule and C. reginae! C. parviflorum var. parviflorum is also a beauty. I grow the other orchids like the weeds Phalenopsis and Oncidium. Also a fan of hot hot peppers, especially Cayenne, Jalapeno and Red Hungarian Giant Hots. Habernaros are the god and I leave them just to look at and admire.
wink.gif

Oh this is gonna be a hard one , i really like aroids , such as amorphophallus konjac , sauromatum venosum , and more , then there orchids , who coukd'nt like them , there a real beaut , i also tillandsias , cactuses , bromedliads , and large tropical plants such as bird of pardise .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ Feb. 02 2004,19:28)]Darcie, have you ever gotten near a grove of skunk cabbage? Peeeee-uuuu! I was scared to get close to them while hiking around Humboldt.
LOL, yes, I have and they don't smell unless you break the tissues of the plant. They are the first plants to poke out of the snow each spring in the woods at the back of our farm
smile.gif

It would have to be an orchid: Brassavola digbyana! Its franged lsrge white-greenish flower with a strong scent of citronnelle in the evening is something that I can't get tired of... But I love Stapelia too, Tacca, Passiflora... the list can be long :p

I always dream of finding skunk cabbage in the wild. I've saw impressive photos of this plants making the snow melting (for about 1' deep') to expose its flowers in spring... wow!

I'd say my favorites have to be bulbs; outdoor and indoor. Amaryllis are probably at the top of the list. Mine are just now starting to send up scapes.

Cole

I like unusal anything, but ferns mainly. My favorite fern so far is the Staghorn Fern.

Hmmm.pond plants(duh) especialy vivap tdb water lilys,bryophilliums,and citrus.

I like growing flowers in our raised bed garden. We had to import soil for it, and that was expensive!
I've never seen a orchid, i dont know what they look like.

I also like Mimosa and primitive plants. Ferns, Ginkgo trees, cycads, horsetails. I like treeferns!
Cant grow any but the Ginkgo here, tough.

Sunflowers
smile.gif

I try to grow the biggest ones around and get pretty jealous if I see some bigger ones in someone else's garden. I like plants that 'do stuff', like grow super large.

Back