What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CO2 in growing area/ terrarium

hey i made a simple CO2 maker to see if my plants grow better. I made it with sugar, water, baking soda and dried baking yeast( pm me for details), i put it in a bottle, sealed it, drilled a hole and put a tube in the hole running to my terrarium.
has anyone tried this method or before? It is supposed to be for planted fish tanks so im not 100% sure it will work for terrariums. Also should i let it run at night? Please tell me your experiences...

thanks

I sure have and it most certainley will work in a terrarium.
If you feel like shutting it off every night go for it, some find it easier to just mix up a new batch more often.
Remember now that your using Co2 your plants will be growing faster thus they will need more of everything, ie. water, light and ferts.
Of course lighting will be your limiting factor as to how fast your plants will grow. Which is probably a good thing, you wouldnt want your hobby to become a chore.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wezx @ Feb. 03 2004,07:45)]hey i made a simple CO2 maker to see if my plants grow better. I made it with sugar, water, baking soda and dried baking yeast( pm me for details), i put it in a bottle, sealed it, drilled a hole and put a tube in the hole running to my terrarium.
Rather than have a whole bunch of people (I am guessing) PM you, why not just post your details here?  It seems like an interesting idea, and I would love to see how you set it up.

Does it make your terrarium smell like a bakery?  
cool.gif

Jeremy

jjhall,

It wasn't so directly said, so i'll state it now:

In general, most plants use CO2 during the day, and oxygen at night.

I've tried this using the aldrovanda type of setup , I saw no difference in the plants and your suppose to change the mixture every 2 weeks . I think and you don't have to cover up the tank because carbon dioxide is more heavier then air .

thanks for the replys everyone
Actually its not my idea and im just trying it out to see if my plants grow better, many planted fish tank keepers use it. I got it from a great site with step to step guides, here it is:
<a href="http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=10" target="_blank"></a>

Khaim: thanks for the advice, ill take shut the tube with blue tak at night
goldtrap:i leave the tank without cover, thanks
jjhall: i dont think it would make the place smell, the bottle cap is sealed and the mixture has only about 1 teaspoon of baking stuff.

here are some pics of it in my tank:

cp%20001.jpg

cp%20002.jpg

oops sorry bout that, how do i make it smaller?

Back