What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs... One scared me to death, and a new friend

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
On Monday my wife had told me that she would not be home and that I would have to walk our dog Apple. No problem, its not hard to walk a dog.

A little background...

My wife had wanted a dog for some time. I had grown away from liking dogs as they just seemed to be dirty, loud, messy, etc. I just didn't really like being around them anymore. They made me nervous although I had dogs growing up.

Now, it has taken about 3 years for me to come around on getting a dog. My wife's friend found a dog at our local humane society that she thought my wife would like. We had been looking at greyhounds, but I was still not sure. Anyway, my wife had gone out to see the dog and told me I should go see her as well.

During my lunch, I went out to see the dog and spend a few minutes with her. I had the humane society add a cat to our little bunch just to see how the dog would react. Everthing went well and I bought the dog. Well, I more or less just looked at the dog while it looked at me. I thought she was ok and to make my wife happy I bought her.

My wife and her friend picked Apple up and brought her home. Our male cat greeted her at the door and Apple and our cat just licked eachother. Very good news.

Anyhow, over the next several months, I began to really like Apple, we are not really best of friends, but we are very close. She gets along with our cats and sleeps next to me in our bed (great for those cold winter nights).

Well, now for the part that scared me to death.

Monday night my wife was gone and I had to walk Apple. I waited until about 10PM to taker her on a walk as to help get her ready for bed and also to make sure she falls alseep right away. I put her in her harness and added a safety strap as she popped out of the harness once. It was a bit warmer than it had been so I didn't put her in the sweater that we normally put her in when its cold (she has a very thin coat). We took our normal route for the most part, but I cut over and doubled back by a bank we had passed many times. She normally sniffs around and tries to play in the snow. All was going well until I passed that bank. One the turn home, we passed the bank and the planters they have on the sidewalk. Being a dog, Apple sniffed the planter, jumped back, started screaming and barking like a seal. She curled up into a ball and kept on barking and screaming. The first thing that hit me was she had a bee stinging her, but was winter. I looked at her and she just kept screaming and barking all curled up into a ball. I am not sure how long this went on and I tried to find out what was wrong. When I saw that she was not choking, or been hurt via a gun shot, stone, etc, but still screaming in pain, I only could think that she was dying. I had just gotten attached to this silly little dog and now she was going to die in front of me. To my horror, she slowly turned onto her back, slowly got quiet, and got really stiff and stopped breathing. I did not know what to do, there wasn't anyone else around and my wife had left her cell at home so I couldn't get in touch with her. I touched Apple on her belly and she just started to scream and bark again, but then just sat up and looked at me like she had just been through ####. Well, she had been and so had I. She wanted picked up and I did so and ran as fast as I could back home, not something one can really do with asthma and I didn't get as far as I had wanted. I had to rest, but at this time she was able to stand and walk. She kept looking at my like something was wrong and I could tell she was weak. You know how a dog looks when they are scared and all they want to do is hide, well that was the look. She also seemed concered at the same time. Well, during that horrid event, she did bite me. I am ok, and its nothing bad.

Now, that all seem horrible, but I did not handle it well, I was actually in a panic mode as I couldn't get ahold of anyone. Finally, I was able to dial my dad and he really helped me out. However, i did not calm down until my wife came home. I had gotten ahold of our vet before she had gotten home, but I was not calm by any means.

Well, it turns out that Apple had a seizure and I will say it was very scary. I just fell in love with that dog and I thought she had died in a very painful way. We get the test results back today and the vet is possitive that it is most likely a once in a lifetime thing. However, only the test results will show that.

Now, for the new friend part, I am picking up a new dog today. Her name is Anni and she is a beagle mix.

I have to go, time for work. I will post a bit more later.

Thanks for listening, sorry to scare anyone, but I had to talk about it... again. I have not slept well and I cannot get that sight out of my head. I hope no one has to go through that with their pet.

Hi Nick,
It's amazing how attached we can become to them. I hope that Apple will be OK and that it was just a once in a life time thing. Seeing someone haveing a seizure, be it man or pet, is not an easy thing to deal with when it hits you out of the blue like that. It is not easy on them either. They are totally worn out physically and emotionally afterwards. My sister in law has siezures on an almost daily basis. The best thing you can do is help keep them safe until it's over and then comfort them. Apple probably was scared. She has no idea what happened either. I hope she and Anni also become friends.

smile.gif

BCK

Your only mistake was... in not getting a greyhound! Just kidding, I adore my greyhounds and think they're the best things since sliced bread.

Prepare for them to become family members. There's no avoiding it. Hope that Apple turns out OK!

Capslock

I know how you feel Nick. My grandparents have a English springer just like our dog, and he is an epileptic (sp?) and has seizures regularly even with him on meds. I hope that was only a one time thing for Apple, as it is very saddening and it's out of your control to help them....you just have to watch in terrible horror as they go through it. I hope she turns out alright.

I feel for you, Nick.  Our dog had seizures, too.  I think they were caused by either a vaccination or the flea medicine we put on her.  We never knew.  My youngest son would get very upset every time it happened but kids take their cues from adults & I would reassure him (& her) that it would pass & that the best you could do for her was to keep her from hurting herself -we just kind of tucked blankets around her - & try to stay calm yourself.  I totally understand your reaction.  Now if it does happen again - we hope it doesn't - but you will know what to expect & how to help her.  
smile.gif

Glad to hear how your family is growing, pets are a joy.  Our cat is curled up against my leg nearly everytime I'm on the computer.  He knows I'm not going to be moving for a while.  
tounge.gif

Well, her blood work came back and all is well. It is probably a once in a lifetime thing. However, if she has another, we will be doing more tests.

So far Apple and Anni are getting alone well. Anni is more of a lap dog than Apple, which makes it eaiser to keep an eye on her.

Thanks for you comments, it has helped very much. I never thought I would get that attached to a dog.

Sorry to break your heart, but the dog bit you, you should get rid of it as soon as possible. It has shown that it can be a threat, regardless of the circumstances. It could be she gets hostile when scared, or sick. Whatever the reasons are, you should not keep a dog that has bit you.

(I am assuming this is a mid-sized dog. If we are talking about a 3 pound terrier here that couldn't break the skin, the risk is minimal)

hey,
I found a computer, glad to be online...
I know how you feel, my 10 year old terrier had seizures for several weeks, but no one knew why... we found out that the flea medication might have caused it, but it was more likely the food! many dogs can not have food with preservatives in it (only natural preservatives). when they have food with preservatives, it sometimes gives them a sickness when the white blood cells attack the red blood cells and other white blood cells, almost like HIV... the only way they could cure it was to give her... (whats that gross tasting red liquid that weakens the immune system?) anyways after a week on that she was all better
smile.gif
we now give her only all natural foods (wysong)
anyways i sure hope apple gets better!
smile.gif

ill talk to you later on aim...
-spec

wow, that must have been #### and a half.  poor little thing!  dont blame yourself for panicing, because i am sure anyone of us would have done the same, it natural. well i am glad that Apple is ok, she is such a cutie!!! she is infact soo cute that it has caused me to consider wanting a doggie of my own.  congrats on the new puppy as well
biggrin.gif

douglas

hmm walking her at 10 pm hhuh...perhaps to avoid being seen holding a PINK leash??
wow.gif

First of all biting is a natural reaction for any dog under those conditons. Getting rid of the dog is not the thing to do and I'm sure it's not even an option for Nick.
My wife's dog (the bat dog) has seizures. She has to take drugs to control them.I think she's 9 yrs old now so they can live a long life even with seizures.

Hey maybe that pink leash had something to do with it.
wink.gif

I should have made it more clear as to how I was bitten. She was curled up in a ball, barking and screaming and had no control over her movements. I was bitten when I reached down to see if her harness or collar was causing this to happen. Because she was in a constant and steady painful barking mode, her mouth was snapping open and closed rapidly. From what I have read and from what I have been told by our vets, it is not uncommon for a dog to bite during a seizure. It was my mistake to put my hand near her face and mouth. If I had just waited, she would have come out of the seizure and I would not have been bitten.

Whoever witnesses a seizure should also be aware of their own safety as it is not unusual for dogs to bite while seizing. Do not attempt to put anything in the dog's mouth during a seizure.

Ozzy and Death66,

You should know that I have saved the pink leash and collar for her spring wardrobe. I feel it is much too early and cold to be wearing spring clothes!

Casper,

Apple has yet to attack any living thing (human, chicken or otherwise) in an aggressive or mean way. She is a sweet and loving girl. I can't wait for her and Anni to get to play together. Next Sat will be the day! Anni should be all healed and ready to rumble!

Everyone else,

Thanks for your care and concern! Hope the "episode" never reoccurs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sunrenay @ Feb. 07 2004,10:44)]Casper,

Apple has yet to attack any living thing (human, chicken or otherwise) in an aggressive or mean way. She is a sweet and loving girl.
I can agree with that. I've meet Apple two or three times and she is a very happy,friendly dog.

I apologize, I assumed the dog was just scared and got aggresive. If it was just a reaction to the siezure and she didn't know she was biting anyone, or in this case, wasn't really biting, just moving her mouth, then it is totally different.

I guess I have a unique experiance with aggressive dogs. Bear in mind, I love dogs, but one day I was working in my yard and a neighbors dog, black lab well over 100 pounds, was being walked by an 8 year old. There where some kids playing in front of my house in the street and as the boy and dog passed the dog attacked a 9 year old. I ran to my truck and grabbed my gun and ran into the street. I grabbed the dog by the collar and pulled him off the boy. The dog then turned on me. I retreited to my yard slowly and he lunged at me. I shot him dead. It was a very tough thing for me to do, the boy had to watch me shoot his dog. I feel I had no other choice, I couldn't run to any sort of safety fast enough, and even if I did, what if the dog goes after the boy still laying and bleeding in the street? The worst part about it is, the dog had already shown aggression to others before. He bit another person in the neighborhood about 6 months earlier.

The whole ordeal could have been prevented. First of all, that boy had no buisness walking a dog he could not control. Second, the parents should have gotten rid of the dog after he showed to be violent. They said "They didn't want to hurt there son" but it would have been far less tragic then him having to see his dog shot in front of him.

Casper

Casper,
What a horrible experience! But you're right, they had no business keeping a dog that inappropriately bites people, and they certainly had no business letting an 8 year old walk it. There's no way a kid that age can be responsible for ANY dog, much less one over 100 lbs. It's a shame how irresponsilbe dog owners ruin things for those of us who are responsible. In any case, I'm sure that your experience will stay with you for a long time. But I think you did the right thing. A dog like that can kill a kid in short order.

Capslock

I'm glad that it is turning out that your dog is okay, I can imagine how horribly scary a seizure like that must have been.

Our dog, a Doberman Pinscher that my girlfriend has had for many years, is going to the vet tommorrow to get what looked (even just two weeks ago) like a regular mole removed... In that short of time it has doubled in size, cracked open, and started bleeding. We are hoping it isn't cancer, but it most likely is.

It is a real shame that some dog owners don't control their dogs better, and that situations like what happened to Casper, and that little boy, are allowed to happen. I have had a few situations with aggressive dogs myself, though none nearly that serious, thankfully. I was attacked once by a german shepherd, which broke the rope tying it up, while the owner stood by yelling that it is friendly and wouldn't bite. Luckily, when it tried to bite me, it caught my shirt only, and my clothes were the only thing it managed to chew on. My girlfriend has also had experiences with aggressive dogs a few times. It's a real shame how often those kind of things happen.
I'm always worried our Doberman will attack another dog. Our neighbors have a boston terrier they let run free, that occasionally comes into our yard. I don't get why anyone would want a dog to be able to run free, especially here, in the middle of a city, near some extremely busy streets, it is begging for trouble.

well, it wasn't your fault casper, you can't just let a dog attack you, you had to shoot it... dont feel (too) bad about it... and even if you had not shot the dog, just hit it with the butt of your rifle, the dog would have been euthanised anyways.
If an approaching dog attacks you, just grab its lower jaw and dont let go... a neighbors dog tried to bite me once, when the dog was running up to me the owner shouted to grab the lower jaw... it worked
biggrin.gif
well, sorta... i did get a few bite marks but it would have been worse if i didn't have its lower jaw... I've also heard that grabbing the tounge works too
ghostface.gif

Back