What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hee Haw!

• Thread starter butthead
  • Start date
Oh, it's real all right. I think that was the first year of the E55, and maybe the second year of the round-headlight E-class. Prior to that, the AMG-modified E-class was the E-500.

Capslock

oh ok. that's interesting though.

I am 52 years old and my interests are as long as my years. In addition to Cp (mainly Drosera and Utricularia) and other exotic plants, my main interests revolve around the guitar. I play acoustic guitar, perform, write and teach on the instrument. My muscial tastes are wide ranging, but I work mainly in the traditional forms of folk: bluegrass, folk, old timey, celtic and delta blues, mainly fingerstyle guitar. I collect and have an obsession with acoustic guitars. I am also into glass beads and MARBLES. I have a glass bead curtain of 150 6 foot strands which I hand strung. I am an avid rockhound and geologist with a focus on crystals, and enjoy tent camping cojoined with my in terest in collecting. I also am a sci-fi/fantasy fan and am well read in "vintage" sci-fi/fantasy. Other interests are digital macrophotography, poetry, cooking. I am a student of mysticism and the occult sciences. I am an ex-brewer and beer snob. I like to party. I was and forever shall be an ardent fan of the Grateful Dead, and have a keen interest in psychedelic music and art. I was a sailor, but will go to sea no more.

eplants02, my father also used to have the 1999 E55, it did 0-60 in 5.4 I think, although some people say they could do 5 flat... The new car is good for 60 in 4.2, and on a road course I have taken it 111 mph. Quite the car. 469 hp and 519lb-ft of torque at 2650rpm. The old one would move, but the new one flat hauls. As for the two body style old E500, that was a project with Porsche, which provided the proof needed to justify building an AMG variant of the E-class. Before that, AMG supplied aftermarket parts for the E that were some help, but the complete car is much better. Just my one fiftieth of a dollar. Ciao,
Lithopsman
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Lithopsman,

Thanks for proving I'm not going crazy! And yes, I'm slumming over here with only 400 ft/lbs of torque.

Tamlin,
Great stuff! Who's your favorite sci-fi author? Mine without a doubt is Philip K ****.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcrwt644 @ Feb. 09 2004,18:03)]spectabilis73-I use to work in san diego.  I worked on NASNI (which is the naval station for those who may not know).  I controlled the airspace from about San clemente island south past TJ. I also worked the areas off of Big Sur, Salinas, and Oakland.  So I am familiar with all of the nocal stuff.  Towers are still used, probably more then ever.  Basically, there are severaly layers to the Air Traffic system.  1-the tower, they get you up to about 10k feet or so, depending, and hand you off to 2 approach control and they can take you as high as 23k feet or so.  Then there is us, the center.  We handle you up at the highest elevations, as well as to the ground in some spots.  I control around Raliegh NC, and there are places known as uncontrolled airports where pilots do their own thing and we clear them to where ever after that.  It can get to be very busy.  We handle in the neighborhood of 8500 operations on any given day.
That's cool. What do you think of Free Flight and the new global grid system of fixes?

73, I am not sure what you mean by the free flight, but I think you mean the newer gps system by the second part of your post? The gps and waas and al that good stuff is really amazing. The pilots and cpus do it all themselves. It is kinda scary, but when the system goes down, it is right back to the old standby...us.

Capslock, I don't wan't to rain on your parade but I was thinking it was 365lb-ft, but regardless, that car really hauls, and before you sell it, you must engage in at least one very fast, very fun passing of a slower (preferably with a trailer) car or truck. Wow. It is immensely powerful, with an extra surge at around 85-100 MPH. Enjoy!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

lithops, now that I'm looking at reviews, it's 391 lb-ft. Coulda sworn it was 400 somewhere. Oh well, it's a ton. And yes, I've had the proper fun with it! I've had it for a few years!

Caps

srt-4 vs. the amg?  can we bolt some slicks and a 100 shot on it?  it is a front wheel drive car, afterall, he, he, he...  actually, i don't think that the owner has the kahunas for that, so you'd have to run my buddy's boring "expresso"...  of course, that's a low 12 sec car...  he's looking for 11's this year, looking at cages and whatnot...
really, if your ever heading out to ohio in the amg, and want to "play" a bit, let me know.  if the neons aren't tempting enough, i can arrange something a little more appropriate, say, a 500 wheel horsepower mustang?  
what i don't get is, why and amg e55, would have a 155 mph limiter on it, the same as the srt-4?

seriously, let me know if you're coming to ohio in the amg.  i'll even pay your admission to the track... i'd hate to see a $70,000.00 car get beat by the neon (it only has approx 280 hp at the wheels)...

brian

wow. i don't EVEN have the financial resources to drive a Mercedes. Who would've though, cps and Mercedes
laugh.gif

Anyway, I've been wanting a New Beetle for several years
now and I've finally got one. (hence, the overly joyous enthusiasm.) What can I say, it sure does feel good to turn the heated seats on when on the rare occasions it gets chilly.

Mostly I wanted a car that could go fast, and still be styling going slow, which is mandated by our traffic out here.

However, I have come to the conclusion that for me, there are better things to spend on than expensive cars, and thus, it's history. Hello Honda!

Caps

the AMG cars would be alot nicer AND faster if they came in manuel trannies. Whats with AMG only using laggy super slow slush boxes?

The autobox is fine, the new E55 even has fingertip buttons to shift and a manual mode. The old E55 stats are:

HP: 365
lb-ft. torque: 391
0-60: 5.0sec

Capslock, don't sell it!! It will be worth a lot in a few years, the deflation wears off fast!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

the new man-u-matic type auto trannys can actually shift much faster than anyone with a conventional manual could. even if you had a "dog box" tranny with straight cut gears and only had to lift off the gas a tiny bit, then jam it into the next gear, you still couldn't shift it as fast as a computer could.

techno...

And folks, there you go, that's why it is so much fun to double blip and fly out of the corners!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Back