What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a 24 gallon "high" tank

Finch

Whats it to ya?
I have a unused 24 and 35 gallon "high" tank that i may use as a terrarium. But will the light (2 ft away from the bottom) Be too far away from the plants for proper growth?

Consider laying this on its face so the top faces you. The opening can be closed with some plastic film or plexiglass: it will likely put the light closer to the plants and give you extra space. 2 feet is quite a distance: even several inches can make a huge difference in the effectiveness of the light reaching the plants.

Also, a terrarium is not a strict necessity for many species, and a rack system can often produce excellent results, esp. if used with a humidifier. Even a thin sheet of plastic will greatly reduce the light specturm the plants use, and should be avoided whenever possible. I recommend a minimal of 2 four foot shop lights with 50/50 cool white/balanced spectrum if there is glass between the plants and the light tubes. Less will produce weaker and atypical elongation and lack of color.

You could fill the tank with some sand - maybe a 1/4 or so. I use plastic containers thatwill get the plant closer to the light. Neps do not need to be right next to the light as they tend to grow big along with pitcher plants (Sarrs). As for the vft's and sundews plastic containers work well to get them closer to the light.
smile.gif

Travis

I took tamlin's advice for the terrarium. I laid my 55 gallon on its side and am lighting it with four forty watt gro lux (soon to be more), and it works great. I am going to do it for my 30 gal tank as well. It is much easier to access the plants and all that as well, good luck.

Travis

Pots sitting on plastic containger would look a little silly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I recommend a minimal of 2 four foot shop lights with 50/50 cool white/balanced spectrum if there is glass between the plants and the light tubes.  Less will produce weaker and atypical elongation and lack of color.

Would 2 four foot shop lights with 50/50 cool white/balanced spectrum wihout glass make up for the distance.
I gust got a tape mesurer out and altough the aquarium is not available, id say its more of a foot and 3/4 high at the most. It wouldt of fit in the space i had it in if it was 2 feet high
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 10 2004,17:11)]Travis

Pots sitting on plastic containger would look a little silly.
hehehe...Well I am not the one for style - I figure if it gets the job done I am game.
wink.gif
cool.gif

Travis

Hey Finch -

I have one of those kinds of tanks too. Inside I have 2 very large Neps in 1 foot deep pots. I set two 4 foot shoplights on top and they extend 1 foot on either side. On the right grow some of my hardier Neps and on the left, a raised up tray of miscellaneous Sarracenia that are indoors for the winter.

Good luck with it.

WildBill

Great suggestion, Tamlin.

I just moved all of my smaller plants into a 2 foot terrarium which is oriented sideways like you mentioned.

I'm really happy that I have more room now. But, I am m not too happy with the saran wrap front, though. It's hard to see through, and harder to remove.

Any suggestions for a replacement side cover? I am a little bit budget limited, but I will listen to any solutions/ideas.

Thanks,
Pat

I think it depends what you want to grow as well.

For instance if you had some more mature Nepenthes that were 12" to the top of the plant then 2-2tube fixtures would be sufficient since they would only be 8" or so from the plants. If your going to grow short rosette sundews in small pots then the light would probably be too far away unless the tank was turned on it's side. Adding additional normal output fluorescent bulbs does not totally make up for distance. The light intensity drops off rapidly with increasing distance. To properly light plants from a longer distance you really need a more intense light. Like metal halide, sodium, compact fluorescent, highoutput type fluorescent.

Tony

Another thing to note is that if you cover the sides and back of your tank in reflective material (mylar, aluminum foil, mirrors) you can get away with less light. I have a 22 high that i grow my orchids in and i have no problem with light at all.

Trashcan, I use a piece of mylar taped to the front of the tank. Not great, but it works, you just need to be careful of where the tape goes. Anyone put mylar or reflective material on the bottom of the tanks???

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To properly light plants from a longer distance you really need a more intense light.  Like metal halide, sodium, compact fluorescent, highoutput type fluorescent.

Err how evpensive would a steup like that cost?

Back