What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Sarracenia Collection

We have begun to explore the concept of the formation of a National Collection of Sarracenia on this thread:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=10109

If you love these plants, and you too feel the sense of helplessness and frustration at the prospect of their decline in habitat, here is a chance to stand up and do something.

Please come and enter the discussions, and let your presence and support be known. We need you to join this First Congress of Sarracenia Preservation.

On behalf of the plants and future generations, thanks in advance for any help you care to offer.

Please everyone. This is very important to saving the very plants you love so much. Don't just talk the talk...walk the walk.

Check out the thread in the Conservation Forum (which I might add, gets very poor traffic for some reason...anyone know why?) and offer your help in anyway possible. This is your chance to do more that cluck "tsk tsk" about the rapidly disappearing Sarracenia in the wild. This is for the future of the species and for the future CP lovers.

If "progress", developement and distruction of habitat is inevitable, lets make the effort to at least preserve these plants in collections so there will be a hope and real possibility of restoring them to nature whenever and wherever possible...and take the profit out of poaching to boot!

Check out the thread! Yes, its a huge project, but better to get it rolling than sit around and talk about it.
smile.gif

If you are a dedicated CP grower...offer your thoughts and your help.

This is a seedling of an idea...but properly cared for and nurtured, it will grow, bloom and bear fruit!

Bumping...because this is important!
biggrin.gif

About how many plants will be taken from each site?

Finch, thats undetermined as of now. We are in the process of seting the orginaztion up.

BUMP

The number of plants or the amount of seed that could be collected from a site would greatly depend on the number of plants at the site.

BCK

This IS really important & the more people who help, the less work there will be for all involved. This is our moment in history. Will you be there?
rock.gif

I wish I could, but I live in Europe.... If this plan is going to be a succes, are you going to organise something like this in Europe, somewhere near Holland?

Edit: Post Nr. 100!

It would be my personal hope that a National U.S. collection would seek active placement in as many other countries as possible. My own belief is that the more places the plants find to root in as their habitat is lost, the better.

well, I've posted my support
smile.gif
Let me know if you need any data collected or whatever from MI
smile.gif

There has to be an indepth study of the specific areas to see how many plants or seeds could be harvested. There should be several different groups this information could be collected from. I am going to check with my states game & parks and conservation offices and see if they have any information collected. I know that in Nebraska there are very few areas of pitcher plants left. We are not even listed on the national map for having them any more.

Back