What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attention AIM/AOL users

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I usally don't put internet warnings on forums as I find it a big ole waste of space.  But, I have recieved this from 3 forum members between yesterday and today (no names :p ).   I never downloaded the "news viewer" but want to warn the rest of you.   I read this warning today....

AIM Home > Get Help > Security Central  
Online Safety/Security FAQ
Important Information
We have received reports that a number of AIM users have received Instant Messages from someone on their Buddy List asking them to check out the following link: www.wgutv.com/osama_capture.php?dII5] IF YOU RECEIVE THIS MESSAGE, DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK, EVEN IF IT COMES FROM SOMEONE ON YOUR BUDDY LIST.  This link takes users to a web site that asks them to download a game. If the user agrees to download the game, the web site also installs a secret "adware" program on the user's machine that can deliver unwanted advertisments and promotions. The adware program will also send the same link out to every person on the user's Buddy List -- spamming their friends and associates with a link to the same adware.  HERE'S THE FIX: If you have already clicked on the link and downloaded that software, you can remove the adware program from your machine by clicking on Start --> Control Panels --> Add/Remove Programs and then removing a program called
" • BuddyLinks
• PSDT Messaging Integration
• PSD Tools ChannelUp v1.0 (remove only)."  
Additionally, if you have downloaded this program, you may want to alert friends and associates on your Buddy List how they can remove this software.

Please take whatever steps you need to in order to protect yourself or to get rid of this "adaware"  
Thanks,
Andrew

You were one of them.
biggrin.gif
glad to hear you got rid of it. I would like to take this time to also repoint out that "Adaware" is a great program for getting rid of spyware. lavasoft there is a basic free version that works great. Make sure to use the globe at the top right of the program to update the program before each run.
Andrew

MMM.... adaware... I LOVE that program.

thanks Andrew
smile.gif
sorry if my computer was busy while I was out at work today everyone
sad.gif

Back