What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warhammer Miniatures from Games Workshop

Just a fun post here, maybe someone else was into these "back in the day..." feel free to chime in if you were also a "gamer"!

I happened to step into a hobby shop the other day and see my old addiction as a kid, Warhammer fantasy battles miniatures! I had collected and painted tons of these infernal things with a whole Chaos army of the four chaos gods Nurgle, Tzneetch, Khorne and Slaanesh. I always thought the miniatures from the Uk Games Workshop guys were way better than the minitures by Dungeons and Dragons, Reaper or Ral Partha.

Does anyone remember the UK heavy metal band Bolt Thrower? The band was named after an elven warmachine from the band members plaing the Warhammer game! Their second LP "Realm of Chaos" was one of the finest early 1990s fantasy death metal ever recorded and all the artwork was done by the Games Workshop miniatures people, including a gatefold cover and pull out lyric booklet full of Warhammer artwork.

After standing in the aisle remembering all this I just had to buy a box of miniature aliens and a bunch of paints and brushes, come home and put on the old Bolt Thrower LP...

Ah, memories.... I feel 15 again!
biggrin.gif

Yes, I remember, I spent a pritty penny on all those space marines. Some where plastic and some where metal. Took me like weeks to prim and paint them.... sigh... They made a game on the playstation 2 that plays like it... But it's never the same.....
ghostface.gif

I never got to actually play the game more than a couple times since my friends were all into classic D & D (basically just dice rolling) which I thought was totally boring! So all I got to do was collect and paint the miniatures.
sad.gif

What I really liked was, sculpting and building a diorama or scenery/terrain for my creatures and customizing them with new heads and weapons or repositioning the arms.

Just went to the news agency today and there was a "Lord of the rings" Games Workshop magazine/rule book with 12 orc minatures... had to buy it, I think you call it regressing...

I was constructing a chaos army when I discovered "other things"
wink.gif
so it never eventuated. I always assumed "Bolt Thrower" was a coincidence... I was nieve back then, but some things never change.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What I really liked was, sculpting and building a diorama or scenery/terrain for my creatures and customizing them with new heads and weapons or repositioning the arms.

All my old plastic planes and tanks suffered a cigerette lighter and turned into scenery for 40K. I made an army for a friend that consisted of Dreadnaughts with heavy plasma cannons instead of bolters, they looked a treat and were unstoppable in game play. If only all those hours were spent doing homework
biggrin.gif
things would have been a lot more boring!  

George

Back