What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A really upsetting article

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date

Finch

Whats it to ya?
sad-smiley-003.gif

I was web surfing and i came across this article called U.S. Dog-Fighting Rings Stealing Pets for "Bait"

I read it and it is a truly upsetting report about a crule sport that is growing in popularity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But it wasn't until four years ago that the truth behind the killings emerged: Stolen family pets were being used in bloody training exercises by dog fighting rings.

I beleive that it is true because it comes from a fairly respectable site

sad-smiley-036.gif

What do you guys think about it?

It is true.  I live in Tucson Az and hear about it.  Infact, just recently about 8 dogs were poisened by feeding them cheese with strict 9 in it (the dogs were in their respective back yards...).   They still havn't figured out why that was done or who did it.  :-\
Andrew

i couldn't bear to read the whole article right now (i'm eating dinner at this moment...) but that is seriously demented.

i still can't understand how the human can have such a capacity for unnecessary cruelness. that really bytes and it pisses me off

Time and time again i hear of people who think of nothing but themselves and the quick buck.

Case and point: Indonesia, where timber outside protected areas is becoming scarce, Illegal lumberers give politicians and guards some cash so that they can conveniently ‘Look the other way’ when the harvesters remove the trees, animals, etc. from the national parks. They can think of nothing but themselves. If that contnues there will be nothing left, and everyone will be out of luck.

some times i feel as if i could just
angry-smiley-010.gif

A Vietnamese guy I worked with told me that twice his dogs had been stolen from his yard when he lived in "Saigon City" as he called it. The second time he saw the people making off with his dog, lasooing it and driving off on a motorscooter dragging his dog by it's neck.

Here in America such "kidnapping" of pets is also done second hand by the vivisection/animal research laboratories. It's not advertised but through those investigative reports shows, I've seen hidden video that they will pay $25-50 per animal "no questions asked" for use in cosmetic testing and other forms of non-critcal "research". Not too many people are willing to give up Fluffy to Mary Kay to have their eyelids cut off and mascara poured on them but someone else might be willing to take fluffy and hand him over for you.

The key is to be watchful of your pets!

I heard about this before and it is really sad
sad.gif

How about neutering as a punishment for the perpetrators of dog fighting?
I'll bet the popularity of that kind of activity would drop dramatically.
I have an old rusty carpet knife that I will be glad to donate.  
mad.gif

I remember when I was 3 we had a black lab named jake,the kindest gentlest beast you could ever imagine. And one day he went missing and there was no way che could have gotten away he came back about 2 months later and was all mutilated and we had to put him to s;eep,aparently somebody stole him and used him for dog fighting or esperiments,so sad:(
mad.gif

It is true that animals are stolen both for dog fighting and for animal research and vivisection.

One way to prevent your dog from being used for research is to get him/her TATOOED. There are several benefits to this: 1) It is against the law for a research facility to used tatooed dogs. While unscrupulous research facilities may still take your dog, its a least a little something you can do against this. Its better than nothing. 2) Also if your dog is killed by a car or injured and the police find it, they are supposed to report it. 3) It can assist in identifying your dog if he/she gets lost/stolen

This usually costs only about $10 and there are tattoo clinics offered (they tattoo their inside hing leg).

My dog has been tattooed with my social security number and state his entire life.

Please get your dogs tattooed folks.
smile.gif

P.A.K. good deal. The person who takes your dog will also be able to steal your identity and take all of your money.
hehe. (I pray you never need to go through either of those things though)
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Please get your dogs tattooed folks

sad-smiley-028.gif
That just sounds so weird.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]my dog has been tattooed with my social security number

I mean no offense, but why?

For the reasons I outlined in my post.  It prevents your dog from being used for research.  That is what they recommend you put on the tattoo.  If your dog is dognapped and taken out of state, they at least know what state he came from.  It is a permanent form of dog ID.

A tattoo tells in no uncertain terms that the dog (minus a collar and tag) has an owner and that he/she is property of someone. Police can probably run down the SSN to find the right owner.

Tatooing your dog seems a bit extreeme. i mean that hurts right =) (i have lots and lots of tatoos, but never thought about taking my do with me to the parlor =) anyway, i have had my dog stolen once twice before, both times i went and got him back and no harm was done (to the dog that is, the guy that stole him the first time still wets his pants when he sees a tire iron and the second time it happened, i brought half the local polica force) i have an American Bulldog that weighs about 155lbs so he's game for them, but i have gotten him back both times, so either i am lucky or i know how to get things done. I have been reading a lot about the "tracking chips" that they can install in the dogs to make them traceable, and i have been looking into it but it is really expensive. kinda works like those bugs you see in the james bond movies, but the service costs quite a lot. Best way to keep your dog is to never let them run unsupervised and train them very well.

My dog has been microchipped I dont know if it would help or not if he ever got stolen. But since he's a pitbul if he ever gets lost and ends up in the animal shelter it could szve his life. they normally give the animals 3 days and if the owner doesnt step forward they will euthanize without even trying to give it a home. All pits here get put down no exceptions
sad.gif
its pretty sad and scary. I once seen a momma in a kennel with all her puppies in another that were illegally kept at the indian reservation (its illegal to have pit on the rez). All were waiting to be put down cause obviously the owner couldnt get them. sorry I strayed from the subject. Anyway thats why I keep mine chipped.
wink.gif

The tattooing was no big deal. They did it VERY fast...the dogs were on and off the table in less than a minute. And they each got a treat afterwards and all the tails were waggin'. Didn't bother them a bit. They tattoo hundreds of dogs at each clinic.

For $10...I'd rather do it than not. You never know when it might save your dog's life or get him or her back to you if lost or stolen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Feb. 22 2004,22:38)]The tattooing was no big deal.  They did it VERY fast...the dogs were on and off the table in less than a minute.  And they each got a treat afterwards and all the tails were waggin'.  Didn't bother them a bit.  They tattoo hundreds of dogs at each clinic.

For $10...I'd rather do it than not.  You never know when it might save your dog's life or get him or her back to you if lost or stolen.
you don't need your social security number to get your dog back
smile.gif
if someone stole your dog, like adnedarn said, they could get anything they wanted of yours lol... All you need is your first and last name, phone number, addy,etc

lol I'd rather put my SSN than my NAME, ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER! Number 1) a dog would never hold still for all that to get tattooed 2) that's far more of an invitation to steal your identity than a SSN!

BTW...your SSN is on a million public documents so don't think putting it on a dog is more risky than filling in your average application form or drs. information sheet. lol You silly folks.
tounge.gif
I really can't recall an instance of identity theft from a dog's thigh.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]NAME, ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER

Many identety theifs go through old mail in the garbage can to get that information. Thats why i suggest using a paper shredder on things with personal information before putting it in the garbage. If they had SSN, your NAME, ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER, they could do just about anything they wanted with your money and ID

But i realy dont think it would be a problem. I mean, what theif would think to check a dogs thighs for social security numbers?
tounge.gif

My point exaaactly Finch.
biggrin.gif

Back