What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is "Safer" brand insect killer safe for cp's?

I have some Rose and flower insect killer its brand name is "Safer"
wonder if it will be safe for use on my cp's
lable says:
Acive ingredients:
Potassium oleate 1.50%
0.41% as potassium salts of other fatty acids
98.09% specially formulated combination of insecticidal soap an aromatics.
the lady said it was safe on cp's but i thought i would double check it as i keep most of my eggs in one basket so to speak => any one know if this may harm cp's?

No the safer brand is insecticidal soap wich is strongly alkaline and therefore highly toxic to cps.1
biggrin.gif

Safer has many products on the market, not just insecticidal soap. I tried their Garden Safe™ Fungicide 3™ on my D. anglica CAxHI last week because it had some aphids. The aphids are gone and the plant is doing fine. Fungicide 3™ is a fungicide, miticide, and insecticide that uses clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil as it's active ingredient.

smile.gif

BCK

I have used the Pyrethins based insecticides by Shultz with great effects on both Nepenthes and Sundews but the stuff MAY have knocked out my Utricularia alpina. It is possible that the U. alpina simply decided to go dormant soon after I used the insecticide-time will well if the plant comes back from it's tubers or not.

The Pyrethins based insecticides I use are made with chrysanthemum flowers and is much safer than soap or copper based insecticides on CPs (but don't overdo it as insecticide is still poisonous to you and your pets). I have not tried any systematic type insecticides because two or three treatments with the Pyrethins actively knocks out the odd bug problem that pops up. The Pyrethins is a contact insecticide so you must actually mist the bugs with the stuff to kill em, it is not absorbed by the plant and secreted when the bugs eat it. So you need only mist it on areas where you actually see insects. But if like me you're lazy so just mist the whole plant with the pyrethins (top and bottom leaf surfaces and stem/top of soil), wait 10-15 minutes and then spray the plant with pure R/O to wash the excess insecticide and dead bugs off. Sometimes I have to do this 3 times (1 treatment every 5 days apart) to knock all consecutive generations of bugs/hatching eggs out but once they're gone they're gone.

Back