What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society Meeting!

Hello,
    the meeting was great! I met up with capslock, but missed bugweed by only 2 minutes! me and the cap talked for a little while, and eventually i got him to buy 25 raffle tickets!
biggrin.gif
I swear, 10 of his tickets won! (you never did get the ticket I taped to the side! lol j/k) there were some really nice nepenthes cuttings for the raffle, one had a 14 inch pitcher on it! but when the cap won, he didn't pick that plant!
mad.gif
also, there was a very rare plant from japan, that only the one grower in the bay area has!
ghostface.gif
(caps, do you remember what it was?)

And thats another one for the school kids!
biggrin.gif
(inside joke) Hopefully those kids will be lured into cps! soon they will be illegal, they are so addicting!
wink.gif

Peter did a slideshow on wild cobra lily bogs, and I got osme really good *secret* sites, too! I, hopefully, will go up there with him this fall, if he does another trip.

Hey Spec,

Good times.

Yeah, the raffle was pretty good, a lot of people brought a lot of plants for it. I narrowly missed both the hybrid nep cuttings Spec mentioned. The one with the pitcher was N. x dyeriana, and the rare one was, I believe, N. x Nagoya. N. x dyeriana is (N. x Mixta x (N rafflesiana x veitchii)), and N. x Nagoya is (N. thorelli x x Mixta). I also just missed the N. gymnamphora which I really wanted, and the Cephalotus "hummers giant". And yes, the school kids are getting lots of D. capensis and miscellaneus Saracenia.

However, I did get a great drosera from our pft friend Emesis. Thanks! And I won some nice cuttings in the raffle, including N. reinwardtiana, N. ventricosa x inermis, N. burkei x villosa, and N maxima x veitchii.

All in all a great show, and Mr. D'amatos slide show was terrific. Right here in California you can find Darlingtonia, Pinguicula macroceras(?), and D. rotundifolia all growing together! Good stuff.

Capslock

Capslock,

Great, that you won some stuff this time.

The ping that you menioned that was partly studied by Hawkeye Rondeau is P. macroceras ssp.nortensis. I had the pleasure of going out in the field with Hawkeye 2 years back.

Lastly, the sundew that I gave you is D. madagascariensis "Botswana".

Back