What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alan Lowrie Seed List

hello,
Does anyone have the new lowrie seed list, and alans contacts? I think there was someone from australlia did, but i can't remember who...

Please PM me. Please don't start an argument anybody, about alan. we don't want another one of those big arguments for no reason here!
wow.gif
sad.gif
ghostface.gif
if you have anything bad to say, just pm me. don't start a riot. we don't want that.
smile.gif

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the expression of opinion and healthy discussion.  
smile.gif
  It is when a person(s) cannot accept someone else's differing opinion and starts making personal attacks that things can get ugly and of no useful purpose.  Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing as long as it doesn't dissolve into a flame war of ugliness.

Anytime anyone wishes to express an opinion...do so!  Just be prepared to accept the fect that not everyone will agree with you...and leave it at that.  Its called **TOLERANCE**...and we all need a good dose of that to keep this world running smoothly.  
smile.gif

Discussion is always encouraged...we can learn from it.  Just don't make it personal...and don't take it personally.

My never-ending 2-cents in support of acceptance and tolerance of differences.  
smile.gif
  What can I say...I'm a peace-nik.  
cool.gif

What would anyone argue about Alan for?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Odysseus @ Mar. 01 2004,09:41)]What would anyone argue about Alan for?
no reason really, but you know how the individual trouble maker comes by every 6 months ors o and makes trouble, well that happened last year with the lowrie list, i hate to bring it up...

If you do not like your VFT / Sarracenia getting poached, think about all the tubers "people" dig up in down under for sale...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JanW @ Mar. 01 2004,10:05)]If you do not like your VFT / Sarracenia getting poached, think about all the tubers "people" dig up in down under for sale...
that is exactly what i mean about starting an argument... people may, and will, misinterpret that.
also, what does that have to do with alan lowries seed list? he doesn't sell plants, just seed.
rock.gif
wow.gif
(sorry, but i just don't want another one of them nasty gory arguments.)

this topic may be best closed. if you have the list, PM me.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Mar. 01 2004,06:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Odysseus @ Mar. 01 2004,09:41)]What would anyone argue about Alan for?
no reason really, but you know how the individual trouble maker comes by every 6 months or so and makes trouble, well that happened last year with the lowrie list, i hate to bring it up...
That is not entirely accurate Spec

Last years argument was not so much an argument about Lowrie as it was a personality conflict between some people.

The arguments that usually spark over Lowrie are from the rumor that most of his tuber stock somes from wild collection and that his seeds are rarely viable because they have been kept in storage for so long (i.e. he never throws out seed that is a year or more old.)

As Suzanne said, a civil discussion on the matter is allowed but if mud slinging or slander shows up then we Mods will do what we must do. So if you wish to say something along the lines of:

'Every time I order seed from Lowrie I never get germiantion. Does anyone else have this problem?'

That is fine. However, if you say:

'Lowrie suck!!! His seed never germinates, he is just ripping people off to make a quick buck! I hate him and I don't think anyone should order from him!!'

That would not be acceptable.

You see the first one is inviting discussion where as the second is nothing more than a screaming and is just blatanly rude and uncalled for.

Make sense?

Oh, and Spec I have his contact info I'll PM it to you tomorrow

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Mar. 01 2004,07:07)]what does that have to do with alan lowries seed list? he doesn't sell plants, just seed.
rock.gif
Actually Lowrie does sell tubers and plants. I have one of his cataloges.

Jan,

I understand the point you are trying to make but I could also reply with; Where do you think every plant in cultivatin originally came from? Someone had to collect from the wild at some point. There are times when it is acceptable.

Is it wrong for someone to purchase a wild collected tuber? (I am not refering specifically to Lowrie here but I should point out that it is good to remember that it is only rumor that he wild collects.) What if that person has the absolute ability to grow and propogate the plant? What if that person works for a botanical garden and is going to introduce the tuber to TC for mass propogation. Is it still wrong then?

The problem is not giving away some tubers/some plant material to get them in cultivation. The problem is to get rare species and sell them for anyone regardless of experience and rarity level. The common species like D.auriculata will not go extinct, because there are many sites. But D.zonaria did! Some people do not take some plants, they plunder. B. gigantea has been sold worldwide without limitations as it was on the CITES list already.

I do not like the idea of beginners getting the most rare drosera species on this planet and let them die because they cannot cultivate them. So if you are a beginner, think before ordering such species.

And yes most of the old seeds on Lowries list do not germinate, see the endless threads in the international mailing list for reference.

Jan,

As I said before I see your point, I was just trying to show that there are other sides to the argument. Thank you also for bringing up that beginners need to know their limits. The person who goes out and purchases a plant they can not care for is just as guilty as the person who pilages the land. If you can't grow D. peltata (the easiest tuberous there is) then you have no business going for something like stolonifera or erythrorhiza.

I do not believe D. zonaria is extinct

Back