What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which religions are represented here?

• Thread starter Odysseus
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SnowyFalcon @ Mar. 02 2004,10:59)]May I point out though that its what you believe that's going to count in the long run, not which church you belong to.

SF
AMEN!!
wink.gif
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]May I point out though that its what you believe that's going to count in the long run, not which church you belong to.

Good point SF.

I'm a Christian and I go to a Nazarene denomination church.

-buckeye

I use to be a Baptist, but now I'm apart of the "I just KNOW" movement.

Oh, Snowy, what a Presbyterian answer!  (No offense - I know this because I used to be one!)  
And neo-patchwork  
rock.gif
  -- I LIKE it, Travis!
I think it would be far more intersting to discuss just what we believe in, sort of like Copper & others have done, rather than to name a religion.  Some do find it necessary to identify with a community.  That's ok.  But, then, this is a plant forum, eh?  
wow.gif
  And we all identify with this one, right?    
biggrin.gif

I believe that through a unique collection of Nepenthes, Drosera, Sarracenia, and vfts, I can achieve plant nirvana.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Mar. 02 2004,07:15)]I believe that through a unique collection of Nepenthes, Drosera,  Sarracenia, and vfts, I can achieve plant nirvana.

Capslock

Ditto.
See the psychedelic colours of the Nepenthes, smell the funk of rotting insects in Sarracenia, feel the cold dew drops of Drosera and Pinguicula, get sucked into the vortex of the Utric....
smile.gif

BAM! I'm converted! I'm not longer Atheist! I'm now a member of the church of CP worship!

Oh, my. What will the neibhors think of THAT idol?
wow.gif

I'm Lutheran.

Cole

Atheist

Baptist
smile.gif
,There is only one God.
cool.gif

Jerry

I was born a catholic but I didn't want to follow that belief for a few good reasons so I became an atheist for a while , then I wanted to give buddhism a try with my grandparents but i did'nt want to follow that anymore either for the same reasons so now I am 100% atheist now . Although i do wicca once in a while though .

"...do wicca..."  ?  That strikes me something like "doing catholic" or "doing jewish"  
rock.gif
 Is it according to what's in vogue?
How about this one?

"You have to just marvel at the stun-gun absurdity of fighting to the death over what happens after you die. "
— Dennis Miller (1953- ).

or this --
"A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle"     --Vique

And there's more...    
tounge.gif
   (here    http://www.jimpoz.com/quotes/religion.asp)
Hey, this is fun but I want to hear more about what folks believe  -- AND what they do everyday to live those beliefs.  
biggrin.gif

I wish I knew some voodoo! There are always a few people that I would enjoy praticing on. First, I will have to practice my ninja skills to get peices of their clothing...
wink.gif
hehehehe...
laugh.gif

Free spirit and thinker...not bound by any sectarian rule of thought. Though some pagan and Buddhist thought applies. I am not "religious" but consider myself a spiritual person. I believe in peace, harmony, tolerance, love and Mother Earth.

I guess there isn't a slot for all that.
biggrin.gif

I am free of religion, as a set of doctrines one must follow to appease god(s) or achieve peace with others or nature. Laws can't fix anyone. I'm a strong believer in fallen man's need for redemption and a close relationship with his creator, though! How sad that many worship the doctrine or the creation rather than the creator...

speaking of quotes:

The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank.
Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828 - 1882)

I always admired atheists. I think it takes a lot of faith.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Seoul Mates, 1991

To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree.
Charles Darwin, Origin of the Species

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey, this is fun but I want to hear more about what folks believe  -- AND what they do everyday to live those beliefs.

Good post Lavenderdawn.

I'm atheist and surprised to see so many fellow atheists here.
I don't believe there is a god but funnily enough I think there is a definite place for religion.
The ten commandments and any other of life's lessons that are supposedly the word of god seem to me to be common sense and I don't feel that I need the threat of an omnipotent being watching over my shoulder to ensure I behave myself.
My wife, however, is one of the few Japanese christians that I have met (as is the rest of her family) and a regular churchgoer, and she takes my kids to church with her. I have no problem with that at all. I guess it may seem a little hypocritical but indoctrination that instills good morals in the kids is something I am willing to tolerate. I tell them my own thoughts on god when they ask and I am happy to let them make up their own minds when they are old enough.
I actually avoid discussing religion with my wife as the last thing I want to do is shake her faith. My wife is a saint (she puts up with me!) and she's happy with who she is. I think that her religiousness has a lot to do with it and I would hate to be responsible for damaging that.

Cheers, Troy.

PS There is an excellent forum that I enjoy browsing that disussing a lot of life's questions from an atheistic point of view here Internet Infidels Discussion Forum

hey, Troy, that was a very interesting forum.  Thanks for that link.  
laugh.gif

I like discussing 'religion' with others.  I think we should shake up our faith - regularly.  Determine carefully just what it is that we believe in.  I am doing that everytime I think about it.  
biggrin.gif

Lavendar,

In answer to your statement of wanting to hear more about what we DO with our religious beliefs, I'll say a little about my own.
biggrin.gif

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Many people call us by our nickname "The Mormons" because we use a book that contains the testimonies of a people not living in Jerusalem but in South America. These people testify of Jesus the Nazareth and confirm Him as the Savior Jesus the Christ as does the New Testament. Because we read the Book of Mormon people call us Mormons. At any rate,
biggrin.gif
Lavender, one thing I can tell you I have done with my religious beliefs is what people know as an LDS mission.

A little over a year ago on September 13th, 2002 I returned from a two-year mission to the Netherlands and Belgium. Before I left for those countries I spent two months learning the basics of the Dutch language. Then I had the chance to see my family one more time for a few hours at the airport, then went on my way to help the Dutch people anyway I could with only the two months language training under my belt.

Let me tell you, IT WAS HARD!
biggrin.gif
Two years working 6 days a week, 12 hour days, and only talking with my family on the phone twice a year! Even though I had a lot of work out there to do, I tried to look my best so I had to deal with a tie and white shirt for TWO YEARS :p haha and spent all my time doing service for a people I had to learn to understand, I STILL fell in love with these people!

I feel that it was a great sacrifice for me. I left my life at home FAR behind, lost my girlfriend to some other guy whom she married while I was gone, put my schooling on hold, and I even paid for the whole two years myself!! With the help of my family with finances and the money I saved up during high school, I went and served my Lord, Jesus Christ on a mission in the Netherlands and Belgium.

I loved it! I struggled with it! I had a very hard time and I missed home. I did all this because I know that Jesus Christ is our Redeemer and Savior! I know that His works were to redeem us from two great obstacles, the physical death and spiritual death. His sacrifice in Gethsamene made it possible to repent from our mortal mistakes and His sacrifice on the cross then resurrection three days later made it possible for EVERYONE to raise from the dead and return to flesh and bone to have a perfect body and be resurrected beings. I know that I was called by a modern day witness of Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father. This witness is the mouthpiece of God on the earth. This witness is the Prophet. And the modern day Prophet knows Jesus Christ as well as I do, and called me along with over 60,000 other young men my age to go and do as the Lord commanded! To share the gospel as did the Seventy Christ appointed and especially the Apostles!

I know all this, so I told everyone I could! I deserve no credit really, because I didn't do it very well! Haha...I just gave it my best and did what I know was what my Father in Heaven wanted me to do.

So, Lavendar what I do with my religion is follow what the Lord commands me to do. Whether it is go on a two-year mission or as simple as read the bible on a regular basis for study. In my life I have heard the humble prayers of God's children in Russian, Persian, Swahili, Dutch, Flemish, Arabic, Spanish, twi, and even Icelandic. I learned on that Mission that people are cool! They are friendly, good hearted, and fun to love! I have no reason to care whether they have a zit covered face or even a traditional red dot on their forehead between their eyes. I love people. I know that we all are children of God. He is our Father! This is His plan! This is our world that He commanded Jesus Christ The Word to create for US! Life is awesome and worth living every day! And I want to testify that to everyone I can by example and not persuasion.

So, at any rate Lavendar. Thanks for asking, as you can see, I enjoyed talking about that. Just for interest. Here's a pic of me back out there on the mission. Here I am with Irene Borislavskaya in front of our church building in Leuven, Belgium. She is from Georgia. It is right next Azer-Baidjan and Armenia. She was a wonderful lady who we helped come back from suicidal desires, and now she nicknames me in Flemish her "Lieve Beschermer" meaning her "Dear Protector." When I left that mission in September, 13th 2002 I cried, and I still cry today with happy tears knowing that I was in the right place at the right time!

King_on_The%20Mish.jpg

Hi Odysseus

Interesting!
I have a couple of questions which are not meant to be at all derogatory.
Why does your religion include the people that you mention from Sth America?
What is the purpose of a mission exactly?
Do you have any special skills that made you think you were especially able to help the Dutch?
What kind of help did the Dutch people you met need?
What do you do for a living now?

Can you recommend any good sites about your faith, I know nothing about it and I find it fascinating to read about different religions. I already found this one Mormon Org, are there any others?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss this here on the forum.

Cheers, Troy.

I grew up essentially without religion..
which I was always very thankfull for!
I thought it was a great gift from my parents..
My parents sent my Sister & I to Sunday school when were kids, but only for a few years, when I was maybe 4-5..
I guess just to give us a taste..(they are borderline Christian..more of a cultural relic than a deep belief)
nothing much stuck, and my family never went to church..ever.

I asked my Mom "what religion are we?" when I was in highschool, when I started to think about it..she said "Well, your father and I are Christians..but you can be whatever religion you would like to be."

SO COOL!
my parents rule..thanks Mom & Dad!
and thansk to that gift, I was never forced to accept any religion..and it has given me much time to think about it..

I always believed (and still do) that its not religion, or lack of religion, that makes a person good or bad, morally speaking...
its only our own choices..
I know many atheists who are MUCH more "moral" and "good" people than many Christians! (or whatever religion..)
and vice-versa..

im not against religion in general..I just dont buy into any one specific religion.
I believe that NO world religion is the "true" religion..
in fact, the very reason there are SO many different religions today is that humans CAN NOT know the absolute truth about God! (or the creator, or great spirit, or whatever..)
so what do humans do? they guess!
biggrin.gif

they try to figure it out..
and they come up with a whole bunch of different theorys..which become a whole bunch of different religions..

religion, to me, is simply something humans use to attempt to figure out that which is unknowable..
take the ancient Greeks..they saw the Sun rise every day, travel across the sky, and set in west..they thought "hey? what is that big thing? it must be really important! it gives us heat and light, plants seem to need it..hey! I know!
lets say its "Apollo the Sun God"! He gets in his golden chariot and travels across the sky every day!
ok! problem solved! now we KNOW what it is!"
and the thing is..to them it absolutely was, 100%, without ANY doubt, Apollo the Sun God!
they found religion! their religion answered all the questions about their life..
whats really weird, to me, is that if you ask any person today "hey..were those ancient greeks right? IS the Sun actually the Sun god in his golden chariot"?
everyone would say "NO! of course not! we know better today in our enlightened times! we know that:
"The sun is a mass of incandescent gas
A gigantic nuclear furnace
Where hydrogen is built into helium
At a temperature of millions of degrees"
(TMBG)
Those ancient Greeks were just ignorant back then..their religion was nothing but myth"

but those same people will say, with a straight face, that THEIR religion is absolute fact ?!?
when they dont know any better than the ancient Greeks did!
I find that amusing..

I believe in God, and im bending toward the Christian side of the spectrum..my girlfriend is a devout believer, and she is teaching me a lot..
I believe in certain aspects of Christianity..I believe in God and Jesus Christ..
but I also know for a fact that evolution is undoubtly true.
and God made homosexuals..so naturally he doesent hate them! in fact, I believe god WANTS them to get married!
So yeah..I have big issues with the Bible as a factual book..
I firmly believe it isnt factual..and that view can never change..
but! God is cool with all that..
I believe that God laughs at all the world's petty religious arguements..to him, no religion has it all right..all religions have parts of the truth, and other parts wrong..
Only He knows what the truth is..
and none of us will EVER know "the absolute truth" in this life..
God just wants us to try..to think about it..to try to get to know Him, Her, It, in whatever way works best for you..
He is happy if you make the effort..
beyond that, I believe he has no rules..
Humans made up those rules that are supposidely His..
they arent really..

I will never become a card-carrying Christian..
I will never believe in the Bible..
I believe in no organized religion.
I think most religions have aspects that are really quite terrible..
but God is cool with me thinking that..because I accept Him..
and think about Him, and try to get to know and understand Him..
thats good enough for Him..
He accepts that..
I am not for, or against, any other belief system.
I just believe what makes sense to me..
thats my religion.

smile.gif

Scot

Back