What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window + Growlight + ?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Let's assume for sake of argument that you have a CP on a window sill, next to a clean, thin, single pane window, with a good growlight on top, a few inches away. How far short does that set up come to the real thing - the sun?

uuh closer than either light sorce on its own

what is the growlight, and how much sun does it get through the window? You may find that either would be fine.

Joe

That is what I use to have before my supernova of a light system. It works, but outside, or a bunch of lights is still better, then again, I mostly had only VFT then, and a lot of times you need more light then the sun can give in the north were I live to get any real color out of them.

That's the setup I have with my sarracenia seedlings. It's a long way from sunshine, but its better than artificial light alone, or vice versa.

like i said

.... hey your a mod and you dont even have one square...

OOOOh I was looking trough a my Popular Science magazine, this months issue, and i see a interesting add. "by installing solartubes in your home, you'll be able to capture and redirect sunlight to the areas that need it most", and a nifty little diagram.

Wow now you can get a sunburn without having to go outside
tounge.gif

Sadly, it doesnt look as if it could handle the volume of light need to grow cp's under it, but its a interesting and noteworthy concept

Yeah I noticed that. Squares aren't related to number of posts though.

It would make my avatar area cluttered though, so
tounge.gif

shhh, don't draw attention to yourself...  *looking around furtively*

I was looking for more sagely advice on photosynthesis and we're back on the moderator square thing? What did WPG start?!
tounge.gif

I suspect a combination of Spring Fever and Spring Break are the cause of all this tom-foolery lately.

laugh.gif

BCK

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Mar. 14 2004,10:31)]Yeah I noticed that. Squares aren't related to number of posts though.

It would make my avatar area cluttered though, so  
ghostface.gif

tounge.gif

wow.gif

mad.gif
 <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>HEY! YOU DONT HAVE A SQUARE! MODERATORS! GET OVER HERE! NOW!!!!! DO YOUR JOB, SQUARE THIS GUY, HES THE ONLY MOD WITHOUT SQUAES, HES THE ONE WHOS BEEN SQUARING ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mad.gif
</span>

Actually, he is not the only mod with no squares ...  
wink.gif

Spring break may have something to do with it but here, it's a severe case of cabin fever.  There is still snow all around, it's still freezing at night  *sigh!*  
sad.gif

sorry for the distraction, Jim

I saw the absolute coolest set-up for getting sunlight inside!
it was on-line somewhere..saw it years ago and unfortunately I cant find it now!
sad.gif

But I will try to describe..

The person who built it was using it for a huge Salt-water aquarium, but the same concept would work for plants..
He used it to get DIRECT sunlight to shine down on his aquarium..from straight up, rather than using artificial lights..

Picture this..
you have a skylight in the roof, with clear glass, open to the sky.
directly below the skylight you have your plants, or aquarium, or whatever..
now a skylight by itself is nothing too exciting, and doesent actually give a ton of light, especially if it is up high,
but here is the cool part!
There is a mirror outside the skylight, on the roof.
The mirror is attached to a tracking mechanism from a high-end telescope..
these tracking motors are used to move telescopes perfectly in-line with stars, as the stars move..
in other words, you can line-up the computer to a specific star, and the motor-drive will move the scope in perfect sync with the star..
well..the sun is a star right?!  
laugh.gif

So..you can make the mirror, outside the skylight, track the sun all day and direct a direct beam of sunlight straight down into the aquarium or whatever!!
keeping the object below in direct sunlight as long as the sun is out!!
yes you get less light if its cloudy..but you do outside as well!
basically, its a mechanism to keep direct sunlight on an object that is *indoors*..just as if it were out in the open up on your roof!
I love it!!  
biggrin.gif

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] these tracking motors are used to move telescopes perfectly in-line with stars

Yes, you too can have this amazing system that could set your house on fire for just $5,000.

LOL, sorry.

Suntubes I think was what was first mentioned in this thred as alternet light sources. I have those in my house. They help, but not that much.

...Photosynthesis? Each plant has a maximum rate of photosynthesis, you are unlikely to reach this without a very large lighting system or natural sunlight in carnivorious species.
smile.gif
is that what you were looking for?

if its just a flat mirror, it wouldnt be able to set anything on fire..its just reflecting the sunlight, the light reflected from the mirror is no more dangerous than the normal sunight coming through windows naturally..
now if you *focus* the light, with a magnifying glass, thats a different story! but a mirror is harmless..
yes I know you were kidding!
but I still wanted to mention that..

Scot

Magnifying glasses remind me of some bugs I knew way back when - if you catch my drift!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 15 2004,17:22)]Magnifying glasses remind me of some bugs I knew way back when - if you catch my drift!
LMAO...

*sizzle*
wow.gif
laugh.gif
mad.gif

Spec - you is one demented 99 year old!

Back