What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do 10 gallon to 100 gallon fish takes work for cps

do 10 gallon to 100 gallon fish takes work well for cp's? i was going to try some this summer but before i spend any money on it i thought i might ask around.

also what might be the best peat/sand mix for inside a fishtank like that?

will be used for growing mostly vft's an a few other cp's too.

-steve/jamezs5

Sure, as long as you take into account the basics: appropriate lighting, humidity, temps, air circulation, and media. Speaking of media, everybody has their favorites and all have their pros and cons.Spectabilis73 recently answered a post delineating the pros and cons of LFS, peat, sand, perlite etc... My favorite: Two inch layer of LFS, followed by two inches of peat, followed by 2 inches of pool filter sand. All media should be rinsed with distilled water first.

Sure, I have 7 neps, and a heli in a 10 gallon.  But this setup isn't going to work much longer, the neps are getting too big
sad.gif

207terrarium.jpg

I grow most of my plants in terrariums and suffered no problems until I moved them to the grow chambers. I lost my Heli. I wonder if it was some kind of shock due to environment change even though it should have been an improvement.

Yah, growing them in tanks is great. Ushually it is best to set the pots in the tank rather then planting directly in it. This is proticularly true for plants that need to go dorment like VFTs because it lets you remove them from the tank without disturbing their roots.

If you prefer the look of soil right in the tank, try planting the plants into the soil while they are still in their pot. Then you can just pop the pot out of the dirt when you need to put someone to sleep for the winter.

If you do deside to plant directly into the soil medium, then I would recomend 2 inches of a drainage media on the bottom followed by a 50-50 sphagnum peat silica sand mix as this mix may not be the bast for all species you might place in their, but is good overall for most. If you can get some live sphagnum carpeting the top of the soil too, that helps reduce fungle infections and retain moisture
smile.gif

I grow a lot of my CPs in tanks from 10-gallon to 20-gallon and they do fine.  However they are grown in pots, not in soil.

Speaking for myself, growing the plants in soil presented too many problems.  Just make sure you understand what the issues may be if you plan to construct your tanks this way (plants with varying requirements including temperature, humidity, dormancy, water, lighting, etc.)   In other words you wouldn't want to mix Drosera spatulata with a VFT in a tank as the VFT will need dormancy.  You wouldn't mix a plant that likes to stay waterlogged and in low light with a plant that likes well draining substrate and bright light.  It is also easier to remove a potted plant from a tank if problems develop like fungus or a pest.

Just some things to think about.  
smile.gif
Notice that Larry's plants are all potted.

Hey Larry...your truncata looks like mine (only mine's BIGGER...
tounge.gif
)...don't ya hate it when those pitchers start to go and the tops get all black and gross looking while the bottoms still look good? Ugh.

My truncata looks bad in that pic, but its grown a brand new pitcher.  I love mine, very small 2.5" leaves but big 5" pitchers.
smile.gif

You probably shouldn't mix neps and helis, but my terrarium is on the cool side so its happy in there.
wink.gif

Mine are also kept in pots. I tried one with soil and, oooo, I will never do that again.

i have used 10 gal, 20 gal (tall), and currentally a 55 gal tank all with pretty good results. i also keep all of my plants in individual pots.
take a peek into the greenhouse/terrarium forum for more info and ideas on setting up your tank.

enjoy!
technoracer

i know in my Biology lab there is a 10 gal. tank with an American pitcher plant, a sundew, a butterwort and venus fly trap. they are doing very well. i mean he has it covered with plastic and it there is a lot of light, but all the plants seem to be doing well. I think i might get a 10 gal. tank just put my sundews in and maybe some other plants that would go w/ the same conditions but that's further down the road though.

In my oppinion, tanks are great for the cp's that require humidity. However, I have found that VFT's, Sars, some 'dews and a select few neps fare much better outside of a tank...even in humidity as low as 40%. All of my sars and vft's (as well as most of my dews....and this year a nep or two) go outside on the deck in the summer. My big tanks are reserved for plants like the bical (lowland) and aristolochioides (highland) that really need air you can swim in.

Back