What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Thicket National Preserve

Hey folks,

Saturday I was able to make it up to Big Thicket National Preserve. Made it to the grand opening of the new visitors center, and of course no trip is complete without a walk down the pitcher plant trail. I saw quite a few open pitchers, and in one spot blooms as far as the eye can see. S. Alatas and D. Capillaris/ Brevifolia everywhere! More to follow as well as lots'a pic's. Just as soon as Mike Howlett sends me his copies.

Humm i tought national preserves and parks were running short on funds and cutting back services and programs.

Yes, I've heard that as well. Something about siphioning money into home land security. The Big Thicket however, has a broad range of local support. Plans are in the making to purchase a good deal more land in the very near future.
Also there are quite a number of people very active in conserving East Texas wildlife on their own. I was going to do a report with lot's of pictures, but I see this topic hasn't generated alot of response. This post was a probe to see if I'm wasting my time or not.  
rock.gif

This is the new visitors center. That's me with my "gift o' Flava" courtesy
of Mike Howlett.
This is my youngest and I at the new native CP exhibit.

Back