What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survey on Member Religious Preferences

Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

• Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Islamic religions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

• Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

• Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Pagan

• Atheist

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

• I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
The difference between Jehovahs witnesses' and true Christians' beliefs is that Jehovahs witnesses stretch parts of verses or teachings to mean what they want it to mean, and ignore the rest. I've seen them make a point with part of a verse, while the other half contradicted their point.
rock.gif

So, you're saying that JW's are not true Christians?  
rock.gif
  I know of quite a few that would take issue with that.  And as far as interpreting the Bible goes - JW's also don't have a monopoly on putting their own little spin on what's there.  
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolfpackgurl @ Mar. 27 2004,12:32)]awwwwwww. NOLU you lost your faith but you found a cool avatar!!!!!! i must steal it from you!!! where did you get it!!
I also 'borrowed' it from another site. I copied it and put it on some webspace I have
smile.gif

awesome NOLU. I know JW's probably would say they are Christians. I have a family member who is one. From doing my research they are not Christians. But not being a Christian isn't a bad thing. But they would call themselves Christians b/c of what they believe. But because they believe in Christ doesn't make them Christian. There are other things that define Christianity besides believing in Christ. Oh yeah and about finding that Mormons aren't Christians I went to several websites and read books about it. Mormons are pretty cool!!! But anyways enough of this! Lets all dance the night away!!!
laugh.gif
Anybody want some cookies and milk? NOLU what website did you find that avatar, I'm not gonna steal it i'm just gonna borrow it w/o asking. lol  
smile.gif

It was from a football (soccer) forum but it's no longer there. Go ahead and use it:)

Yes, I am saying JWs aren't true Christians. I am not saying they are the only people to twist the bible. But besides screwing God's word, they prophesy falsely. There have been a number of predictions made my the Watchtower that turned out to be false. Personally, I would rather not stand before the Ruler of the Universe after having done these things.
Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolfpackgurl @ Mar. 28 2004,12:35)]But anyways enough of this! Lets all dance the night away!!!
laugh.gif
Anybody want some cookies and milk?
Considering the title of this thread concerns religious preferences, let's stick to the topic, eh?  If you don't want to stay on topic, then why comment?  
rock.gif

I would be very interested in just how rubrarubra & wolfpackgurl define Christianity.  If it is not believing in Christ, then why would it be called that?  Now, whether or not they might be considered 'good' Christians would be another matter & one that would require a value judgement, eh?

Christianity means following Jesus Christ. This includes following his commands and teachings, allowing the Holy Spirit to work through and in you, and maintaining a relationship with God. I am not going to make any guesses at who God will or will not accept into his family, but the Bible does set high standards. I also don't think that there are "good" Christians and "not so good" Christians. But there is a difference between the faith, religion, and a compromise of both.
Peter

no i didn't mean change the subject i meant lets not get into a heated debate. and yes rubrarubra is right Christianity means following all of what Jesus has said. we are not defining Christianity to our standards there is a true defination of Christianity. The name "Christian" was first given to Christ's followers in Antioch not because of their moral goodness but because they believed in what Christ revealed. Those who did not believe all that Christ revealed were not called Christians. So, saying that Mormons aren't Christians does not imply that they are not morally good. Christianity does mean following everything Jesus said and believing in what he taught. If you define Christians as believing in Jesus then yes Mormon's are Christians, but if you want to go in a more definied meaning for Christianity then rubraruba gave an good answer but like i said Christians believe in everything that Jesus taught and said. Here are some things I found out about Mormons.
The Bible says, "God saved you by His special favor when you believed. And you can't take credit for this: it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it." - Ephesians 2:8-9

But the Mormans disagree with the above. In Article 3 of the Mormon Articles of Faith it says: "We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel."

[For Mormons the Gospel means the Book of Mormon].

website where i found this out.

also go here to find out more info on it. http://www.utlm.org/index.htm
or go to Mormons.com
like i said if you want to go by Webster's dictionary of what a Christian really is then they are called Christians.

but just to contradict myself here is something from mormons.org.

Question:
Are you Christians?

Answer:
Gordon B. Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said:
"We are Christians in a very real sense and that is coming to be more and more widely recognized. Once upon a time people everywhere said we are not Christians. They have come to recognize that we are, and that we have a very vital and dynamic religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ."

"We, of course, accept Jesus Christ as our Leader, our King, our Savior. The dominant figure in the history of the world, the only perfect Man who ever walked the earth, the living Son of the living God. He is our Savior and our Redeemer through whose atoning sacrifice has come the opportunity of eternal life."

"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints pray and worship in the name of Jesus Christ. He is the center of our faith and the head of our Church. The Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ and witnesses of His divinity, His life, and His Atonement."

so anyone can argue either which personally I would say they are Christians because my belief of Christianity is the belief in the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit. So I guess that is the basic rule of Christianity but there is a more direct defination of Christianity that includes a lot more then just believing in Jesus. Oh well I respect all religions and if Mormons say they are Christian I'm going to agree because to my belief of being Christian they are.

There is nothing wrong with a lively debate, as long as everyone is repectful.  What I was questioning was anyone making a statement without putting any thought behind it.  And I am heartened to see some thoughtful replies.  Those are very interesting links, wolfpackgurl, thank you.  I am fascinated by all the different ways that people can think about just one topic.  You just gotta love diversity.  I have a hard time defining religion because of that.  It seems to me that we all have our own very personal beliefs & that they differ even though some say they are of the same religion.  It seems to me that we each have our own religions.  Some of us prefer to identify with certain religions for whatever reasons are important to them.  And we express our belief systems, again, in the ways in which we find the most value.

a heated debate usually ends in name calling a lot and I can't stand it when that happens b/c some people don't respect others ideas, so I'm always like whoa whoa lets not become enemies. Myself personally I argue in two ways b/c im going to contradict myself so i address it b4 it even becomes noticed.

A good debate that doesn't get out of hand is a wonderful thing.  It's intellectually stimulating, can expand one's thinking to new places.  Then, again, some of us just like to talk...  
tounge.gif

There is a website www. dtl.org (darkness to light ministries). This website has very interesting email exchanges, articles, and much much more. I strongly urge anyone with a Christian belief or interest to visit this website. It will richly reward you with biblical truths and totally refute false doctrines. Please check it out. Gary Zeolla is the mans name on the site. He has translated a version of the New Testament that appears to be the most accurate,word for word translation available. This version is one of the very few translations based on the Majority Text manuscripts. It is a very literal translation known as the Analytical Literal Translation(ALT). I have the first edition. He currently is working on the second edition. It is even online for you to read. Check it out.

yeah when an argument explodes instead of a debate it's really annoying b/c then all hope is lost of ever understanding anything.

Cautionary note:  Debate is fine..."heated" is not.

Everyone should feel free expressing their opinions without being criticized or judged as being right or wrong.  This isn't about value judgements.  No one should feel intimidated about voting or speaking of their faith even if they are in the minority.

And neither is this the place for proselytizing. (Proselytize: To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.)  I'm not saying anyone is doing that, but I don't want to see it here.  A discussion is quite different that proselytizing.

Please watch how you word your statements.  Preface them with "I think..." or "I believe...".  For example:  "Yes, I am saying JWs aren't true Christians.  I am not saying they are the only people to twist the bible.  But besides screwing God's word, they prophesy falsely."  That's the kind of statement that can be inflammatory even if its not intended to be because it is a very broad and general statement with the word "they" encompassing ALL Jehovah's Witnesses--not just ones you may have had contact with.  Its sort of like saying "I know a few Hispanics who robbed a bank, therefore all Hispanics rob banks."  Its called a generalization.

There is an art to debate and that includes choosing your words wisely to be respectful of others right to believe differently than you do.

Keep it friendly and educational... please and thank you.  
smile.gif

PAK, When I refer to the beliefs of JWs I was going by what the Watchtower says, and what I hear when they come to the door.

WPG, I must say that whatever the beliefs of the Latter-Day Saints are, they did edit the Bible to fit their own needs. The way I see it, they are not exactly following Christ, but following their own version of his teachings.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm Catholic and have worked in a first responce field for almost 20 yrs off and on.. I've noticed that anyone who claims to be atheist is a follower and just wants to sound PC the "cool thing". But when the chips are really looking bad...It's amazing how they look for God to help them. Is it really that hard to be honest if only to yourself?

You know, I think that's a rather broad statement to say that Athiests are Atheists because it's the cool thing to do. I think EVERY RELIGION ON THE PLANET has people who follow it just to be included in the group. In fact, many religions FORCE you to follow them, or at the very least threaten you with eternal damnation if you don't. So please, let's not judge everyone in the group by a few individuals.
It's funny what you say about when a so-called atheist is in dire trouble. Just because we say "please God" doens't mean we beleive it God. It's just an expression, like "jumpin' jahosephats!" When everyone around you uses an expression, you tend to use it, too. Usually without any thought as to the meaning.
When my chips are looking bad, as you say, I will still be an atheist. I may fervently hope to be wrong, but that won't change my belief.
blues.gif

Back