What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survey on Member Religious Preferences

Survey on Member Religious Preferences - Choose what best describes your beliefs

• Far East religions i.e. Taoism, Hinduism, Confuciousism, Buddhism, etc.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Islamic religions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jewish religions i.e. Messianical Jew, Yiddish, Orthodox etc.

• Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D.

• Christian religions organized after 1800 A.D.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Pagan

• Atheist

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Different religion not based on a belief of traditional God(s).

• I draw my beliefs from one or more religious traditions to make it my own.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Don't affiliate with a religion or have any interest.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi Folks
smile.gif

By request I've set up a poll to find out how religious beliefs break down among the membership here.

If you'd like to add comments, feel free. Just remember religious beliefs are very personal and individual. Keep it respectful and tolerant of differences. Differences are what make us all interesting.
smile.gif

Pick your choice!

Suzanne/PAK

I'm just happy to live where you can do a poll like this! Let's all remember to keep it that way. Religious freedom and tolerance is is short supply around the world.

Capslock

Tolerance of everything seems to be short...

Nice work with the poll, plantakiss.

Well, its not my idea. It was requested by Odysseus who started the other religion thread and who supplied the categories. I just set up the poll. Glad to help.
smile.gif

This poll was quite belated. I had hoped originally to create it myself but for some odd reason you have to be a mod to create a poll. Why? I don't know, I don't see the harm in allowing polls to be created. But, at any rate. I was only allowed ten options, I hope that these options are satisfactory. Thanks for posting your vote.
biggrin.gif

Odys

Heya,

The problem was that there were tons of them before. Like 5-6 a day or something like that. And they weren't well researched, well put together, or even interesting. That's OK, but when there are so many, they get annoying very quickly and people complained, or stopped visiting the forums. Everyone gets annoyed with them and starts complaining, so that's why they were turned off. They were left on for mods, so that members can PM mods if they want to start one.

I'm not that religious of a person, though I consider myself a Deist (believe in the existance of some form of God but don't adhere to an organized religion). I was agnostic until one day when I left my backpack in the commons, went back 15 minutes later to find everything unstolen. Truly a miracle
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the answer about the polls. It's too bad that this forum can be misused that way. My favorite part about these CP forums are the information some bring from their experience. I enjoy the intelligent and scientific talk we get to hear. But, that's coming from a Horticulture major. I suck that info up like candy!
biggrin.gif

I'm an Atheist.

im Roman Catholic. Yippie Skippie Lol!!! My mom is married to an agnostic.
biggrin.gif

whats a Atheist?

An atheist is one who lacks belief in any deities.

Casplock

yup caps is right that's what one is. an agnostic is someone who believes that there may be something but they don't believe that there's enough evidence to decide if there is a higher power or if there isn't one at all. just thought i would put that out there in case someone didn't know what one was.

I'm Catholic and have worked in a first responce field for almost 20 yrs off and on.. I've noticed that anyone who claims to be atheist is a follower and just wants to sound PC the "cool thing". But when the chips are really looking bad...It's amazing how they look for God to help them. Is it really that hard to be honest if only to yourself?

Snipe...you are entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else here. This is just a poll to see the diversity of beliefs among the members and nothing more.

I'm sure everyone has a basis for their beliefs and those beliefs can certainly change depending on life experiences, growth, study, age and many other factors. If someone chooses to make changes to their belief structure, there is nothing wrong with that. I doubt there are many people who have the same beliefs at 40 as they did when they were 10.

Personally, I've never known anyone who based their beliefs on "political correctness." atheist or otherwise.

"Christian religions organized before 1800 A.D." is a very broad term. For example the Catholic, Eastern Orthdox, Egyptian Coptic and Protestant churches all split before 1800 A.D.. Also Christianity is one religion. These may be different branches of the church that disagree over fine points of the Christian religion, but they are not "religions."
Overall, it seems to be a pretty good poll.
Peter

I would have to say that I'm not really religious. However I do follow some concepts from buddhism, such as the concepts of Karma and Reincarnation. As such I selected Buddhism from the poll.

dan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (snipe128 @ Mar. 25 2004,10:29)]I'm Catholic and have worked in a first responce field for almost 20 yrs off and on.. I've noticed that anyone who claims to be atheist is a follower and just wants to sound PC the "cool thing".  But when the chips are really looking bad...It's amazing how they look for God to help them.  Is it really that hard to be honest if only to yourself?
I am an atheist not to look cool. I just don't think there are any Gods. You could say I was catholic but only because I had my communion and confirmation but that of course was down to my parents taking me there.

Even at school I was very good at Religious education but as I got older, I soon made up my mind that there was no such thing.

That's just me. I do respect other people's beliefs
smile.gif

awwwwwww. NOLU you lost your faith but you found a cool avatar!!!!!! i must steal it from you!!! where did you get it!! neways I respect all religions too. Well, there's just one religion I don't understand and that's Jehovah Witnesses. Oh and you should have put Other on the poll. From doing my research Mormon's aren't Christians at all and I don't think Jehovah Witnesses's are either, but they did come out of Christianity though.

Well, I don't know where you did your research but I think Odysseus can address the Mormon side of things.  As far as  the 'other' issue - only 10 choices are allowed in these polls.   What else do you think would fall under 'other' that isn't already covered here?  
rock.gif

I have studied with Jehovah Witnesses & , yes, they do believe in Jesus Christ being a divine saviour.  
smile.gif

Back