What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richmond on Fire!

• Thread starter Cynic81
  • Start date

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
I get out of my Math Lab about an hour ago to see a HUGE cloud of smoke coming from W. Broad st. I go down there to find that the student housing they were building had burst into flames! Now it's jumped across W. Broad and a bunch of buildings across the street are on fire. It's still spreading at the moment, though it's moving away from me and the current dorms. It's still scary though, since it seems to be getting bigger and it's about 2 blocks down from me. The VCU Arts building got damaged, but I'm hearing conflicting reports about whether or not it's actually on fire.

Well, this is certainly an exciting day....

Good grief! Well, thankfully you're safe....Any ideas what caused it, or is it still WAY too early?

This is too scary. Is this near Suzanne?  Does anyone know if she's safe?  
sad.gif

Ee Gad! You're right Lavender! I think Suzanne is on the North side of the river (if I remember her other post right)...where are you, Cynic? North or south side?

I just found this news story

(Richmond-AP) -- A fire in Richmond is spreading over at least two blocks to other buildings. The fire has spread to several buildings in the area, with smoke and burning debris spread out over several blocks in the area of the VCU academic campus. The fires and smoke have blocked traffic in the area, as winds blow the debris northward toward Interstate 95 in the city.
The fire started in a four-story apartment building under construction near a parking garage and university bookstore and the Siegel Center, V-C-U's main sports arena. Richmond Fire Lieutenant Keith Vida says too early to know the cause of the fire, though explosion sounds were reported.

I've been out walking all day, and man am I tired!

Suzanne is out in the burbs, she should be more than okay. And the fire never came anywhere near the freshmen dorms, so I'm fine, but they had us close all of our windows for fear of sparks starting a new fire. The wind have been enough today to spread embers over a large area, even sparking a fire in a distant plant near I-95.There were no injuries, just a firefighter and a VCU security guard with smoke inhalation. They have it all under control now, but the local channels have been going nuts!

Yep...the fire was north of the rivah, Schoaty.  
smile.gif
  And actually, as the crow flies, its not that far from my house but far enough not to have to worry about cinders.  I saw the smoke from the fire shortly after it broke out as I ran an errand on my lunch hr.  I was half way to my house and the smoke looked like it was coming from my neighborhood...a wide mass of grey-beige smoke so big it looked like a cloud.  Apparently the wind was blowing the smoke from the east northward.  I knew something BIG was on fire and preyed it really wasn't in my neighborhood.

The photos so far have been horrific...I heard 12-13 buildings burned to varrying degrees.  That area is near the heart of downtown.  Its created quite a mess...roads blocked, power out, charred mess everywhere.  And a big 10K Charity Walk/Run Marathon is supposed to start tomorrow and it ends right in that area.  I've heard the marathon will still take place.

Cynic81 who is at VCU (VA Commonwealth University) is also North of the Rivah.  But living at VCU, he's much closer to the fire.  Glad you're alright, Mike!  
biggrin.gif
 That was a little too close for comfort!

Its a terrible tragedy...but so far no reports of injuries which is amazing for a fire that size and breadth.

Thanks for the concern everyone.  But I am still here...like it or not!  HA!  
tounge.gif

Send a few kind thoughts winging to those who are displaced by the fire if you would.

Whew!  I, for one, am truly glad you & yours are safe.  
smile.gif
 Thanks for letting us know.
So sad about the losses, that's a real tragedy.  Even worse would be if some of those historical places were involved.  
sad.gif

Umm...I do know how to spell "pray".
rock.gif

I've been hanging around CPs too long...now every time, it comes out "prey".
wow.gif

I don't think anything terribly historical was damaged, but at least 19 buildings and several vehicles, including a fire truck, were burned severely. The VCU Fine Arts Building, home to the best sculpture program in the country, suffered light damage to the roof. I saw it myself: the edges of the roof near the fire were singed and all the windows were severely burned. W. Broad, a major thoroughfare in this city, is still shut down for a significant chunk. The Ukrops 10k is still on (I can see them setting up in Monroe Park) but I think they changed the route slightly. It was only supposed to go within a block of the fires anyway. And the city has declared the first state of emergency since Hurricane Isabel hit.

Well, this has certainly been an exciting year in Richmond; since September we've experience, in order, a hurricane, an earthquake, a blizzard, and now an inferno. I wonder if it's a sign of something...
tounge.gif

I too want to thank everyoen for their concerns, but I'm fine and so is my living space, which is more than can be said for the people whose homes were affected by this. I ask you to divert your prayers from me to them, and that they can rebuild and recover from their losses quickly.

Unfortunately for whoever owns the building (Not VCU), I think there's a law in Virginia that says if a building is constructed mostly of wood (which the first building was, cheap idiots) then it can't be insured. All I know is that, even if this was an accident, either the city or VCU is going to find someone to crucify for this, guaranteed.

Whew! Miss a day and miss a lot. Glad to see the fires out

I found this in a newspaper article and I thought you might get a kick out of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Even with the calamity, which McCollum called the worst Richmond fire in 30 years, one store owner found humor.
    A sign at the building read: "Tonight's event has been canceled due to circumstances beyond our control."

Back