What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Charcoal for soil mix

Hello,
I have tried every method that is recomended to stop algae growth in my seeds pots but none of them worked,
I use scultz peat moss and well washed lawn sand 1:1
I put the soil mix in the microwave for about 5-10 minutes,
I reduced humidity
and still algae grew before seeds

Im now trying an experiment to find out if algae growth is slowed if a layer of sand is added on top the soil mix

Ive read that using some charcoal can slow down algae growth, im thinking of doing an experiment
anyone tried this before?
any Charcoal can be used right? The ones for barbecue?
Do I add a layer of charcoal to the top of the soil mix like i did with the sand or mix it in with the soil mix

thanks alot, those ALGAE has killed enough seeds already!

You'll have to hunt for charcoal carefully.  Most bagged charcoal for grilling has lighter fluid already added to the briquets.  You sure don't want to use that!  It will say easy-light or something like that.  We never use that stuff even for grilling because it stinks so.  We buy ordinary charcoal briquets from Wal*Mart.  
tounge.gif
 I just wanted to put in that warning - I don't know if it will help the algae problem for you, though.

Hi Wezx

There is HORTICULTURAL charcoal. Most garden centers should sell it. It comes in small bags. I've seen larger chunks and a finer grade.

Check Lowes, Home Depot or your local greenhouse.
smile.gif

And I've found algae almost impossible to get rid of no matter what you do. I have it in some pots and but not others.
rock.gif

I waived the white flag long time ago in this battle. But then again, I've never had so much that they've affected growth or seeds/seedlings. I now just scrape off when it appears.
smile.gif

chang: scrape it off? wont the seeds go with it too? I would like to trry that!

DO NOT USE briquettes. Horticultural charcoal is made from carefully charred wood of certain species. I have a recipe somewhere on how to make your own hort charcoal. It's a long process. Besides the briquettes will make your soil or whatever black and yucky.

Joe

Back