What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lithops

Is $5 (+shipping) a lithop a good price and how difficult are the to grow. Thanks for any help and/or advice.

Rose

Lithops are very easy. I have of pot of them in my living room. They like bright indirect light for most of the day. Several of them are splitting into new leaves and a few aren't. They normally say to never water when they are splitting, but since the others aren't I give them about one and a half tablespoons of water sprinkled around the pot every two weeks or so. During the spring and summer growing season and they like water more often.

Oh, and the price is pretty good. How many are you getting? I got four for about $10 at the local garden center.

depends on the species copper ;) go to the cactus and succulent section of the forums and go waay back, there are links to 1 dollar lithops.
im sure pft wont mind me saying that, since pft doesn't carry lithops
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Mar. 30 2004,7:12)]Is $5 (+shipping) a lithop a good price and how difficult are the to grow.  Thanks for any help and/or advice.

Rose
I'd say $5 is a little on the high side.  When the local nurseries get them, they're usually around half of that.  Have you checked the Oldmancactus listing?  They've got a huge selection.

As far as ease of growing, my experience has been the opposite of mijako10's.  For me, they grow for a while and then turn squishy...  I find some of the other Mesemb genera much easier to raise.  

Good luck with them
smile.gif

Merlin

Merlin, thanks for the link.

Spec, it must be to far back for me to find.

Thanks to all of you. I thought that $5 might be a little high.

Back