What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Guitarists out there?

I know Copper and Adnedarn play, and Cephalotus88 was going to......Bugweed playes the blues, anyone else? What instruments do you play on, and what do you play? Acoustic? Electric?

oops! posted this in the wrong forum, and I can't move it! I feel so helpless, not having the superhuman powers of a MoD any more. Heeeeeeelp!

smile.gif
Moved.

Don't play myself, sorry.

1st off, I think i'd be more comfortable with the term "trying to play guitar" (acoustic).
Also, I thought it was in the right forum. Drosera and Guitar. Your two most favorite things! ;-)
Andrew

Andrew,

Nope. You played for me tonight. Anyone who can play 3 chords in time with all changes and notes properly made and clear is a guitarist in my book, and since I teach I know whereof I speak. Well done!

Spec,
Hope you take it up again someday!

...it was 4 chords. *stands proudly*
Andrew

Hey Tamlin -

It's been quite a while....but I play(ed..) acoustic 12-string guitar, fingerpicking style & a little Bluegrass. I also play 5 string banjo. If I spent as much time with the instruments as I do with CPs I'd be a virtuoso by now!!

WildBill

Funk, drum n bass, and Thrash metal. I'm a bass player. 1/2 slap -1/2 pick. Just for fun these days. I'm not a rockstar anymore, I have a family now.

Joe

Tamlin, you ratted me out!! Ok, I play fingerstyle Delta Blues and blues slide guitar. I play fingerpickin' folk and bluegrass too. But the old style Delta Blues is my first music love. Can't get enough of old style blues tunes. But then, I'm old anyway!! Doc Watson is still a favorite of mine as well. What a player Doc is!!!! Who else plays out there??

Yeah!!!!

I too gave up the limelight, got tired of all those women throwing their room keys on stage, the screaming crowds, ruthless agents out to milk me for my millions.

Now I sit and play for myself and my friends, so please don't push any contracts on me. It won't work.

I sure would love to sit and pick with y'all though. I play a little of everything, as long as it is at least 2 decades old. My favorite music is acoustic bluegrass, and Doc Watson has it all in my opinion, or most of it at least. I got to hear him play "Knights in White Satin" and he tore it up Bug!

I am also into stuff that was hitting the charts back in the 16th Century, Celtic, Folk, and hey hey my my rock and roll will never die! I love playing streetcorners for quarters, and have been told I am too loud. When I want, I can make the windows rattle down the street, but its all legal and they cant arrest me. I never refuse an invitation to play.

I play at least an hour a day, and am now being instructed in classical techniques by a recently discovered friend who is just outa sight. His delta blues are awesome, and we are getting into Robert Johnson. Blues he gots. My fingers hurt!

I also write, and have many of my own songs which usually generate fevered responses like "Huh?" from my audience. But I love it durn near as much as CP. I have grooves in my fingers and soul that never go away. I keep afloat in life's whirlpool by wrapping my fingers firmly around the neck of my Martin HD28. SO, when I'm dead please bury me, 'neath the trees on Chestnut Street: put some headphones on my head, and play the Grateful Dead.

-Colorblind Mango Willie

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ April 08 2004,4:34)]Anyone who can play 3 chords in time with all changes and notes properly made and clear is a guitarist in my book, and since I teach I know whereof I speak.
I play, I play!!
biggrin.gif

i've been playing for 15 years or so.  rock, country.  back in college i had an electric with a wah-wah pedal, chorus pedal, distortion pedal.  i thought i was king of the world.  playing along to alice in chains, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, bands like that.  

still have the electric these days, but it's gathering dust and i sold all of the pedals (to buy sarracenias coincidentally!)  these days i just play acoustic guitar along to cd's.  i've gotten to the point where i can pretty much play any song once i've heard it a few times.  still, i don't consider myself that great.  i have a hard time doing solos, or other single-note riffs and runs.  my one claim to fame is that i wrote, or tried to write, some songs during my college days.  one of them "The Night Mare" is played by a friend of mine who plays keyboards at a couple of tiny hole-in-the-wall bars in the hills of SW wisconsin.  he claims many people ask him what song that was, that they liked it, etc...  now that i'm moving back there soon, maybe I can jam with him.  although, i honestly can't remember exactly how the song goes.  i know it's in the key of E, but that's it. i guess he'll have to teach me.

I think God's Garden also plays guitar.

I play guitar, have been playing for 7+ years, electric is my main one. Also play bass, drums, harmonica, and the spoons. All self taught.
smile.gif

I attempt to play electric. Mainly rock and metal.

Wow, more guitarmen here that I imagined! To those who don't play now but used to, I say dust off those strings: music is good for the soul and being touched by the Muse is a great gift!

I would like to see the words at least to "The Night Mare", Sarracenia, if you ever care to share them. I can realate to the pleasure of hearing your material played by other artists, my songs were played by a widely touring duo act that played everywhere from California to Maine: Dexter Grove. They played "Priest of the Faded Fair" "Bent Brain Boogie" "He's Cryin'" and "Hydroponic Goo".

I have never been able to stop playing since the day I pulled my first guitar out of a pile of junk on the street, dumped the water out of it and took it home.

i have been playing for over a decade now, although not as much any more.  i still pick it up once or twice a week, but that a far way ayaw from the 8 hours a day i played when i was a kid!  i play electric and acoustic guitars, and i hand drum on a djembe and doumbek.

if i have to classifiy myself, i'll just say hard rock/ heavy metal.  it's really more about the mood and vibe than anything else.  sometimes i'm very reserved and mellow, othertimes i'm beating the crap outta the guitar!

i have attended a recording school, so i can go into a studio, mic you up, throw up the faders, record, mix and master you.  i have worked you both digital (alesis ADAT) and analog (2" tape, 24 tracks).  after recording school, i worked in a music store, selling guitar and amps and whatnot.

guitars:
    ovation celebrity acoustic/electric (added grover tuning keys)
    charvel fusion standard (added dimarzio pickups)
    jackson kelly standard (added dimarzio and paul reed smith pickups)
    fender squire strat (refretted, scalloped, charvel humbucker in the bridge)-the beater...

give it some time, but i have decided to get back into it lot more in the future.  hopefully, if all goes as planned, i'll be playing a paul reed smith electric, a taylor acoustic, and mesa/boogie amps in the next 3 years.  that's the plan anyways...

on a side note, if anyone is going to go shopping for a new guitar or amp, please, im me!  working in the business has tought me a lot.  

peace,
tech...

Played e-guitar for some months some years ago...
smile.gif

Back