What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easter

• Thread starter jack
  • Start date
Why does easter and good friday fall at different times? Sometimes March, somtimes different weekends in April. why?
Thanks Jack

To ensure the "sinners " are keeping track.

lol @ Khai...
smile.gif

I believe it Easter falls on the first Sunday following the first ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or after the day of the vernal equinox.... if that makes any sense. The exact date of Jesus' death is unknown, though it happened during the night before the Passover. The calculation methods for Easter were produced by the Council at Nicea in order to have a set date on which it would be celebrated by everyone around the world, and be able to calculate it years in advance. Though this system has been revised slightly (for leap years, etc.), it is still used today.

hope that helps
smile.gif

-noah

it always follows the sunday after passover, and thats the jewish passover
smile.gif

The celebration of "Easter" predates Christianity, even the name bears testimony to an earlier worship celebrating fertility (think Easter Eggs). "Ostra" and the Teutonic "Ostern" or "Eastre," were both Goddesses of the Old Religion signifying spring and fertility whose festival was celebrated on the day of the vernal equinox. The early Church realizing that those who embraced the former "pagan" festival realized also that the populace would not abandon these festivals, and essentially co-opted the date and incorporated it into their own religion's celebration. It is celebrated on the First Sunday following the full moon after the Vernal Equinox.

As a dedicated pagan, I continue to offer my thanks to the gracious Goddess who makes fertile both body and mind on the traditional eve of the Vernal Equinox.

Christians should be aware that many of the wonderful teachings of Jesus had their origin in a older tradition in which Jesus was educated in by the Essenes.

Blessed Be, and have a very happy Easter. May all your seeds grow in health and beauty, whether they be plants, dreams, or actions.

Happy Easter I got a Chocolate Easter Bunny.

I got a rock. No, wait, that was Charlie Brown.

thanks all, now it makes since. Jack

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The celebration of "Easter" predates Christianity, even the name bears testimony to an earlier worship celebrating fertility (think Easter Eggs).  "Ostra" and the Teutonic "Ostern" or "Eastre," were both Goddesses of the Old Religion signifying spring and fertility whose festival was celebrated on the day of the vernal equinox.  The early Church realizing that those who embraced the former "pagan" festival realized also that the populace would not abandon these festivals, and essentially co-opted the date and incorporated it into their own religion's celebration.  It is celebrated on the First Sunday following the full moon after the Vernal Equinox.

As a dedicated pagan, I continue to offer my thanks to the gracious Goddess who makes fertile both body and mind on the traditional eve of the Vernal Equinox.

Christians should be aware that many of the wonderful teachings of Jesus had their origin in a older tradition in which Jesus was educated in by the Essenes.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here Tamlin.  Even though there may have been a festival on the same day of the year, doesn't mean that the early church adopted the festival as part of their worship services.  

Easter is based on Christ's death and resurrection, that much is obvious.  The timing is also clearly presented in the Bible.  Jesus was eating either the Jewish Passover or the meal before the Passover right before he was taken to be tried and crucified.  The Jewish Passover is based on a lunar calendar, which accounts for the date changing year to year.  Whether this happens to fall on the same date as the "Essenes" makes no difference whatsoever.

SF

Hmm... I seem to have misunderstood you Tamlin, so I apologize. I thought you were saying that Easter had no Christian roots/concepts/ideas/beliefs behind it.

I am not disagreeing that there WAS a festival called Easter. I have done some research and it does appear that the early Christian church celebrated the festival in order to avoid persecution. Instead of compromising their beliefs, they CHANGED THE FOCUS of Easter from spring/fertility to the resurrection. This change of focus gradually took universal effect. I don't know many people who celebrate fertility every spring!
biggrin.gif

I guess what I'm now trying to say is, the early church celebrated Easter, yes. But, their Easter had a DIFFERENT focus, on Christ. So basically, it was a different festival with the same name.

Am I a little clearer here?

SF

Well, I will agree that the Christians certainly changed the focus, but not that it is universally accepted. It is accepted by Christians.

It is, in fact, the rebirth of the fertile earth, and the return of the light that have been universally accepted by many cultures throughout mankinds history.

You (and Christians in general) accept and believe that this event transpired on this date, as is also the case with Christ's supposed birthday in December. I believe that the Christians merely adopted these dates to suit their own ends: a reasonable conclusion based on the fact that there are no historical records to support these specific dates, and the close proximity of a shared concepts held long and widely before Christianity.

Thanks for the info Tamlin.
Very interesting and illuminating/ revealing.

Dates and times of birth and death, as well as origins - pagan or Christian - aren't the real issue. Purpose is. Jesus defeated Satan and spiritual death. Without it, we are all hopeless. With it, we all have hope - if and only if we put our faith in Jesus.

I am sure all Christians will agree with you. I wish you well with your belief system, as long as you are willing to let me and mine be: the days of "Thou shalt not suffer a Witch to live" are hopefully over!

Back