What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aclimating to a dry enviroment

• Thread starter jon
  • Start date
What's the best way to ween cp's that have been in a extremely moist enviroment for 90% of their life to a very dry enviroment? What's the best way/various ways?

Slowly! You go from covering all the time (assuming this is where you are at) to covering at night only to not covering at all. All this while making sure that the plants are sitting in another container that has standing water. Do this over the course of a couple weeks. Gauge it by the their response. You may have to do it more slowly or they may not mind much.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 19 2004,6:00)]Slowly! You go from covering all the time (assuming this is where you are at) to covering at night only to not covering at all. All this while making sure that the plants are sitting in another container that has standing water.
Yes, it's covered mainly constantly, it's a seed tray with baby hatchlings. The seed tray is about 72 sections so it's going to take a large amount if distilled water to have it in standing water. Is the water 100% neccesary?

I would say so. The water perculates up and nourishes the roots, keeping the plant moist. It just needs .5 - 1" of water. Hatchlings, I have been advised, should be covered more than mature plants, until they have established themselves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 19 2004,9:32)]Hatchlings, I have been advised, should be covered more than mature plants, until they have established themselves.
oh...they're established all right...the VFT's are starting to produce traps and the drosera's have one to two leaves that are actually sticky, I have to use my 10x loop to look at them, but there they are, producing stickies. It's soo small, I think it's about 1/2 the size of a flea (the leaf).

Back