What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about...

I have a few questions because I am looking into building or buying a greehouse.

1. How much does a 8x10 size range of greenhouse cost (average)
2. What are some good locations to put one ( which direction it should be facing)
3. What kind of shelfing (wood or metal)
4. What device is best for raising and keeping the humidity around 50%-75% (for a 8x10 greenhouse)
5. What kind of ventalation is best (the one on the ceiling or a fan that goes outside the door)
6. Is it cheaper to buy a greenhouse or build one from materials
7. What kind of foundation works good and is cheap
8. Should I use a fan for air circulation
9. What kind of substrate wont rot in these conditions
10. How should I keep the temperature down in the summer and up in the winter

Thanks in advance for all the help

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jmenprkr @ April 23 2004,7:17)]I have a few questions because I am looking into building or buying a greehouse.

1.  How much does a 8x10 size range of greenhouse cost (average)
2.  What are some good locations to put one ( which direction it should be facing)
3.  What kind of shelfing (wood or metal)
4.  What device is best for raising and keeping the humidity around 50%-75% (for a 8x10 greenhouse)
5.  What kind of ventalation is best (the one on the ceiling or a fan that goes outside the door)
6.  Is it cheaper to buy a greenhouse or build one from materials
7.  What kind of foundation works good and is cheap
8.  Should I use a fan for air circulation
9.  What kind of substrate wont rot in these conditions
10. How should I keep the temperature down in the summer and up in the winter

Thanks in advance for all the help
Hey Jamie,

1. You can get one for around $1100.00

2. Face it North-South So the sides get as much sun as possible

3. Metal shelving. this is what I use, and it works great:

lsaf1493.jpg

It's prett cheap, too. They come in lots of different sizes.

4. A swamp cooler, or a large humidifyer.

5. Both.

6. Depends... If you're building, say, a 6 x6 foot greenhouse, its cheaper in the long run to just buy a rpe-made one. But when it gets to the bigger sizes, its cheaper to just buy. Again, If you want a really big size, its cheaper to buy one online and have people install them for you (24- 32 feet, etc..)

7. Concrete
tounge.gif

8. yes, not big ones, just a little fan in every corner or something.

9. All substrate is going to rot, theres no getting around it. I re-pot EVERYTHING (every single one of my plants) every 2 years.

10. Phew, last question
biggrin.gif
. Swamp cooler in Summer, Natural gas heater in winter
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]9. All substrate is going to rot, theres no getting around it. I re-pot EVERYTHING (every single one of my plants) every 2 years.

Hey Spec, why is that?
I thought peat is already fully decomposed. I also repot plants but I don't throw out the soil afterward...
Peter

Back