What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help-fast

How do i incubate bird eggs, finch can you help??

Spec, I have incubated many. What type of birds?

I was going to suggest that you sit on them - gently.
tounge.gif

Use forced air(a small cpu fan hooked up to a GBA battery charger works admirably) as this will bring normal 50% hatching rate to close to 100% in chickens at least!

Hey Spec, when the rush is over and the eggs are safe, feel free to explain the situation to the rest of us!
biggrin.gif

SF

Ok, The eggs are safe. To make a long story a lil shorter:

My dad works at the radar tower. Someone found a bird of prey nest in the vent, and had to take it out. when the guy was getting ready to dump it my dad took it and put it in his truck, which was around 95 degrees. he called me up and told me I had an hour to build an incubator for some red tailed hawk eggs. Anyways, i got it done, and when he got home i identified the eggs as kestrels- I think. They are creamish with brown splattered all over them, looks exactly like the picture of a kestrel egg in my falconry book
smile.gif
The reason we didnt take it to a shelter was, the closest shelter is over an hour away, and they dont have room for these kinds of things, nor do they have the equipment. I have no idea where the closest fish and game place is, nor do i have any kind of contacts to them. I've gone on their website, but it didnt help...

Anyways, here is a link to instructions on the incubator i made:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/eggs/res20-incubator.html

While my hosue went down to 60ºF last night, the incubator stayed at 95º-103ºF
biggrin.gif

i highly suggest you get in touch with your fish and game department. keeping birds of prey without a licence is highly illegal. although i have never heard of anyone getting in trouble in a situation like this as long as you get ahold of them ASAP! ive seen lots of injured hawks and owls go through our local high school biology teacher. F&G usually came in a couple of days to pick up the animals. good luck.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ April 24 2004,10:12)]i highly suggest you get in touch with your fish and game department. keeping birds of prey without a licence is highly illegal. although i have never heard of anyone getting in trouble in a situation like this as long as you get ahold of them ASAP! ive seen lots of injured hawks and owls go through our local high school biology teacher. F&G usually came in a couple of days to pick up the animals. good luck.

Rattler
Yes, I know, that is why i am desperately trying to get in toutch. One thing i did find though, was that i have to notify them within 5 days... Thats how much time i have to call them. I have been studying for a falconry liscence for about a year... I could shoot and try to take the test, and get over 70%. If I get a low score, i have to wait another month... Also, I cant find a sponsor...
sad.gif

Ok... I went through every single egg picture on this site:
http://www.amonline.net.au/birds/gallery/eggs.htm
and didnt find any eggs that looked like it. here is a kestrel egg:

043.jpg

The egg I have is a little longer, not so round like aping pong ball...

Its almost like this one:

161.jpg

Only, the brown is a bit more smeared than blotchy, and the background part is a little creamyer
rock.gif

just wanted to make sure you knew. i dont have any idea about what you should do otherwise. good luck.

Rattler

Why wpuld you want to propagate a nuisince like a bird of prey? They are already overpopulated in some areas and they kill your birds! Imo its better to destroy the eggs before you get more of these pests!
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 25 2004,9:23)]Why wpuld you want to propagate a nuisince like a bird of prey? They are already overpopulated in some areas and they kill your birds! Imo its better to destroy the eggs before you get more of these pests!
mad.gif
mad.gif
these arent pests, they are quite uncommon here
mad.gif
mad.gif
I dont kill little cute birds in eggs! besides, hawks eat more mice and rabbits than anything else! they dont decimate the population of birds!

Oh, and I have identified the eggs, I think
smile.gif

These lil guys are either:

Lesser Nighthawks
-or-
Brewers blackbird
biggrin.gif

these guys dont eat other birds, the nighthawk just eats bugs and stuff, only it looks like a hawk or falcon
biggrin.gif

EDIT: and kestrels can barely eat baby feild mice, they're not going to hurt harmless sparrows
smile.gif

Spec, ive watched the kestrels around here take sparrows. infact an old name for kestrels is sparrow hawk. they are quite common up here. i see almost as many of those as red-tail hawks. i also see harriers, rough legged hawks, golden and bald eagles on a fairly regular basis. i would guess based on what you said that the eggs are the blackbird. nighthawks NORMALLY nest on the ground. there are always exceptions though.

Rattler

Oh well I was saying birds of prey in general (eagles most hawks owls (I realy hate barred owls Grrrr.........:angry: ) And some like kites actually atack humans `cause they think you are going to hurt there eggs! Kites back in OK. were more comon then pigeons in St.Luis! I`m just saying I`d rather see a raptor die then a Chicken.

Pond boy, (not mad, but making a statement)

Your information is incorrect.  Birds of prey are rarely over-populated and are endangered in many areas, thus their protection.  As far as being a nuisance, they keep a check and balance.  Wild, non predator birds (and rodents) can be a problem and have been where man has interfered with the natural order, such as destroying the pedators (check deer valley experiment).  This bird nest was not destroyed in a natural selection.  It was destroyed by man (even though it needed to be done).

Good Luck Spec.  Let me know if there is anything I can do.  If you do not get through to your G&P soon, email them.  Any animal, predator or not, deserve an attepmt to save it (unless natural selection is occurring).

If I believed someone was going to harm my child I would also chase them off. Heaven help them if they were going after my child. I would show and use my talons as well.

For the record, I am also becoming a falconer, but I also love and raise non-predator birds. Hey, I hunt, but I love and pay to protect wildlife.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ April 26 2004,12:34)]Pond boy,  (not mad, but making a statement)

Your information is incorrect.  Birds of prey are rarely over-populated and are endangered in many areas, thus their protection.  As far as being a nuisance, they keep a check and balance.  Wild, non predator birds (and rodents) can be a problem and have been where man has interfered with the natural order, such as destroying the pedators (check deer valley experiment).  This bird nest was not destroyed in a natural selection.  It was destroyed by man (even though it needed to be done).

Good Luck Spec.  Let me know if there is anything I can do.  If you do not get through to your G&P soon, email them.  Any animal, predator or not, deserve an attepmt to save it (unless natural selection is occurring).

If I believed someone was going to harm my child I would also chase them off.  Heaven help them if they were going after my child.  I would show and use my talons as well.

For the record, I am also becoming a falconer, but I also love and raise non-predator birds.  Hey, I hunt, but I love and pay to protect wildlife.
department of G&P?

Back