What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Alrighty!!  Hi everybody!  
biggrin.gif

Sorry for the long delay everyone.  Patrick/Trashcan has been working with some auction software for awhile now and unfortunately it all seemed to be a bit buggie, so we are going ahead and holding the auction here on TerraForums.  The auction will be open to anyone; you do not have to be a member of TF to bid.  So its open to Listserv members, CPUK, GardenWeb and any other person from the general public.  The only requirement to list (donate) an item or bid on an item is a desire to help out the North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC).  
smile.gif
  Spread the word!

This is an unofficial, GENERAL outline of the auction rules.  These may be revised prior to the auction but the official rules will be posted at the start of the auction.  This is just to give you a heads-up and an idea of how things will work so you can be thinking of what you want to list.

The auction will be held in a special forum created just for that purpose.  The auction will be open with a LISTING PERIOD of one week for people to post their offerings (Mon., May 10th-17th listing period).  This will give everyone, including those who don’t get onto the computer too often, a reasonable chance to get their contribution posted.  There is to be NO BIDDING at that time!  Any bids made will be deleted.  This time period is solely for accumulating the auction items and for viewing.  Feel free to check in often and view the items to see what’s being offered.  Hopefully it will grow during the week.  It will be your responsibility to actually READ all the official rules once they are posted!  Please make SURE you read them all PRIOR to committing a bid!

The ACTUAL AUCTION will start Monday, May 17th and run through May 24th.  That is a one week period to get in your bids.  Bid increments will be set (we can’t have people upping bids by a penny).  There will also probably be a low reserve set just so each items sells for a reasonable amount (reserves are a minimum bid; if the reserve isn’t met or surpassed, the item doesn’t sell).  We want everyone to have a chance to get a “bargain” but the purpose of this auction is to raise money for the newly formed NASC so we can get all the legal mumbo jumbo taken care of and get our non-profit status.  So we have to get SOMETHING for each item.

Please understand that if you are HIGH BIDDER at auction close, you are fully responsible for paying for what you won.  Please don’t be a deadbeat bidder--this is a CHARITY event.  If you can’t pay right away, then don’t bid.  There will be a reasonable time period set for getting your payment sent in.  If payment isn’t received, the item may be relisted and sold to someone else.  Payment will go direct to Paul/Casper who right now is acting treasurer (until we actually have money to worry about).  ALL proceeds will go to benefit NASC.

Please don’t be offended or angry if someone (a forum member or friend) bids against you and outbids you.  Again, this is for charity and fun and anything goes in an auction.  High bidder wins.  If you really want a particular item, bid often and HIGH!  
biggrin.gif

Each item listed will be an individual post.  All bids for that item will take place in that thread.  I’d like to ask that you not make “chit chat” posts .  We don’t want anyone to have to read through pages of talk to find the bids.  Its ok to make a comment or two in your listing post or bid post but keep it short!

Its best if you can post a photo of what you are offering so people can see what they would be getting.  If you can’t host your own photo, try to find someone who can.  If you absolutely can’t post a photo, please give a VERY detailed description of the item (size, color, species, age, condition, etc.).  We don’t want anyone disappointed after they receive their item.

I think the person donating the item will be responsible for the shipping (as part of their donation) but I’ve got to discuss that with others.  Will get back to you on that one.

You are free to offer ANYTHING you think will bring money.  It doesn’t have to be a plant.  Be creative.  While plants/seeds may be the most popular, there are many other things that might pique someone’s interest (tools, lights, T-shirts, mugs, books, soil mixes, artwork, etc.)   Just make sure that all offerings are LEGAL and meet any kind of requirements for interstate or out-of-country shipping/transference.  You do have a right to state “U.S. bidders only.”

OK...so be planning...be thinking.  If you have any questions, please post them here.  We need to make sure all bases are covered PRIOR to the actual auction.

Thanks for your patience.  NASC is in its infancy so we have a long ways to go.  And thank you for your support of NASC and SPECIAL thanks to PHIL CRANE for all his help and support!

(Sorry but I will be posting this long monster in several forums.)

Again, spread the word to all plant lovers/conservationists/earth people you know!  We need lots of donations!

PAKtioneer  
smile.gif

It sounds like you have put a lot of work and thought into this. Thanks so much for your effort.

Why thank you Mr. Dawnstar. You are too kind.
smile.gif

BUMP!

hey did you join the yahoo group one? You should send a letter out to everyone in there too.

Yay were under way! (iv tried to spread the word, but no one outside of terraforums is really interested)

Anyone who truly cares about conservation and preservation of nature's wonderful plant life SHOULD be interested. Its one thing to talk about it...its another to actually put yourself out a little and DO something. It really shouldn't take a tremendous amount of time or energy to list something for the auction. Yes you will have to then pack and ship it. But that's not asking a lot to hopefully ensure that years down the road, future generations have pitcher plants to look at like we do.
smile.gif

Talk it up! Light fires under some butts!
laugh.gif

I would like to make some comments from Moderator standpoint.

PAK talked about no chit chat. I agree and if I see any nonsense posts they will be deleted. Serious questions about the item but keep things short and sweet would be ok. Other than that.. Bid posts ONLY.

If you are rebidding on an item it would be a great help to delete your old bids so that only your current high offer is in the thread.

Tony

Another suggestion, editing of bidding posts should result in an instant disqualification. No one should be allowed to edit their bids, obvoiusly that makes it impossible to keep track of who bid how much first.

(Speaking of editing posts)
EDIT: I'll also host pictures for the auction at this link:
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/nasc

Just click on the drop-down labelled "Admin Options" and click "Add Photo". Please note the pictures will be deleted after the auction, and pictures being used for anything besides the auction may be delelted instantly.

Thank you,
Pat

I would like to personally thank PAK for all the hard work she has done for this auction. Even while battling life’s curve balls, she still manages to do an extraordinary job. I am sure the auction will go very well and once again, I thank you PAK. You are truly an inspiration for us all.

Awwwwww...thanks Casper. I certainly don't feel very inspirational.
sad.gif
I really haven't done all that much. I'm trying to keep busy but...there's not much spring in my tail.
sad.gif

The auction should keep me hopping though...which is good...

I never thought about people editing their posts. But wouldn't it 1) show that the post had been edited? And wouldn't the most RECENT bid be the last one showing?

But good points there. Keep it coming. We must have all bases covered here.

Thanks all!
PAKtioneer

BUMP

BUMP BUMP.

This kinda goes into what Tony said about no chit-chat, but one thing I can think of that may go on is a post like this:
" Hey, please please PLEASE don't outbid me, I REALLY want this plant!"

I dont really think that is appropriate for an auction, others may want the plant just as baddly.
P.S. A huge thanks to all the crew and PAK for working on this!

Cole

my thoughts:

-no member should edit their post, or they will be disqualified immediately. the board provides everyone with a "delete" button, and bidders should use that, and then make a new post if need be.

-moderators will remove any "chit chat", and state that they did remove the "chit chat" for everyone else to see. no mods will be able to edit their own post, and if do, they too will be disqualified from the auction.

-if some one is disqualified, a mod will edit their post to say they have been disqualified and are no longer allowed to bid on that item.

there's my pennies...

thoughts?

tech...

Definitely no one can edit their listings or bids. If an error is made, a mod can be contacted to correct it. I don't know about not allowing a mod to edit their own posts. I don't think any mod would "cheat". Not sure if that would even come up, but I edit my own posts for typos and such so often I'd probably do it without thinking about it.

Thanks to all of you who have put some thought into this and taken the time to post. Its been helpful. Its hard for one person to cover all the angles.

It is almost a guarantee this won't run perfectly...its NOT eBay. But hopefully there won't be too many glitches IF people READ and FOLLOW the rules.

I hope everyone is planning to list SOMETHING.

Back