What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Here is a link to Norton's website. BE CAREFUL, it is especially apparent in chat rooms, and e-mails. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.b.worm.html

Yea, I just got the update yesterday... The sasser worm is a really really nasty one!!
wow.gif

Never want to worry about spyware, worms, viruses, or intrusions ever again? Welcome to to the wonderful world of Linux. www.linux.com for starters
smile.gif
Not to mention that it's more stable, free, etc, etc... Never pay for norton, or waste your time recovering virus damage again.
blues.gif

I think thast what i got on my personal computer at home . Adnedarn was helping me fix it but some virus did a system recovery and i lsot all my data , now i have to spend money to gte it fixed at some computer shop so folk , sorry I won't be online for quite a while .
sad.gif

Fre spyware/virus protectors aren't comparative to norton... free programs often have spyware in it

I'm already dealing with somethin called W32.Pinfi on my laptop. Stupid piece of &%$# refuses to die, so someone from university IT is going to have a look tomorrow morning. wish me luck
smile.gif

Spec, if you're refering to my post, then you didn't click on the link
laugh.gif
. Linux is an OS (operating system), think Windows, except infinitly better. Furthermore free doesn't always mean bad, you need some more exposure to the open-source movement, google can help you there
smile.gif

A few friends who are "hackers" if you will, insist on Linux for quite numerous reasons. Although I've also been told that it is a bit more complicated and less user-friendly than Windows. It is the choice of the underground-online movement. I don't use it by the way. So I've been told.

Joe

Well, super, you bring up a point which no one can really deny, at this current point, Linux does require a slight amount of knowledge about what's going on, but that's the beauty (well, one of the beauties) of the open-source movement: it's constantly changing, new revisions are being made every moment, specifically in the direction of "user friendliness". But you need to consider, would the tech saavy use Linux if the only difference was that it can be more difficult to use? The point is that it is a more powerful tool, so much more can be accomplished easily, so much more in fact, that it's worth taking the 5 minutes to remove the shade form the few areas where some may exist. But in every aspect, it is a better tool than any product that Microsoft has yet to offer. So, before I go too far, let me leave it at, if you have any questions or intrests in Linux, feel free to contact me, or do some research yourself.
--Est

I've got Zone Alarm, Mcaffee, Panicware, Pop- Up Blocker, and Spamblocker to deal with viruse, ads, and spam. Do Ialso need LINUX? Is Spyblocker 2.0 a legitimate tool or just another bogus ad?

Hi All

Spyware killers do not get rid of virus's! They help in preventing them. if the virus is new and no software has been written for containing it , you cant stop it.You have to update virus software all the time. As for Lunix There is also Macintosh which has A Unix Core now and is more reliable than lunix and might we note Lunix runs on a Mac. Mac have very few virus's as with lunix.Nortons is good for virus software for a PC, Macaffe Pro I think is better with updatting and getting new updates. Spybot destroyer is a good product for keeping spyware which can have virus attached in the spyware.Adaware is also good but it creats a huge memory block on your computer and slows down computers. Just a few thoughts.
Jim

Thats right. Virus writers go for things that make the biggest impact.

As far as viruses go sasser isnt that bad. It doesnt delete programs or format harddrives like lots of others do.

I have a simpler solution. Get a MAC.
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 05 2004,8:30)]I have a simpler solution.  Get a MAC.  
biggrin.gif

cool.gif
MACs <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>SUCK!</span>
tounge.gif

wow.gif

I have interenet washer, hack tracer, norton, Popup Blockers, etc. etc.

Oh, and if I get a email like "hi, how are you?" I just delete them, they're almost always spam! I've also been getting spam e-mails with "RE:" in them! Filthy little Fat Ba**a*ds

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 05 2004,9:30)]I have a simpler solution.  Get a MAC.  
biggrin.gif

cool.gif
I'm pretty sure that the reason Macs don't have many viruses is because they (macs) are so lame that no one owns them (cept graphic artists) so there is no reason to make viruses for them.
Andrew

Careful with the Mac slams --- after the blaster virus took out one of the servers at PFT -- this place is 100% Mac and Linux based :)

My sister and her husband's computer got the sasser worm. They did get rid of it though. I keep getting a bunch of emails with viruses attached from my college. I guess they must be having trouble with it. Can't you get the sasser worm even if you don't download anything?? I heard somewhere that you can get it if you don't have a firewall by just getting on the internet. Is this right?

-buckeye

thats what i've heard - you have to have the latest patch for windows installed to prevent it from getting to your computer or an active antivirus program like Norton running .

You, see the relationship between all of the posts here is that people are writing several things. The simple point is that you don't need to have things installed, and you never need to worry about getting a virus before the "cure" comes out, or anything of the sort. The reason, adnedarn, that there are no viruses for Linux or Mac's, is because they are security based platforms. Furthermore, (another beauty to open source) people are always changing their versions, you can stick with a big name company, getting constant updates, or you can go for a less known version, this means thsat there are less similarity between platforms, and thus, less similar exploits, so if someone ever were to find a loophole, it could (generally speaking) only effect a small amount of machines. Woops- lunch's over...
--Est

I have never owned a Windows Based Computer. From the Apple II to the Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002, I have always had Apple Computer Products. Since owning a Macintosh since 1994, I have only had 1 computer virus and all it did was move my mouse pointer around.

As far as viruses go, I have yet to see one for Mac OS X. I do not have a virus program, although I should to eliminte the virus junk I receive from Windows based systems. I get virus attachments all the time, which cannot even run on my system. I am currently removing them by hand as I come across them.

Everyone has a platform of choice, and mine is Mac OS X!
tounge.gif

Back