What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dandelions

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've brought up to view dandelions as unwanted weeds, that must be pulled up, chemically destryed or somehow removed. I have driven myself nuts trying to do so. However, one day, while just driving, I saw a very large patch of land with grass, laced with the yellow-flowered dandelion. It was beautiful! yellow flowers on a green backdrop. What's wrong with it? What's the esential difference between cultivated and desirable marigolds or daffodils - and hated dandelions? Nothing, in my opinion! They're attractive. They're about the hardiest plants around. No need to water or fertilize. Prolific, edible. People make wine out of them. Why do we drive ourselves nuts trying to get rid of them?

dunno, I know one thing though it's impossible for us to control them, we have a yard big enough for a 9 hole, all par 3 golf course lol

I know that people eat dandelions. Can not beat them - Eat'em!
cool.gif
wink.gif

I think that dandelions became the nemesis of people going for that perfectly manicured lawn. Also, their roots are tough, and they can outcompete some vegitables if you have a vegitable garden. So they're really only the enemy if you're going for a certain look or growing delicate veggies.

Mmmmm... dandelion wine.
tounge.gif

I love them.

They are delicious if you get them before they bud. Try to get them with minimal dirt attached (although remember minerals are part of a good diet). Cook until tender, serve hot with butter , salt and lots of pepper. They present a slightly bitter palate, but no more so than endive. A meal of them is a spring tonic.

For wine, the petals only are used, which means removing them from the heads. You need a gallon of clean petals! After bending over for hours gathering them, stripping them, making and bottling the wine, if someone offers you a glass sometime, sip it slow and be mighty with your praise: it is a kingly gift.

The flowers make a lovely lawn when mixed with violets, small lawn daisys, veronica, squill, grape hyacynth. I mow before the seeds come but not much before. I don't give a hoot about a manicured lawn. I care about beauty, and these radiant flowers have pleased me since I was a kid playing with them. They are the soul of "Yellow", and like little suns tell me winter is FINALLY done!

They are dandy lions for sure.

I hate 'em.  Noxious weed.  Grow everywhere.  Kill, kill, kill!  
mad.gif

I don't have anything close to a "manicured lawn" but they still uglify my yard.  I cut the grass and 2 days later there are those dang tall flower stems with the "poof balls" on them poking up everywhere.

Hate weeds...add too much time to yard work.  Grass is fine...weeds = extra labor.

Oh...I should say that in natural areas, dandelions are nice, very pretty wildflowers. They just look out of place in a yard that is *mowed*. You either go for the all-natural look (like William) or enjoy them out in the wild...like a field. But a trimmed yard? In my opinion, there's no way to mesh the two and have it not look like do-do.

Talk about contrast...Gotta love diametrically opposed opinions about the same topic!
laugh.gif
A weed is how you define it. My father refered to my strawberry plants as weeds. In contrast, I saw strawberry-rhubarb pie!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ May 07 2004,5:51)]dandelions are our friends
I say that to my kids about math - but they don't believe me!

My birds love dandilion seeds and foliage. I think they ruin a natural area sortof- them being imported from europe and all

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 07 2004,1:05)]For wine, the petals only are used, which means removing them from the heads.
I use to have a recipe that used the whole flower.  Made a kick-a$$ wine.  I still have 3/4 of a gallon from the last batch I made back in '85.  Mighty fine year
biggrin.gif
!  Definitely likes to sneak up on you and kick your feet out from under ya!  Wish I could find that recipe again.  It's probably out in the shed.  If so, it's gonna be a while 'fore I can dig it out again.

BCK

Back