What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The utah carnivorous plant society

Hello everybody!

I have been working on organizing a CP society for where I live, here in Utah.  And that dream has finally come to pass!  
biggrin.gif
 I am pretty happy about the beginning we are having.  7 local members, and 5 or so interstate and international members who provide advice for some of the questions asked.  I purchased the webspace and uploaded the PHP software.  Now, newbies from Utah have a place to ask questions specific to our location about growing CPs.  Plus, they can ask terribly "newbie" questions without any intimidation, since the majority of the members here in Utah are all going to be newbies too.  The CP addiction is yet to overcome Utah, and with little reserve I plan on spreading that delightful disease.  
laugh.gif

Well, to tell the truth.  There is still much to be done, in the planning of our first meeting.  But, we have been official for roughly two weeks now with our own little forum for Utah growers to ask advice about growing their CPs.  You can check it out here : The Utah Carnivorous Plant Society Forum

The layout is almost an identical twin to CPUKForum.  With help from the administrator of that Forum, I have been able to make it user friendly.  So far, I have appreciated VERY MUCH the help of the outside members who are willing to drop in every once in awhile and help me answer questions.  

As I train my users at the UCPSForum on how to use the forum.  --Most members are very young-- I will point them in the right direction towards TerraForums and CPUKForum, so that they can delve deeper into the science of growing these wonderful plants.  

Thanks again for all of your help here at Terraforums and CPUK, for teaching me most of what I know about CPs!  Wish me luck with this new society, and if you happen to pop in to our webpage and have any critiques or suggestions, let me know.  My username there is ADMIN_UCPS.  

Take Care!  

-- Aaron King

LOOKS GREAT! Can Californians join?
biggrin.gif

(oh, and did I mention I'm good at HTML codingg? I could help you build your website)

Hey Spec,

Sure! Anyone could join the Forum. Unless, specifically requested I won't bother anyone outside of Utah with our humble newsletter I am working on. But, if anyone wants to donate a story or an article to it, please PM me!
biggrin.gif

I'd be honored if you joined the forum Spec! However, I am rather enjoying learning HTML. So, unfortunately I want to do the code work.
smile.gif
But, I may ask for your help in the future.

Thanks for checking it out!

Congratulations!  This is great news.  The proliferation of CP Societies really makes me happy, a sure indication that the interest in these plants is spreading.   Good work!

Wow, awesome! I was thinking about starting a society here where I live, in NC. Do you have any suggestions on it? Anything, from the most general to the most specific is welcome! And how are you printing your newsletter?
Thanks,
Craig

Hi Nep_Lover!

Suggestions. Well...since I am just beginning the society I have no idea what I have done right or wrong!
biggrin.gif
I could have done more of one than the other, for all I know at this point. I would definitely suggest looking into the available societies in your area. I would be amazed to here that North Carolina hasn't a single CP society!?!?
smile.gif
With Venus Fly traps being native there and all. But, if you don't find one in your area, I suggest that you'd go ahead and start one yourself. It is great work, but also great fun. Plus, you meet a load of people already interested in CPs just like you, and you didn't know they were there! It seems that once a CP society is born they start coming out of the woodwork!
biggrin.gif

So, the only suggestions I could add are:

1-- See if there isn't already one available.
2-- If not, get a website going.
3-- Direct fly trap impulse buyers to your website for helpful growing tips.

These have all worked for me so far. Good luck with yours!

Craig, the way the NECPS got started was that one man had a dream, and he took note on the CP listserv (are you on the mailing list?) whenever someone posted from New England area.  He emailed us, and spent a lot of time and effort getting everything rolling.

So, it's a lot of work to get it started, but it's worth it.

One thing that's helped us a lot is that we meet at, and are loosely affiliated with, the New England Botanical Gardens.  Another thing that helps is having a core of excited, active members.  And finally, i'd say that a nice web page can certainly make a difference- it gives you somewhere to point people you meet on the street, and lends credibility.

Yeah, good suggestions both! No, I am amazed that I can't find a single "active" society down here! It's amazing!

Craig

Wow.  Never would have guessed that in North Carolina!  
biggrin.gif
 I challenge you to get one going, Craig.  Good luck with it.  
smile.gif

Thanks! I'm going to post a thread here about it, maybe get something organized!

Back