What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jimscott's plants

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
101_0125.jpg

101_0126.jpg

101_0130.jpg

101_0134.jpg

101_0136.jpg

101_0137.jpg

Edit: I put each image on a new line so they go down the page instead of across.. that will help with the sideways scrolling... Tony
Edit: Don't want PAK to have a seizure ;-) Pat

Nice photos but they are HUGE and take forever to open.

Oh, you noticed that too! I have a Windows 98, dial up, and NO high speed anything. Egads, it takes forever - and I don't think they all showed up. I had a co-worker take them and burn them to CD. It took forever to upload as well. Well, you get the picture, so to speak.

Check out IrfanView. It's a free picture editing program you can download. Did I mention it was free
rock.gif
?. You can use it to reduce the size of your pics before you upload them to the internet. you can do a google search to find it or I can PM the link to you if you prefer.

smile.gif

BCK

jim jim, what is that sposed to be? i no understanding.

T. Did you scroll to the right?? The pic is sorta large
wow.gif

smile.gif

BCK

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ May 16 2004,4:05)]T.  Did you scroll to the right??  The pic is sorta large
wow.gif

smile.gif

BCK
laugh.gif

oh. duh. i thought it was supposed to be a picture of a water droplet and a crate. (lol) *whew* thanks. i'm not so confused anymore.

Hahaha, whoooooooeeee! Wait until PAK sees this. I think you beat my record! Well. one thing I notice is the quality of the sand in the D. capensis is suspicious since I see multicolored grains. I don't want to worry you needlessly, but the sand seems to be other than pure quartz silica which is typically uniformly white, and over time your plant *may* experience some issues with undesirable minerals leaching into the mix. On the other hand, it may be just fine, and the quartz is simply another color. Keep an eye on the plant, and if it looks like it is in decline then you can consider transplanting. Your mix looks good right now in all the other pots, no algae or mosses: a good sign. The plants appear pest free.

"Doc" Dawnstar

Actually, it DOES let me see the plants up close like I'm really there. Looks Good!

I did not wait for the pictures to load. Dial up.
Gotta learn how to crop and compress.
wink.gif

You saw my capensis in there? All I can see is my ventricosa and primuliflora. Anyone see the Sarrs or binata or intermedia or sethos or...? I was using pool filter sand. I've already PM'd Suzanne about removing the topic - unless of course it provides copious portions of comic relief. Irfanview? Sounds good to me! What a disaster!

I'm gonna go to bed while this topic opens ;>

Maybe I can see the sand grains in the morning! hehe

T

Jim,

Dod the pool filter sand come from Walmart?  This is similar to what I have seen there.

Hey, somebody fixed the pics! Thanks! Much better!

OK OK....I see all those pokes at me!! Gee...does EVERYBODY know I hate large file sizes?? GOOD! hehe
tounge.gif

Jim REQESTED I delete this topic but if the pics were fixed, I'll hold off. Jim, PM me again if you still want this deleted. I will hold off for now.

And to all y'all pokers.....
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Thank you for fixing them! Please leave them up. The sand came from a place called NAMCO. I don't know if they are a chain or just a single store. I don't have enough experience to be sure if it is detrimental or not, although I haven't noticed any bad reactions from the plants. It does say, specifically, that it is pool filter sand.

That's much better!

Nice plants.

Nice plants is that a gublers ventricosa I see?

That ventricosa came from Lowes, with the pot saying, "Botanical Wonders." So did the S. purpurea and D. adelae. the Dixie Lace and capensis came from Mutschlers (a mom and pop shop). The primuliflora and most of the D. spatulata came from a local nursery. The S. rubra? and VFT's came from Home Depot. The other sundews came from BCK.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 16 2004,8:19)]Thank you for fixing them! Please leave them up. The sand came from a place called NAMCO. I don't know if they are a chain or just a single store. I don't have enough experience to be sure if it is detrimental or not, although I haven't noticed any bad reactions from the plants. It does say, specifically, that it is pool filter sand.
You're fine Jim. Quarts will trap other elements inside it's crystal latice work and change the color. Out side of synthetic sand you will have color variations, but color variation alone isn't enough to indicate a problem, unless you don't plain to repot for the few thousand years it takes the silica to significantly desolve, lol. I live in the state silica sand comes from and unless you live here it can be sort of hard to understand the concept of natrally pure sand because everywhere else in the world it's not. In impure sand you have grains of non-silica minerals which disolve faster, but that isn't the same as when the silica cyrstal lattice captures and holds another mineral in it's cage because in that case the mineral can't escape the crystal.
smile.gif

Back