What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poaching alert

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Since a lot of folks don't visit the Conservation Forum, I thought I'd post this here for everyone to read.  This alert is from Barry Rice.
---------------------------
Hey Folks,

I've been contacted by staff of The Nature Conservancy, in Alabama. There is strong suspicion that much of the seed from one of the Sarracenia alabamensis sites was stolen last year. If anyone sees people who are distributing lots of seeds of this plant, please contact me directly.

Thanks!

Barry
___

If anyone DOES get offered seed of this plant, do NOT make any direct accusations yourself.  Just go along as if its seed of any other plant and act accordingly.  But DO make sure you report it to Barry so it can be checked into.  If someone is looking to unload this seed, it should eventually trickle into the CP community and perhaps someone here.  Also if you could  tuck this info into your head so if in the future you see someone who has a lot of alabamensis seedlings or young plants for sale, this might be suspect too.  But please...do not accuse or act weird or you may alert a "suspect" that they could be investigated.  It sure would be nice to nail the person if this is true.

Also bear in mind a LOT of people have this plant and seeds legitimately! So don't go thinking EVERY seed or plant is poached. Just be mindful and alert.

We may never know the whereabouts of this seed, but if we act as a community NOT to support such poaching, it will help.  Look at how many alabamensis plants won't grow now with that seed gone.  
sad.gif

Always gonna be some *&!@# who will abuse our good planet for a buck.  
rock.gif
 Keep an eye out on eBay too...it can be used to unload pilfered plants/seeds.

Thanks all!

Expect a visit from the men in black coats...  
blues.gif

Back