What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southeast cp society

Yes, we have a site at http://www.southeastcps.org. Please check it out and give feedback.

It seems that there is an optimistic count of 20 people. The problem is that there hasn't been any promotion of the society at all. We've been depending on random chance that people stumble across our thread.

If you have any ideas or can contribute content (journal articles or cultivation techniques) to the site, please speak up!

prmotion of the society... That seems to be next. Someone suggested we advertise in the ICPS's journal. Does anyone know if they could put together a little notice or something? You know, like the adds in it? A little picture and description, etc. We need a volunteer for that now!

thanks,
Craig

Hey, guys, I'm adding links on the roster page to pages for each member listed. If you have a website, I'll link your URL there, or you can provide content for an SECPS-hosted profile page.

Use your page to talk about yourself, your collection, whatever, and list growlists and wanted lists.

Also, I need pictures for the gallery!

- Patrick

I haven't even begun to wade through all the messages here, but I figured I'd add that I live in Virginia and I'm a professional web designer.

The website looks good so far!I thought Craig would be a good president.....I dont know who it can be.

Jerry

we seem to be in a rut here. Let me see... What have we left to deal with. We need a secratary, but that can wait, we need a financil identity, I'm working on it, and we need some meetings. The later we can discuss! I think we decided on having gib meetings either every one or two years, and smaller ones two-three times a year at different places. Am I right?

Thanks,
Craig

Oh, does anyone have suggestions for places to have the big meetings?

We again seem to have, ummm... Stopped. That's the bad news. The good news id that this time we stopped because we've run out of things that need organization! That could be good. We do have some stuff left though! (I might repeat myself here, but I haven't posted in, hmm... Almost 10 days! Horrible!)
Meetings and the newsletter come to mind.
Let's start with the newsletter-
We have a volunteer for the editor, so that's covered. Now we need articles and such. Now, we decided on mandatory article rwrighting,a t least for a while, until we have some more submissions and such form others, and don't need that requirement any more. Any ideas for topics? Just post an idea for an article you would be able/willing to wright, and we can see what we're going to have!

Meetings won't be for a little bit longer, once our financial identity is up (My job, working on it), but anyone have suggestions on it? Expecially places for it, preferably near the most members possible.

Thanks,
Craig

I think UNCC would be good in late May or early June when the weather is nice and everything is growing.

Hi.I was wondering.On the site it says that membership is $10.
A page or two back it was said to be $2-$5.Well which is it?I dont know if I want to pay $10 a year and might not be able to come to even one meeting.I dont know about you,but every dollar counts around here.

Jerry

That could be changed, if some more people agree. Everything is flexible, so yeah, it's not final. We decided on that a while back, but we might be able to lower it..... I'm not sure. We don't have much support at the moment, so 10 for an adult sounded good, and that's annualy. Of course, we also need to figure out the costs of meetings, and as we have no clue as to what's going on in that area, we can't be sure of how much $$$ is needed. Does anyone have any ideas on the costs of meetings? If we could figure out what our annual expences were, and then divide it by people, than try and fiigure in auctions, donations, etc, we could get a better estimate on what the fee should be. That's another project! $10 sounds good for now, as we have just a few members, but if some others voice their opinion, that's easily changed.

Thanks,
Craig

I'm here,not much going on.
smile_h_32.gif

Jerry

Same - so little activity.

I wonder why everyone loves the NECPS but noone is interested in an SECPS?

Patrick

I think the main reason is that the potential membership here is spread out over a much wider area than their membership is. That makes the prospect of meetings and events more of a problem for people to attend. I know at one point the talk was about regional meetings - but I don't think that there are enough people for that. I think if something concrete were happening (meetings, an informal get together at a botanical garden, a field trip, etc) more interest would be generated.

Hi Guys -

The decreased activity could just be because it's summer. Our activity drops then and then picks up big in the fall. Have you guys actually had a get together yet? I think that would psych people up. Maybe have a raffle or plant swap too. I would have one of your members write a press release about the meeting and submit it to the local papers - make sure to include that kids can come. You'll need to include things on why it's newsworthy (Smith's Garden Center is donating....[Smith's would be someone who actually advertises in that paper], why these plants are fascinating....., why would people want to come?, etc. They might not run the story, but then again....they just might!! Also, many garden centers will let you post flyers about meetings. Libraries will too. I spoke about CPs at our local library and an elementary school - it was great fun - the kids were about jumping out of their skins! The library even put me on local cable TV. Both talks generated lots of interest and a new member or two.

I know our NECPS members just about go crazy with anticipation just before our actual meetings. What's gonna be on display? What goodies will be at the auction table? What tid bits can I learn? Hmmmmmm...what will I bring this time? Many of us drive about 2 hours to get there. Right now we are planning our 2nd annual CP Show for early October. If any of you will be up this way around that time we'd love to see you. It's gonna be amazing!

WildBill

Thanks a lot for the advice there! However, as has been voiced before, Its all about us being a little to wide spead. How big is your area? Not quite as large as ours...
Yes we don't have enough interest yet to divide it up so uch as to have things often, but we are to large an area for what we are doing now. A get together wouold be great, and Mellichamp has volunteered to host a meeting. I'm not sure if that's close to everone though.
We'll see.

Thanks,
Craig

Posts a month apart. By the same person. THis needs a little work. I also have an offer to host a (small) get-together in VA. Dangerous Plant's Thomas Hayes offered to lend his facilities a well. He has around 10,000 plants on 1/4 of an acre, so if 10-15 people wanted to get-together, etc, it could be arranged

Thanks
Craig

Let me know when your thinking of doing this. I would possibly be willing to make the drive there.

Back