What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southeast cp society

I just don't stop, do I?

I was wondering if you guys think we should have an admission fee, and if so, how much it would be. I think we should have one, but I'll leave it up to you!

Craig

I personally don't think that there should be an admission fee, unless we start a publication, or have a website that you should pay for. Right now, I would recomend using Geocities(or the such), and do e-mailed letters. If we have a seed bank we could charge a small amount(postage and something for donations for maybe a non-profit cp organization like NASC or the ICPS).

Later,
Wes

If you want to send out free plants, we should charge admission, I agree with wesley, Under certain circumstances we should

I am open to sugestions. I have learned that geocitites isn't the best web-hoster, and I think it would be best to get a domain name and better hosting. I have been directed to crosswinds.net (good hosting) and the cost for a 20 page site and domain name + email addresses would be $15 to set up and about $35 quarterly. That's about $50 to start (that includes the first quarter) and from then on it would be about 12 dollars a month. That would be what the admission would go to, as well as funding other projects when they come up. I agree, we should have a little left over if we charge to donate to various organizations! So, I think an admission fee is good, at least to pay for web hosting! that would be.....
$50 setup + first quater
9 people + me = 10 expressing interest so far
$5 entry fee-
$1.20 a month?
hmmmmmm......
Maybe have donations to the SECPS? Because charging 1.20 a month is sort of odd.....
Well, maybe.
I'll wait till the results are in to decide.
my 2 (or 99) cents

Thanks,
Craig

I don't know how many people are in the other cp societies, but 10 seems like a very small number of interested people to me. I'm not against charging a fee, but it might not be the best idea right at the start if you're trying to attract more people. A new society doesn't have all that much to offer at the beginning, especially with people spread out in 4 or 5 different states, but I'm all for "steaming" ahead.

If you want to use an article from here you need to ask the person that wrote it. If they agree then you can use it.
You are welcome to use anything I have written here.
And here's my email
voodoodancer@hotmail.com

I dont think a fee would be good until we get more members.We can start off with a free website first,then move on to one we could pay for.I use freewebs.com (they put adds at top of page)for my site,and I will link the site to mine when it is up and running.When we get more members we could hold a small auction to pay for a better site.My 2 cents.

Jerry

$20 a year! I dont think so!We could hold a auction and make enough to pay for a site or what ever.If this was a local thing I could see $20 a year,but we are spead out and might not ever see each other.What will the $20 go to?The seed bank is a good idea.

Jerry

20 is QUITE steep, especially for a college student like myself who will have enough trouble paying for rent, food, utilities, and the occasional luxury, like a DVD. I'd say if were going to start charging a fee, we should keep it under 10. It's not like we have a lot of running costs at the moment, anyway.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but we still need $170! Oh well. I think that you're right though, and that if we do charge a fee, we should wait until we have more memebers. It definitely would help encourage people to join! And we want members! Yes, 10 is small, that's why we need more! Again I will ask, is there anywhere else that you know of that I could post this? We want more possible members! I will try to find other fourms, but suggestions are definitely helpful!!!!

Thanks!
Craig

Ok so now what? Everyone agrees that 10 people is a low number, and no one seems to know where else to post this to generate more interest. There are over 2000 people on this forum, and yes we know about 1900 are from California, but that still leaves a bunch that might live in the Southeast. If we can't generate interest on a forum devoted to carnivorous plants how can we get members from the general public? I don't mean for this to sound negative - just a couple of questions I was thinking of. By the way its almost 8pm and its still 94 degrees - ain't the SE wonderful.

Um, not to sound optimistic, but I just posted on the CP listserve and got 3 replies other than you guy in about 3 hours. That looks good.

Yep, I'm happy!
Craig

I can be of some help for the secps. I've been an art director
for 10 years at a few top agencies. I now run a very succesful
mail order business. I think this is a great idea, I have some
great ideas for design and marketing. We could have a bi-
monthly newsletter that we you could download from the
site as a pdf. You could print it out and read it, very easy!
I looked and secps.com is taken but tsecps.com is not.
The cost is very minimal to star a website, it can be done
for $8 for domain registration and $10 a month for web space,
no free space! That's for amateurs, especially with all the ads.
I have some great ideas for a logo. Everyone could write some
articles about their experiences, and ad some pics of their
collections. We could get some cp nuseries in the se to
sponser and donate some articles. We could have an auction
to get some money to start, but believe me it won't take much.
What we all really want is to have a group to talk and share
information with and have field trips and meetings and sales.
Please don't hessitate to email me directly to discuss at:
gblakelydesign@nc.rr.com

I just saw a map posted in Copper's post and it shows Virginia as being "NORTHEAST"!  
confused.gif
  Since when is VA a northern state?

I think there needs to be a definition of what "southeastern" includes so people know if there state is "in".  But don't ask me because I suck at geography.  
smile.gif

BTW...Welcome to the forums, Heliguy!
smile.gif
Glad to have you aboard and interested in a new CP group. Seems to be a big inspiration lately. Its great to see the passion spreading and becoming more cohesive.

I'm no expert but I would assume Kentucky, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida... and anywhere else that "y'all" and "I'm a fixin to" start a sentence and/or you have to watch out for fire ants and alligators when you walk outside

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 26 2004,10:27)]I just saw a map posted in Copper's post and it shows Virginia as being "NORTHEAST"!  
confused.gif
  Since when is VA a northern state?
Since about 1985, when the great New Yorker exodus began
biggrin.gif

Heliguy: great ideas there! I agree, free webspace would be good, but I found a place with some help from the people here that's even better! It's www.crosswinds.net! great site, with awesome hosting for $12 a month or about $35 quaterly! check itt out, see if you approve! Also, for the website name, I was wondering if something not directly based on the word "SECPS" was open, like ummm......
like carnivorous-plants, or SEcarnivores, or you know, be creative!
The idea for the newsletter format, also good. Again, does anyone have articles or pictures to contribute? As it would be online for a while, we should work by posting here or through pm or email! Mine in spleenboy101@earthlink.net (don't ask about the spleen, it's a long story)

Thanks!
Craig

I'm just southwest of Atlanta, and I'd love to be a part. I can design a site for the SECPS, if you need me to show you some examples of what I've done before, I can do that (email me). We would need money for hosting, however.

I think that if there are many people in NC, we should actually start two branches of the society. There should certainly be one in NC, but we also desperately need one in the Atlanta metro here in GA.

I'd really like to help a lot. Please contact me for Web information or for any other help that I can be. I really think that an SECPS North (for North Carolina) and an SECPS South (for Georgia) would be a great idea, if you want them to be joined in some way.

Otherwise, I would like to start an additional, separate society for Georgia/Alabama and the immediate area.

I am very serious and passionate about this idea. No CPS here has bothered me for a long time, and we have the wonderful Atlanta Botanical Garden right here in town. It has one of the best CP collections around and it does extensive conservation/restoration work.

Geocities has good, reliable ad-free hosting including a domain name (i.e. www.secpsonline.com) for only $9 a month. But where will this money come from?

Back