What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southeast cp society

As D. muscipula said, we should attempt to consolidate as much as possible. Are there any other societies that would be interested? Especially societies in the southeast. I'm petty sure that there's a south florida CPS, but I'm not positive. I'll check. Does anyone else know of other societies in the SE, or in the US (preferably not to far from the SE)?
Love the website ptfreelander! You should post the links I gave you, I'll give you more, plus descriptions later!
Also, I am considering going up to botanique nursery in VA, www.pitcherplant.com, anyone been there? How long would it take to see everything? I mean everything.

Thanks,
Craig

Just to let everyone know - I will be out of town from Wednesday, June 2 through Saturday, June 5.  I can be contacted until Tuesday night and then again starting Sunday morning.

Dangit, I thought you were talking about a southeast asia cp society when I first read it...we could use a little help here...
I'll be the founder of the non-existent 'carnivorous plant society of southeast asia' hey not bad!
smile_n_32.gif
biggrin.gif

(or maybe even singapore)
biggrin.gif

OK, we have the site up, and everythings going fine, but we still need some stuff done. I think that we need a treasurer (yes this is already up, but few have responded. One vote) Are there any volunteers for the treasurer? I will volunteer, but only if no one else does. I say we give a deadline of say, June fifth, to volunteer, and we could have someone elected by the twentieth! Also, the society can't deal straight from someone's personal finances! That's something the treasurer needs to set up. once they're elected. Another thing we should do, once we get the finances, is to apply for nonprofit status and get our own financial identity. Another duty for the treasurer. Again, I am volunteering, but only if no one else wants to. I will be happy to be treasurer, but it's open to anyone. After we have obtained a treasurer, then we need anyone interested in the society to send their dues in! Once we have our own financial identity that is.
Also, besides the treasurer, we need other positions to be filled. I have this in another post, but no one responded.
We need a president, treasurer, someone to head and edit the newsletter (could be more than one person), someone to coordinate meetings/events, a manager of the seed bank (when we get seeds, this position isn't urgent), a treasurer, and a webmaster (patrick triggs, aka ptfreelander).
Webmaster is taken. We will get a treasurer soon, and as we won't have meetings for at least a while, the next things we will need are the journal position(s) and a president. President should be by nomination. Nominate today! As for the journal, we need volunteers! I have pieced together an article on the basics of nepenthes cultivation, and I am looking for others to put together some articles! Maybe we should make it mandatory for all members to submit at least one article a year for inclusion in the journal. We could have a list of past topics, and people could choose new ones!

Thanks,
Craig

I nominate nepenthes_lover president, since this whole thing was his idea in the first place (I believe, as he started the thread).

I'm not against that, but I think that nepenthes_lover is a teenager. Would that present any legal issues with a minor in charge of an organization, or dealing with sponsers, or botanical gardens for meetings, etc? Just a thought, I'm not questioning his motivation or qualifications. In fact I applaud anyone willing to "volunteer" for the amount of work I think this will involve.

hmmm..... I've though about this, and I am not sure. I will check on this, as I would love to head the SECPS, but don't want to face any legal issues. I will check online, and will consult an attorney (friend of mine). I'll know tommorow, and I'll tell you then! I don't think there would be any problems, at least not in me dealing with sponsors and nurseries, etc, as payments will be made by the treasurer and the organization itself. However, we will be applying for tax-exempt status (I know how, a friend and a parent both did it) and there might be a problem with that. They require a list of your officers, and the president might not be able to be a minor. I'll check. Thanks for the nomination! Tell you when I can!

Thanks,
Craig

i would love to join im a little late but i live in Philly Pennsylvania

i would love to join im a little late. i live in Philly Pennsylvania so i dont know how far it would be

Philly's not far from DC, and I'd like to think (hope) that we'll have some kind of activity in the mid-atlantic. You've got Longwood Gardens (they used to have CP at least), and then there are the field trip possibilities to the New Jersey Pinelands.

Note to ptfreelander- put the following html code by Sarracenia Northwest-
<font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><a href="http://www.cobraplant.com">Carnivorous Plants by Sarracenia Northwest</a><br>Spectacular carnivorous plants for your home and garden. Choose from our large selection of outdoor and indoor carnivorous plants. Complete growing instructions are included. Excellent for the first time grower. Check us out!</font>

(reciprocal link)

Thanks,
Craig

I will be out of reach until Sunday.  I'm heading to Virginia for the Joseph Pines Preserve tour with Meadowview.

Any questions/comments/submissions for the Web site, which is now online at http://www.southeastcps.org , can be sent to my email or to my inbox here at Terraforums, and I will go through it as soon as I get home.

Have a great week,

Patrick

hmmmmmm..... Seems to be getting stagnent here. Why don't we work on the newsletter until we can get the officers cleared up. Should we have a format like the NECPS, with a casual format? (you can check it out at their website at www.necps.org) Or should we have a more formal one, with articles and submissions, like the ICPS? The first would be simpler. What do you think? You can check out both online.

Thanks,
Craig

Hey, I'm back in town.  I hope it isn't a permanent stagnation...I really like this SECPS idea.  

I just got back from the Joseph Pines Preserve tour with Meadowview...the work they are doing is amazing and is protecting S. flava in Virginia.  The plant will be extinct in the wild in that state within just a few years because it isn't currently and isn't going to be listed as endangered by the Virginia government.

Any format for the newsletter is alright with me.  I kind of prefer "formal" formats, but anything will suffice as long as it serves to inform and educate.

Work. Tiredness. Aquiring new plants under my parents' radar (Concerns over transporting growing collection b/w Roanoke and Richmond).

I'm guessing....good idea, but fizzled out due to general lack of interest? Or is something still going on?

Not much going on here,just work.

Jerry

Hmm...I though people were really interested. Seems I was wrong. There have been so few posts...

I would have thought that with the success of the NECPS, a southern society was sure to prosper.

i live in georgia, and i would definately join! count me in!!

Back