What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southeast cp society

I can update the Web site, without fail, on a weekly basis if I am chosen to design it.  If you'd like to see some examples, take this link to see a few screen shots of my work.  I am very flexible and can put together a concept within a few days if you'd like.   Web Design examples

I would like to state again that I think the range for this society is too large, and either two societies or two branches of one society should be developed, on in North Carolina and one is western Georgia.

Patrick Triggs

I think one site with individual pages for each chapter would be the way to go.

SECPS North for Virginia, West Virginia, South Carolina and North Carolina
SECPS South for Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida
SECPS West for Tennessee and Kentucky

Suzanne , VA has always been north to me.
smile.gif

I have been wanting to start a cps in the Carolina area, and I had planned to as soon as I got back home. Looks like you guys are going to beat me to it.
I have alot of ideas for this. One is field trips. There are alot cp sites there to explore. I have been wanting to do a organize a trip to the Green Swamp for about three years. But sometimes life gets in the way.
smile_h_32.gif
It has for me for the last two summers.
Me and NickHubbell have been trying to get the Erie CPS up and going. We will help you out anyway we can.
Another good person to talk to is wildbill, he's in the NECPS. They have done a very good job with theirs.
Check out the conservation forum for some article ideas. I have alot of post there that can be very easily made into articles. Most are about cp sites in the SE. You're welcome to use any that I have written.
I'm sorry I have been absent during this topic but my pc has a bug that I can't seem to fix, and the job that I'm doing is getting close to being finished and I'm working alot of hours there. By the way I'm wiring a Curves, I'm sure that most of the women here know what that is.
smile_m_32.gif

You might want to post this on Gardenweb.com.

A north branch for North Carolina, a south branch for georgia....um...what about the rest of the SE? Isn't that defeating the purpose if we start splintering up membership. I personally am about 500-600 miles from either N. Carolina or Atlanta, so which group would I fit in?

Sorry, never mind, I overlooked your post about north, south, and west. But I still think its a bad idea to have individual chapters under an umbrella organization.

People in one chapter would not be excluded from the activities of another. Rather, it would guarantee that each zone does actually have activities. If the SECPS were only in North Carolina, activities would most likely center there and so be nearly impossible for many members in Alabama to attend. However, if an Atlanta chapter is also planning activities, this allows Alabama easy access, while the Alabama members still have access to the NC activities as well.

I guess my idea of "chapters" is that there are multiple planning hubs that work together. I think that the mistake may have been in assigning states to each chapter. Rather, the chapters should only be identified by their actual location, and anyone from anywhere would be welcome to attend any event, since they all are part of the large SECPS.

This is just a concept, and the city names are only included to hold places and signify that city names would be listed, but here is an idea for an SECPS logo.  The URL is my suggestion, www.SECPSonline.com.

The logo is now available here, on the same page with Web concept ideas.

I think that a nice, clean, refined logo such as this is fitting.  Ornamentation, such as Sarracenia pitchers sticking out around the name, seems a little cheesy and cliché.

What do others think?

My $0.02:

Personally I like the idea of an umbrella organization with local chapters. I resurrected a Washington DC (Virginia, Maryland, DC with an occasional visitor from Pennsylvania) metro area CPS a number of years ago. It died due to lack of interest -- people would attend, but couldn't wouldn't help with programming (what are we going to talk about, look at, visit THIS meeting, Jay?!?!) and then dwindled off when the meetings were boring
smile.gif

An umbrella group that could share resources across a larger pool of people (combined newsletter/website, etc.) could (possibly) better feed smaller groups in more local area which would then not have to go it alone.

I live in Northern Virginia, about 35 miles west of Washington DC. Richmond (and the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden) is about a 2 hour drive for me. Raleigh is five hours, and I've driven down to the Green Swamp, Holly Shelter, Croatan or other sites along 17 <shhhh> on overnights just to see 'em.

My first-ever CP meeting was outside of Charlottesville, VA, and I met people from all over the eastern US -- from Upstate New York to Alabama. I'll never forget it. Meetings like that could happen annually, perhaps, with smaller events happening more frequently and more locally.

I'm the last person in the world who wants to overpromise -- stints as president of the above abortive endeavor, and of the ICPS -- have taught me at least that much.

But, I'm in publishing, I can turn out a fair newsletter if need be ....

I'd be willing to help as much as I could. However much that would be.

I'd certainly be happy to be counted as a member.

I think you see my concept perfectly. I would like pooled resources and society-wide attendance when possible, but local level activities will entertain and hold members in smaller, more manageable levels.

Someone in Georgia, for instance, can't make it to North Carolina on a monthly basis.

Publishing the newsletter would be excellent. I see it reading as activities taking place "in Atlanta" or "in Raleigh", not "for South Chapter members" or anything like that.

I think some fear that it will be segmented and made private, but what I see is attention at a local level that holds peoples' interest with feasible plans and activities, rather than one meeting a year that can be attended due to the long drive.

My major concern was what if I'm in a "chapter" with few members or one that fades away from lack of interest, I didn't want to be stuck having meetings or activities by myself (not very exciting). you have addressed that concern very well, however. I agree with you cheesy logos are bad.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I agree that small groups can die from lack of interest, but that large ones can't do much! That's why we want something in three decent sized groups that would meet maybe quarterly. That way it doesn't get old, you don't have to travel to often if you live a good distance away, and it would still not be toooooooo far. At most a state away. (still a good distance, but compare it to a floridian driving to west virginia) I love everyones ideas on the newsletter, and I would like anyone interested to contribute a logo, if it is just a rough draft or even an idea. Someone else could draw it, we just need a basic sketch or idea to work from! Then we could have a poll of the members. I would like to take a tally of everyone currently interested, so anyone new joining or who is already involved or interested, please email me, along with anything that you could contribute, are good at, want to suggest, or if you are interested in helping one of the three branches we are setting up. Also please give me the state, city, and branch of the SECP that you would be in! This applies to new as well as old members!!!! I will be posting this every time I feel are numbers are building up and no one can keep track of what positions are filled or not.

Just a rough tally of whats going on, in case you want to know-
members that I am aware of-

N=norht, S=south, W=west
Nepenthes_lover-  Me, Craig Park, Rocky Mount, NC, N SECPS
Ostiem Cafri- not much known, no information
PlantAKiss- Virginian, N SECPS
cool85k5- Southern Georgia, S SECPS
buster1- florida, SECPS
Ozzy- actually from Ohio, but is in NC often, N SECPS
Kirkscoastalcarnivores- Florida, S SECPS
Cynic81- Roanoke, Virginia, N SECPS
Wesley- Boone, NC, N SECPS
heliguy- Atlanta, Georgia, S SECPS
ptfreelander- Georgia, S SECPS
jlechtm- Northern Virginia, N SECPS

What people are doing-
(if it says not, don't worry, you'll be doing something soon enough........)

Nepenthes_lover-  If you don't know.......
Ostiem Cafri- not
PlantAKiss- help on graphic art for newsletter
cool85k5- general help
buster1- mainly suggestions
Ozzy- good ideas, field trips
Kirkscoastalcarnivores- website design
Cynic81- not
Wesley- website design
heliguy- design, marketing, logo
ptfreelander- logo and design (love it)
jlechtm- nothing... yet (yes, this is a threat)

My opinions on just about everything else posted recently-

ptfreelander- love the clean logo! Good idea on having a main site and then sections for the chapters
Buster1- agree that small chapters are bad, but see top of post
Ozzy- good ideas on field trips, already posted it at Gardenweb, not much response, so I moved here.

Also, does anyone have suggestion for cities to be the headquarters of the North, South, West, and Main sections of the SECPS? Somewhere within easy reach (well, reasonable) of its people?

On the subject of web hosting, we need a name, I liked www.SECPSonline.org, does anyone else have suggestions? If not, I'm getting it!

This is to speed up the webpage design project, As I asked wesley and krkscoastalcarnivores a while ago to help! Thanks you guys!

Well, I think that's more than $0.02, more like $99, but oh well, had to get it out.

Thanks, suggestions on website names, logos, and cities for the branches are welcome!

Craig

PS (edited on)
AS for field trips, amybe in the fall. Aynone have suggestions or ideas?

I put up Richmond as HQ for the N SECPS. A short distance from Meadowview, accessable from most anywhere in the region, and already home to 2 members (August-May. Then I go home).

Atlanta would be "headquarters" for the south, I guess, but I think you are missing the point.

Each member needn't belong to a chapter. The chapters are simply locations for convenience of access. Anyone would attend any activity that he or she felt was a reasonable trip to make.

I think that "chapter" may be a poor word choice, perhaps "planning center" or some other glossy word like that. (This is a joke on the naming aspect, but not on the function aspect).

We don't want to divide the society, just make it more accessible that it would be if it were only in one city.

If Kirkscoastalcarnivores is going to be doing the Web design, I am interested in seeing some examples of what can be done.

I also was reading back in the older posts - I would have to agree that membership fees are not a good idea right now, but if we do need them $5-$10 is more reasonable than a full-blown $20.

I think the seed bank should be left up to the ICPS. Seeds could, however, be traded within the SECPS. I just don't think a centralized storage location is appropriate.

I thought the seed bank could be used as a small souce of revenue for funding the web site or whatever. If we do decide to have one, I'd like to be involved in the planning. I'm only counting 12 people on your list, there has to be some way to generate more interest - I don't know what that is - but there has to be a way.

The DC society made ungodly amounts of money with plant sales ... individuals would sell plants (either at meetings or at several local plant shows) and the society kept 15% of the proceeds. The money was invested in some lavish picnics/get-togethers, refreshments for meetings, and needed equipment (i.e. a $100 shade tent for plant sales).

Something similar could be contemplated (web sales forum with a portion of the proceeds being donated, or even periodic auctions a la NASC). I'd be more than happy to donate a few plants a year to such an endeavor.

And hey .. I sorta/kinda volunteered to help with the newsletter (sorta/kinda) so no threats.

I agree that the "chapter" or "planning area" concept isn't (and shouldn't be) a physical one ... more of an organizational one. A society governing board, and then local governing boards responsible for membership/communications, programming/events, fundraising, etc.

Each planning area should -- once some sort of membership is established, make physical meeting/event decisions based on THAT (i.e. if 75 percent of the Southern group is from Orlando/Tampa, the meetings shouldn't be (or should rarely be) in Atlanta).

I think that sales with percentages to fund web, newsletter, etc. are a great idea.

I also agree with the comment about meetings being held to reflect populations, but I think Atlanta is certainly a hub because of the ABG and I know of at least 6 other people in the Atlanta area, so there are certainly more if they would come out of the woodwork.

Atlanta-dwellers should take advantage of the ability we have to grow CP using tap water!  The ABG itself uses city water, as do I, and the results are stunning.

Florida is so far south, it may require it's own hub.

ok ... no bragging about pure tap water (incredibly jealous here with the nasty Potomac River water I would have to use (if I didn't collect rain water)).

I think that groups of members (or chapters or planning areas or whatever you want to call them) could spring up anywhere. There are a number of growers in the DC area. There are a few in Richmond, and some inbetween. There are more in Raleigh, some in Charlotte, lots in Atlanta, a group in and near Talahassee, lots in Tampa/Orlando, and more further south in the Miami area (I think).

Does there have to be a limit on the number of groups/sub-groups? I think this would be self-limiting, and each group, no matter how small, could benefit from shared services (a website, fundraising abilities, communications/newsletters, help with programming (ideas, a video or book loan library, a speakers bureau, etc.).

I'd love have a forum where I could post, for instance:

"Hey, next Saturday I'm repotting 300 Sarracenia. Anyone want to help? Volunteers get first crack at divisions, leftovers, etc., as well as pizza, beer or the non-alcoholic beverage of your choice".

or:

"Green Springs Garden Park is looking for a speaker on CP for a kid's day program in Alexandria, Virginia. I can't go ... anyone can?"

I did what I did in DC before much in the way of web fora, I think this format would help a great deal (it was all e-mail and phone way back when
smile.gif
).

Each group gets its own forum folder or folders, and so on.

That sounds perfect to me. Simply put, there is a large resource network and organization, but local-level activities all over the coverage area make it possible for anyone to attend any event they want to.

I think that perhaps we don't need local chapters at all, and rather everyone throughout the society, as you gave an example, would bring events and trips to our attention. Then whoever was able to respond, could.

I think that your advice should be taken seriously, because you've done the CPS thing before.

Back