What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southeast cp society

I return! Sorry guys, I have been out of town for 2 weeks, and apparently everyone gave up while I was gone! Naughty naughty! We have come a long way, and we need to get going again. I can represent the society, with help from a parent or legal guardian (covered) so I will apply for the tax-exempt status. It will take a while. I was nominated for president a while ago. Is this still a go now that there are no legal issues? We need to officialy elect some as soon as possible! Also, we need a treasurer, so that the first thing we do is start sending in the society dues, and fill up the roster! I will be treasurer, unless there is another volunteer. Speak quikly, we need to get moving! If I am elected treasurer, then we can start sending in dues and such. Hurry up and elect someone!!!!!! I just came back from the chapel hill botanical gardens, visiting Mellichamp at UNCC, and carolina carnivores! It was awesome. The later two graciously offered there facilities for a meeting. I bought some plants as well, including, among others, a beautiful Devils Claw of david crump, and 2 giant nepenthes that were sold to me for $10 (alata and mixta x khansiana) by mellichamp! Looks good for the future! Don't give up!

Craig

Just to list them, here's what we have to do, preferably by the end of the month-

Apply (not get, that will be in a while) for tax-exempt status

elect all needed officers, including the president (one nomination, me), and a treasurer

all interested members send in dues to the treasurer (then we can have some funds for the site and to work on some new meetings and stuff)

get editor/editors for the newsletter. The format and content will be left up to them.

Post all information pertaining to elections, meetings, apllications, and etc, to the website.

GET GOING PEOPLE! (I'll message/email everyone)

Thanks,
Craig

Sorry, I haven't been on for a while and I don't exaclty want to go through 13 pages of stuff to find this info.

How much is it gonna cost?
How often will a newsletter be sent out?
What are our "sub-areas"(don't remember the term you used)
Where will the "sub-meetings" take place, and how often?
Where will the main meetings takes place, and how often?

Thanks for puting up with my being absent, and my laziness(LOL).

Wes

I think the next most important thing that needs to be done is to apply to be in the ICPS Webring. Oh, and get a web counter, too!

ptfreelander, if you're ever away fo rlong periods, I can take over temporarily for you
smile.gif

sounds good spec! As for the info-

membership: ptfreelander suggested-
Adult - $20 per year
Family - $25 per year
Student - $10 per year
sounds good to me, but we could drop everything but the student fee about $5, if that is what is wanted. It all depends on what we will be doing, and it might fluctuate year to year.

The frequency of the newsletter will be up to our editors. If they want to put out one a month, then they will be putting in more work, and will require more articles and contributions from members. I suggested earlier that every member must submit at least 2 articles a year for consideration, and at least 2 pictures. This would be required, and would keep the newsletter going easier. So the frequency is all up to the submissions and the editor(s)'s decisions. (we need editors!)

"sub-areas"- I called them hubs, but whatever. This is still debatable. Check out on pages 5-7. We are going towards an organization that has large, all-inclusive meetings every, say, 2 years. It would mainly consist of what was discussed on pages 5-7, where anyone doing anything could alert the society and bring members together. We might end up (this is my hope) with this system, plus three-four "hubs", located throughout the southeast. They would hold meetings either once or twice a year. Not as big as the all-inclusive ones, but bigger than the little things arranged by individuals. They could have, say, a christmas auction, picnic, swap, maybe have botanical garden visits, etc. The all-inclusive ones (held every two years or so) would be much larger, with maybe an auction, plant sales, tours of shops and facilities, meals would be served, lectures held, etc. Much larger. that's my goal, but others have expressed different opinions.

The "sub-meetings" will be held either once or twice a year, at wherever the hubs are. Namely places that the area members can all reach in an equal amount of time, and preferably located near handy facilities/gardens.

Where will the main meetings takes place, and how often- Every two years or so. They will be help at wherever the most people can attend. So if most of our members are Carolinians, it will be in the carolinas. I most of us come from georgia at the time, it will be in georgia. Anywhere it can be accessed, hosted, and have gardens, shops, etc nearby.

Hope that answers the questions!

Now, elect a president and treasurer!!!
Cast your votes/nominations now!

Thanks,
Craig

I think 20 dollars a year is asking a bit much for anyone, especially for a society just starting out. I would drop all of the fees to half, otherwise the society will be pretty slow going for quite a while. No one is going to pay 20 dollars a year for hardly any meetings and not many benefits (so far) I would wait a year or two before jacking up the prices. There are many people that would look at it like this; "For that price I could get ICPS membership!!"

I would say the "sub meetings" should be regular meetings, quarterly, and the 1-2 year meetings/shows, be "Special Events"

I would also suggest having a silent auction and public auction at every meeting, along with a raffle. That would help draw more members to meetings, as well as make money.

Several people should bring extra plants to sell as well!
smile.gif

How about listing all the positions you are looking to fill, then people can let you know if they're interested. If you fill all of your positions upfront, you'll have a core of people that can begin working on what needs to be done.

Good ideas all around! The fees can easily be changed to say, 10 for an adult, 15 for a family, and maybe 5-7 for a student. It all depends on how many people sign up. If we get only 10 members the first year, and they are all students, then we would have to charge around 15-20 dollars a year for them. But if we have many members, then the above prices could easily work! As we do more, they might have to increase, however. I agree thought that to start out they should be to high. Spec, I think the idea of regular "sub-meetings" being held 2-4 times a year would be good, with 1-2 of them being larger events.

POSITIONS THAT WE NEED FILLED-

PRESIDENT- 1 NOMINATION, ME. ANY OTHERS?
TREASURER- 1 VOLUNTEER, ME. I HAVE NO PROBLEM DOING BOTH, BUT IF ANYONE ELSE WANTS THIS, HAVE AT IT.
EDITORS FOR THE NEWSLETTER- I'M NOT DOING EVERYTHINNG! WE NEED VOLUNTEERS HERE.
SOMEONE TO ORGANIZE/ARRANGE MEETINGS FOR THE DIFFERENT "HUBS" OR "SUB-MEETINGS" WE WOULD NEED THREE PEOPLE, ONE EACH FOR THE NORTH, SOUTH, AND WEST AREAS.

Thanks,
Craig

Here is the setup BACPS uses:

Office                                           Name
President                                  Stephen Davis
Vice-President                           Bill Baumgartl
Secretary                                 Judith Finn
Treasurer                                 Joe Mazrimas
Newsletter Editor                      Christie Fremon
Assistant  Newsletter Editor        Tony Gridley
E-mail Distributor                       Bill Weaver
Snail Mail Distributor                  Paul Bourbin
Publicity                                  Larry Logoteta
Membership                             List Mike Ross
Auction                                  Glen Rankin
Auctioneer                              Peter D'Amato
Silent Auction                          Mike Ross
Raffle Manager                         John Pizzicara
Website Manager                      Albert Huntington
Business Manager                     Larry Logoteta

Mailing address BACPS
825 Bennington Street
Manteca, CA 95336

I agree, the membership rates should be cut to half, at least at first.

Also, thanks for volunteering to help with the site if I am out of town, I will keep that in mind.

-Patrick

A couple things: first give that spectabilis guy a free membership and make him vp. Southern US - Southern California no big difference. If you think membership numbers might be a problem how can we get more people interested for the initial sign-up? What exactly does the editor of a newsletter do? Are we planning a small (or large) seedbank? There is a thread on the trading site under seed distribution –“The remainder of the harvest will go to various society and free seedbanks. If you manage a seedbank, please contact me.” Its a Tamlin Dawnstar post. I also think lower prices for membership is good. Lastly, are we going to be a big enough organization to have quarterly submeetings. If there are only a few members in the hub groups is it worth trying to meet that often (initially, I assume more people will join eventually)? Ok its more than a couple things.

Stan

Opps, sorry you don't need to answer everything twice/

why does only john get free membership?

i think we need a company to sponsor us, not a small company like the various ones you see on the web that no one really cares about, but a big, southern based company.

i think someone mentioned a nursery called carolina carnivores? we could get them to be a sponsor us, or PFT
smile.gif

Actually, I think CaliCarnis is in NoCal.

*cough*junglewerks*cough*

OK buster!
as for your questions.....
"If you think membership numbers might be a problem how can we get more people interested for the initial sign-up?"
Not sure. If everyone who has been posting here on this thread sends in their dues, then we will be fine, but I am not sure how to spread the word. I'll work on it though! If anyone wants to help me, have at it! Any suggestions for getting the word out?

"What exactly does the editor of a newsletter do?"
They would be the people who you would send in your contributions to. they would choose and edit the articles for the current newsletter, mail or email it out, and determine how often they will be sent. they will put everything together in a coherent pattern, and put in some ads, seed lists, and the society news.

"Are we planning a small (or large) seedbank?"
Yep, already seeds in it! (thanks to patrick triggs! I'll be sending some in as well though!) Check it out on the website!!!! WWW.SOUTHEASTCPS.ORG

There is a thread on the trading site under seed distribution –“The remainder of the harvest will go to various society and free seedbanks. If you manage a seedbank, please contact me.” Its a Tamlin Dawnstar post.
Never heard of it. I'll get in contact with them though! Thanks!

I also think lower prices for membership is good.
I'm all for it as well, see my revised price list! Oh, and let's have patrick change it on the website as well.

Lastly, are we going to be a big enough organization to have quarterly submeetings? If there are only a few members in the hub groups is it worth trying to meet that often (initially, I assume more people will join eventually)?
As for this, I would agree. When we talk of meetings 2-4 times a year, we are thinking of the future. For the first say, year or two, the "hubs" would meet annually, depending on the support from the area, and the all-inclusive meetings held every 2-3 years. They will get more frequent as membership increases!

Hope that clears everything up!

CAST VOTES FOR PRES AND TREASURER!

Thanks,
Craig

The seeds listed on the site currently are only for an example. They don't really exist. The site does say that.

k, sorry. I will be sending some in pronto! But to whom?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ June 20 2004,3:45)]A couple things: first give that spectabilis guy a free membership and make him vp. Southern US - Southern California no big difference. If you think membership numbers might be a problem how can we get more people interested for the initial sign-up? What exactly does the editor of a newsletter do? Are we planning a small (or large) seedbank? There is a thread on the trading site under seed distribution –“The remainder of the harvest will go to various society and free seedbanks. If you manage a seedbank, please contact me.”  Its a Tamlin Dawnstar post. I also think lower prices for membership is good. Lastly, are we going to be a big enough organization to have quarterly submeetings. If there are only a few members in the hub groups is it worth trying to meet that often (initially, I assume more people will join eventually)? Ok its more than a couple things.

Stan
Thanks for the nominations and all, but I have to decline... I'm more like up in norhter California. Plus the vice president and president need to be able to go to EVERY meeting, which I won't be able to do. Giving me free emmbership wouldn't be fair, and also everyone else would want free membership then. Not good!

Do a bit of publicity for the SECPS, Let people in the area know its going ot be there, and let them donate if possible. Try to pull them in by getting thier attention about cps. Tell them about all the benefits you get when signing up.

If there are less than 3 meetings a year, people just won't be interested. You'll start slower that way, too.

Ok folks, the vp thing was a joke. He was posting and nobody else seems too interested in being one of the officers....besides he's 3000 miles away, I didn't think he'd really want to be a member.

Its Carolina Carnivorous Gardens, not Carolina Carnivores, but both sound good ---don't they? Dave Crump is an excellent grower and a good man.

Back