What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is...

Super sphagnum?
how is it "Super"
and y is it exspensive?

? Super Sphagnum ? Never heard of it. I would be weary of it being a gimmick.
I know there is some kind of coastal sphagnum from U.S. and LFS, and NZLFS, and Chilean sphagnum, and sphagnum peat, these are names I have heard for sale. Sometimes the LFS is rated by quality this may be the case. I would be careful of a gimmick if it is claimed to have "Super" properties, all sphagnum is super absorbent but I don't think one is more so than the other.

Joe

I have used the product. It is the heads of NZ Sphagnum pressed into bricks as dense as balsa wood. Add water and you have a pile of very clean NZ LFS. I have tried 2 different batches. One was finely milled and very good for Utricularia. I wanted to try germinating Drosera seed in it, but I found although it supported good germination it was more difficult for me to control the wetness levels, so I have returned to the standard 50/50 peat/sand. It makes a great top dressing for my pots of Drosera, especially the coarser less milled grade. The finer grade came in cubes, the coarser grade in flat sheets. I am favorably impressed with the products I have tried, although a little pricey for all but small ventures.

Back