What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a chemistry/water person take a peak at this?

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
how could you take a "peek" at that? That page is huge!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
confused.gif
Lol

Anyways, it says that the water has chloriene (sp'?). Big nono for cps

that water wont work, sorry man.
its to hard, and as said, it has clhorine. bad idea

Hi,
The chlorine i'm not real concerned about, as you could just let the water sit in a bucket for a day or two before using it and the chlorine would leave the water...   but the Total Dissolved Solids is kinda hard...   41mg/l - 90mg/l....   first of all that is translated into 41 ppm - 90 ppm...   as 41ppm doesn't seem to be too hard when you rince your media and check your tds...  but for water I'd say is too high.  MY R/O system makes water at 7-11 ppm...   And over time, that too builds up in my pots so I need to rince them or transplant the plants.   Distilled water of course is 0 ppm...  To be safe, I'd say it might be okay for mexican pings if you water from the top and don't tray water...  (It'll rince the pot as you water so It'll never build up in there)  But, make sure to sit the water in a bucket for a day or two before using.  Also, the PH is a little alkaline...  As we know, our plants are on the acidic side of the scale...   Not that it is too far off...    
So, bottom line.  I wouldn't use it.  (at all)  And I wouldn't recomend you use it either.  
And that's my thoughts on that...
Andrew
EDIT: I am in no way, a chemistry/water person... this is just the best I know for who I am. (A cp grower that monitors PPM in the water for my cps and the water that is rinced out of my cps pots.

"pH range is approximately 7.0 to 7.6 or slightly alkaline to prevent corrosion. Average = 7.3 pH"

We want acid don't we? Wouldn't the alkalinity and the acid (soil) react to create H2O?
If I remember my chemistry (from about 1 month ago
smile_n_32.gif
) then it would. Hmm. Just another factor to consider.

Hi!

I am in chemistry. The chlorine is very volatile and will evaporate after one day when kept in an open reservoir. The water does contain too much salt. It is considered as soft, but that has to be seen relatively, it is too hard for cps and too alkaline.

Do not use tap water.

A side note:
Even so-called destilled water (most of it coming from reverse osmosis or ion changers) will contain some very small amount of salts. But these quantities are VERY small and do not harm cps. Nothing on our world is "pure"...entropy beats it all.

Thanks for all your input guys.

I was curious because I was checking out on tap filters to see if it would make a big enough difference to where I could use tap, but that still seems to be a far off dream.

I'll stick to the 58 cent a gallon solution and the occasional rain storm for now.

Back