What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don schnell's book

Hey everyone. I have had the Savage Garden now for about a year, and altho it is a good book, I have found some mild contradictions on it. I have checked in to Don Schnell's book and was a bit taken back by the $40 price tag. I need something a bit more indepth and advanced (NOT to say that I am even close to an advanced grower) now. How does this book compare to others, and what other books are out there that can give that to me? thanks...

The book is worth every penny and more!!!!!
If you're looking for a book to show you how to grow cp's, this is not the book. If you want to learn about how N. American cp's grow in the then this is the best book for you. I highly recommend this book.

I agree about Schnell's book. I very often refer to it as a refresher. No one has captured the diversity and grandeur of North American CPs better.

It is not a cultivation manual, although some information of that sort is included. It is nonetheless a fantastic book, and an excellent look at our native US species.

40 bucks?!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I coulda sworm I payed only 30

'Carnivorous plants of the world' by James and Patrica P...something
biggrin.gif

Got that already. If so then I don't know anything else. Oh man it looks like I' having to order my savage garden from overseas, they don't have it where I live.
confused.gif

I have Schnell's 2nd Edition (personally signed
biggrin.gif
as does my love, Tamlin). Its a very good book...I've enjoyed having it. Just bear in mind its only North American species covered in it (in other words its not going to have pygmies and mexi pings in it). Also...$40 really isn't that bad as its a very thick book with loads of color photos. Its much thicker book than the Savage Garden.

I guess sooner or later newbies discover that the Savage Garden isn't QUITE the "CP bible" its reputed to be. Its a good book, but you have to take it with a grain of salt.

take it with a grain of salt? hmmmm.... Just got it, anything I should watch out for? Any examples?

You just need to bear in mind that cultivating techniques can vary.  Sometimes you need to experiment and see what works for you in your particular location.  There are people here who "break the rules" and quite successfully grow their plants.  So...simply put, don't think you have to grow any CP exactly according to The Savage Garden just because "it says so in the book."  You may find a different technique works for you that varies from what Peter D'Amato says.  I'm not putting the book down at all...its a great book and I have it myself.  Just don't think its the FINAL WORD on growing CPs.  
smile.gif
Read other books, surf the internet for information...and then draw your own conclusions from all the information you gather for what cultivation techniques you'd like to try.

I believe it was Pyro once who told me how he grows his cobra lilies and it was nothing like the "accepted technique" and he said they grow just fine.

I think if you try some different methods, you'll find there are many ways to grow these plants well.  Experimentation leads to new knowledge.

Mine was $28

basically I am looking for growing conditions...what their wild environments are like. ie, the d. adalae are grow in mostly shaded areas. I need to know what sort of conditions they grow in in the wild. Yeah, the Savage Garden, albeit a good book, I find it leaves much to be desired. I've been doing cps now for about a year and a half (I'm obsessed with well over 200 plants, and about another 25 coming) and there are things that are stated to work that don't and vice versa. It was frustrating to learn the hard way when the book says to do it this way and it simply does not work. It was hard to learn, and even harder to get away from. Now I don't care, I follow a basic guideline, and experiment. I have several types of mediums growing. I have plants of all types in all different types of conditions. Typical conditions, shaded, bright sun etc. I document the results in my head and go from there. There is nothing like finding your own 'best' way. thanks for the help.

When I began this hobby last summer and purchased what turned out to be Drosera spatulata an P. primuliflora, I went to Borders and Barnes & Noble to find CP books. One had Savage Garden and the other had CP's Of NA. every chance I had I read through them. At the time, beyond basic care, the enormity of the species out there and pictures of pitcher plants, butterworts and sundews looking pretty much alike was overwhelming. However, since latching onto TF, I am no longer overwhelmed by the info in those books. Now they make sense. They are both good guides for those who are relatively new and a little beyond. They are great for people with, dare I say, intermediate knowledge of caring for CP's. Folks like Tamlin, PAK, Bugweed, Seandew, Vic Brown, Pinguiculaman, etc..., who have been growing CP's for decades now, have moved on to their own techniques that differ from Mr. D'Amato & Mr. Schnell. Those books are still quite valuable guides for many of us, with huge learning curves. CP's Of the World, when I saw that one in a different Borders, is one of those "gotta have it" book. Someday...

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Ummm...you can leave me out of that "decades" classification. lol I wish! I wish I did know as much as all those others folks you put me in with! I still consider myself a newbie as I learn new things all the time. And every time you think you've "got it!"--a plant keels over on you and you don't know why. Just nature's way of putting you in your place and making sure you don't get too nice guyy about yer plants.
biggrin.gif

One of the best ways to learn about cultivating a particular plant is to research its location and native environment. Then try to mimic that as best you can. Books are fun and interesting...but will never be the "end all be all" of plant growing. Like Bob said...he reads, he experiments and finds out what works well for him. Even here on the forum...you can ask a question and get 10 different answers...which goes to show you one method doesn't work the same for all.

The books are always fun to read though.
smile.gif

Yes, the best plan is to get as many opinions as possible, and I usually favor those techniques that work for growers in areas similar to my own.

PAK is very correct, finding out where a species grows and doing a websearch on the climatic conditions there can make all the difference in the world to success in cultivation.

Close observation and care of the plants is really the best strategy for any grower to use. If they are growing, let them be. If not try to change single variables like light or water slowly and observe the results. Go with what works, not what the books say. If you fail, offer the information so that others can learn what not to do. Failures often carry very useful data if they are communicated.

Back