What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any artists here?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dew
I picked up a really nice full height painting/drawing easel for $10 at Wal mart tonight but was looking at one for $150 at the **** Blick art shop... I don't see $140 worth of difference. My work won't be any better on a more expensive easel! All I'd need to do is attach a sliding drawer and some hanging hooks along the base and it'd be the $150 model...

I just think that's a rediculous price difference!  
confused.gif

(This pointless rant brought to you by Mountain Dew...)

**** Blick is expensive and so is Standard Blue. Much like clothing you have name brands that you pay more for in the "professional" trade.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ May 31 2004,9:14)]**** Blick is expensive and so is Standard Blue. Much like clothing you have name brands that you pay more for in the "professional" trade.

Joe
I've gotten some "good" deals at **** Blick... where do you shop?

Now you know why artists are always poor and starving
smile_n_32.gif

That's right. Price a tube of oil paint. Geez.

Hmmm...I think I'll use that excuse when my parents ask how my finances are..."You know artists are always poor and starving." Yeah! That's the ticket!

smile_m_32.gif

Quality also cost.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ June 01 2004,7:23)]I know, just a kids set of paint at walmart these days is $20
you can still get exact same ones at the dollar store!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

When you buy paint, the more you pay, the more pigment the paint contains (compared to filler). I have found, though, that many art supply stores charge ridiculus prices for materials that you can get without the brand name at a department store...
Peter

Yes, good paints are a worthwhile investment especially if you'll be making "milk" out of your paint for airbrush or "wash" use. If you buy cheap paint and thin it down you might find that there's not much pigment in it.

I just can't see the reason for the price difference in the easels. But I'll be making my own when I want a new one to hold really huge boards (this one will hold up to 36"t x 48"w easily). There's not much that goes into a basic easel and now that I see how it all fits together...!
smile.gif

Back