What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The smell of super thrive

Ok those of you that use ST must think that it stinks to high heaven, right?

So I was wondering. How do YOU get rid of that smell?

You think thats bad? I also use bat guano on some of my other plants. Bat crap, yeah that stinks. I just let stuff like that be, my wife however gets mad and clears the room.

Joe

I hear ya! I just used it for the first time, yesterday, on my pitcher plants (generically speaking). It ranks (pun intended) just slightly better than barf!

Yeah, but at least it dosen't taste as bad as it smells. Guano, sure it stinks to high heaven but gives such a wonderful fruity taste to plants once absorbed by the roots
smile_n_32.gif

God's Garden,

I think you are thinking of Cannibis?

I pretty much regard the stuff as snakeoil. Never used it and probably never will, I have a sensitive nose: likes Chanel #5, hates rotting potatos.

Slightly better than barf sort of decides the issue of whether to try it or not.

Well I think I have a sensitive nose as well, but I also have lived close to the Houston ship channel home to 2,500 plus chemical plants and oil refinerys, so what most people think smells bad dosen't even come close to the "scents" I'm use to. So with such a curious smell one has to wonder how it would taste. Yes I have tasted a drop, but I am playing this up a bit. Jim actually I think Acedic Acid/ Aldehyde satelite sludge fits between ST and barf
cool.gif

It smells nice! In fact it smells just like Marmite to me.

well I guss my question is sil up in the air.. I realy don't think it smells good it smels horrible. I realy don't think its snake oil as I can honestly see a noticible difference when using it, easilly when I just get a plant from shipping

The smell never bothered me....but then again, I have no sense of smell.

It reminds me a lot of the smell of B12 the vitamin. Which is pretty gross.

It has b12 I believe, or at least one of the b vitamins as a main ingredient. Yes b anything stinks, I just accept it since I prefer using organics on my plants. Seen-as-how natural fertilizer comes most abundantly from one place (back door of herbivores), I just ignore the smell. It makes a huge difference that for 5 years I was a caustic/corrosive chemical user (custodian) and my nose is very burned to strong odors. I also go unphased around rotting flesh and human bio-waste now as well. So maybe my opinion of stink doesn't count.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ June 02 2004,4:50)]and my nose is very burned to strong odors. I also go unphased around rotting flesh and human bio-waste now as well. So maybe my opinion of stink doesn't count.
Ok, so that's two of use who's opinion doesn't count on this subject...
smile_m_32.gif

Superthrive works 4 me ive had good results, although i really cant tell if there good beacause i had nothing to campare it to
-_-
any way, it doesnt smell that bad, and u use only a drop per gallon, so it really doesnt smell unless u smell the bottle it comes in...

I kinda like the smell of Acetic Acid. It's Hydrochloric Acid I can't take. Hey, I work in the metals department. Too many chemicals. Too many acids to drop (on my pants of course). No dain bramage here!

Sure, acedic acid smell like 100% vinager (mind you what you buy at the store is 7% or so) but we have a process here where when the AA and aldehyde are reacted and purified the impurities are sent to a large tank, and I wish I could describe the smell of the tank but I can't think of anything else it smells like. I think I'm pretty good at relating smells. Just the other day I was drinking out of the water fountain in the styrene unit's office, and I asked my buddy to taste the water and see what he tasted. we looked at each other and said at the same time "scotch tape" of course thats the last time I get water from there.
smile_n_32.gif

My olfactories aren't the greatest and we have one guy who has these periodic samples to be tested for odor threshhold. He has to make different dilutions of whatever and set them up in flasks for co-workers to sniff and describe what we smell - if anything. To me, they all smell like hot water. I'm no help!

so some of you guys think that ST doesn't smell bad?
confused.gif
wow I think its horrible smelling.....

Ok then one more question...

How do you get smell off your hands?

Hands, why would you put it on your hands? Just kidding. I only get acid on my hands. Seriously, try soaking them in water until the skin is like prunes. If that doesn't work, eventually, the dead skin cells will slough off.

yea I guess you can still get it on your hands [wink] well it was good to read your guys comments .....

I think ST smells really bad!! I have a little bottle of ST sitting in our old 6x8 shed that we store garden stuff in and it has made the whole thing stink like it inside!! I don't think pesticides and fungicides smell the best either!

-buckeye

Back