What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metallica

Any other fans out there? Right now I'm listening to "Some kind of Monster"
cool.gif
They Rock
smile.gif

I saw them over ten years ago. I like the old stuff alot better.

I was a fan back before they did In Justice For All. After that when they cut their hair and all that new "progressed" sound I lost interest in them.

I also wanna say that Lars is a real 360* turn around guy. He was one of the biggest TAPE TRADERS in the underground back in the early 80s. He was one of the folks who helped start the SF Thrash Scene by doing what Napster did only on a smaller scale. He imported the rare black metal and power metal demos and early albums of bands like: Bathory, Candlemass, Venom and Celtic Frost, Tygers of pan Tang etc. in from europe, dubbing them and trading them with folks like the Exodus, Dark Angel and Hirax guys. So where he gets off blasting Napster for doing what he himself did is beyond me. But as they say I'm sure he's "laughing all the way to the bank"!

It's not that I lost interest in metal I still publish battlehelm.com (formerly a print publication at Tower Recs) but for the last couple years, metal in general has really been lacking inspiration or uniqueness for me. Even Iron Maiden keeps pumping out albums but all rather dross in nature. I've pretty much given up reviewing promo CDs I get sent and the last interview I did (with King Diamond) was like 3 years ago for the House of God LP! I let the other writers take care of the new metal releases. Especially the nu-metal that they play on the radio which totally makes me wanna cry and break windows! I basically listen to my old metal albums from 1975 up til about 2000. I keep hoping someone will put out something that will really knock my socks off again but I feel like I've heard it all before whenever I put on a new CD.

Just jaded I guess after listening to thousands and thousands of albums in 13 years of metal zinedom!
biggrin.gif

Swords, I feel the same way that you do. I just don't get the rap metal. There is nothing new at all that has come out in the last few years.
On a better note, I can't wait until Ozzfest this year, It's back to the old metal. Slayer, Judist Priest, Black Label Socitey, and of course Black Sabbath.

Rock has gone to sooo much crap that I turned to Rap just for something new. I swear everyone sounds like Creed or Limpbizcit (whatever they spell it like) I am mostly an industrial fan but its the same story there really. The worst part is this upbeat radio punk junk, its depressing.

SIGH........
Joe

i hear ya, guys. i like metallica, but nothing newer than and justice... and the few songs from the black album that didn't make it to the radio.
when i want something a little different, i'll usually throw in some techno/industrial stuff, or something a little more popy or mellow. i really listen to a lot of different stuff. as far as metal goes, it seems that all of the great 80's bands that i listened to either broke up, or got really weak (listen to the new metallica for an example of this). there are a few exceptions, but they are rare.

josh- you interviewed king diamond?!? sweet! i'm sure that was fun. he's one of those guys that i am sure would be a lot of fun to chit chat with. how is his newer material (newer than conspiracy)?

tech...

Techno, I've done tons of interviews after 13 years or so! Everyone from Virgin Steele, Riot and Exciter etc. to Mayhem, Burzum and Gorgoroth. And everything inbetween.
King Diamond is a very kind and soft spoken old hippie. I've spoken with him several times, he reminds me very much of my old hippie uncle (without the stage makeup of course). Well, to be brutally honest KD hasn't released a real solid winner from beginning to end since those classic early albums. Of course, Mercyful Fate's early material was just as great! It's just lost those catchy hooklines that were dangling everywhere in those early albums. One time you happen to be listening to bass and it's so groovy you can't stand it and so the next time you're listing to the guitars which are brilliant sounding and amazingly thoughout... The new albums have all the ingredients to be great but fall into the hole of so many bands. When they loose those members who wrote such substantial parts or when those members start putting their focus into new bands, like Hank Sherman and Andy LaRocque did from M. Fate/K. Diamond. That causes an element of magic to dissappear. Not that the albums are bad, they just don't grab you with all those catchy parts like Fatal Portait, Them and Conspiracy did. The Eye LP was OK too but I started to wander after that but still listened to each new album to review them and do the interviews when the labels came a callin'.Now I let the other writers do the interviews cos they're still excited about new stuff.

I'm not really a fan of other music, there is more than enough variety available in metal for me. Classical inspired power metal, heavy metal, speed metal, thrash, black & Death and any weird combinations of them people come up with. I do occasionally like dark industrial/noise stuff like: Brighter Death Now, Laibach (Opus Dei mostly), MZ.412, Con(trol)Dom(inate). etc... I also like medieval stuff released by Sweden's Cold Meat Industry label who released things like Mortiis, Arcana. CMI also released my own band from the early 1990s called Cernunnos Woods which was not metal but medieval ambient stuff.

Carefull guys ya'll could get sued just for naming this thread Metallica. I cover some of their stuff at shows, but you can only play enter sandman, or nothing else matters so many times. I've started replacing them with Sanitarium(welcome home) and One, but I'm not really interested in any of the newer stuff.

Old stuff rules - Up to the album Load the music really dropped off.

I was a big fan of Metallica and purchased all their albums up until the whole Napster thing.

I've found that music (and fashion) trends tend to be cyclical. Every so often, something new comes out to replace current fads but really, it's just a reinvention of something older. Metal will one day make a comeback and hit it big again.:;):

I had the "Them" album from King Diamond when I was 15. That was some album. After listening to that album, I never looked at grandma the same again. That guys has an awsome voice.
mad.gif

I've given up listening to the radio altogether. All the local stations have the same stupid rap/pop mix that drives me up the wall. Either that or southern rock/country, which I find equally disgusting. And then I found the car adapter to the CD player
biggrin.gif

As for metallica, I thought they were okay until they threw the Napster hissy fit. The fact that they even share an opinion with the RIAA (AKA Complete vacuum of sense) sickens me.

Cernunnos Wood.

Very interesting name, and not often encountered. I wonder how you came by it?

Hi Tam, I had a feeling you'd ask!
laugh.gif

I've always enjoyed studying mysticism and "dark age" subjects. Druidry has always fascinated me more than much of the other "western magic" with it's focus in the learning of metaphor filled storytelling and music within the rank of Bard. Also the shouded history of Druidry and it's associated Celtic / Animistic folklore offers such a rich bounty of ideas to draw inspiration from.

All the releases I did:
Tears of the Weeping Willow cassette album
Lost Woods cassette album
Immramma cassette album
The Imbolc Stag track for compilation CD
The Bard (guest narrations on track of same name for the album The Kingdom & It's Fey by ...The Soil Bleeds Black traditional celtic folk group)
Awaken the Empire of Dark Wood CD
Funeral March track for tribute CD to Dark Age Productions record label (my old now dead label) compilation released by Dark Vynil Germany

I've got two more albums written, Folklore and Flight of the Winter Geese but I no longer have my synthesizers or recording equiptment. Maybe someday!

As far as voices go, my favorite singer is Daxx from Acid Bath. Unfortunately the only 2 albums released by them are hard to find sometimes. The bassist was killed and now they go by Agents of Oblivion. Anyone who likes nightmarish/ fantasy......not really metal should give a listen. The albums are called "When the kite string pops" and something "Terorristic tactics"

Swords, are you celtic by blood? I myself am ScotchIrish. Just curious.

Joe

Yes, my family is Welsh (Cook) and Scottish (Campbell is my clann and Black Watch is our tartan). Someone on the Welsh side took part in the Crusades I learned as I had to do Genaeology studies back in highschool.

I don't know if I could identify an all around favorite singer. There's so many albums all of which have good vocalists for their style. Kai Hansen from early Helloween & now Gamma Ray is perfect emotional voice for their futuristic space traveling power metal, Lemmy is just dirty and grimey and the perfect greasy voice for Motorhead, Ishan on the first Emperor mini-LP was so perfect when I first heard his black metal shrieks I thought someone was skinning a nun, Quorthons offkey viking melodies on the newer Bathory epics defiantely make me feel like I'm riding on a warship away from the flaming shores of a sacked village. A time and place for everybody! But then, there are some really terrible vocalists out there who don't fit their band too!

My old roomate was really a big fan of Acid Bath and The Doors of all combinations!  
confused.gif

I love Metallica, I went to their Show at the Cow Palace in May along with My Mother. It was great.
Admittingly I don't Enjoy St Anger too much or anything after And Justice.. but When  I feel like it. I'll listen to Low Man's Lyric, Sanitarium, St Anger. But Mostly it's Trapped UNder Ice, MotorBreath, and Blackened and others from those Albums.
Having Grown up into it. I've started to enjoy Death Metal and other stupid things. But Honestly my loyalties Lie in Industrial, Power Metal, and Plain old Metal.

Has anyone else been striving to find something "new" lately?
I've jumped to European bands like Rammstein, DragonForce, In Flames, and Iron Maiden.. Not sure why but everything in America (At least most of it) Is the same..or if it's Death Metal..you can't understand it most of the time

Yes, once you begin to look outside the US music scene you will find an unbelieveable amount of inspiring bands who don't care about the fashions and trends here. About 95% of the bands my magazine (battlehelm.com) reviews and interviews are from Europe (which is also where the writers are). If you like power metal, Germany is a huge producer of todays traditional power metal. Italy & Greece is big on "magical" and "sword and Sorcery" type power metal, Norway and Sweden of course, the "blood bathing" black metallers and their ilk. England still has a few of the old NWOBHM bands going like Iron Maiden, Marshall Law, Tygers of Pan Tang, Witchfynde, even Venom got back together! England also does a lot of doom/death metal type stuff. Take a search on the web for century media records and relapse records and check out their mailorder catalogs (they're books and it's free I believe). Together they probably distribute by mailorder just about everything (nobody has EVERYTHING) that's officially released from anywhere in the world for the US market. Good prices too, no bogus "import prices". I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you!

I'll do that..but first I have to save enough money to purchase Loco CDs...they were a Canadian Metal band. but they split up recently and they are too good to pass up...
*Must earn money somehow...LOL*

Edit: In my list I forgot Iced Earth..I know I'm forgetting a few more..hmmm

Back