What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Risks of being on pft

Hackers will always be a problem. Viruses, worms, trojans, miners and the rest will always be a threat if you do not take simple and fairly cheap precautions. PFT is safe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so, what's available to stop the random, unwanted, instant messages i get on AOL instant messanger?
There should be a little X in the top right of the window.  
smile_m_32.gif
  Sorry, couldn't help it.  Oh, and before anyone mentions it, I realize that it'd just minimize it (unless you tell it to exit).  I just cannot stand AOL, pay too much for too little, I get enough of that in the real world without my computer pitching in reasons to squander my money.  

The biggest problem with computers today is people just not knowing.  Flat out, that's the greatest cause of problems.  I don't expect that everyone know how to program themselves out of a jail cell or anything, just that they know the basics.  At my highschool, the "Computers" class translates to typing (unfortunatley, everyone has to take it to graduate).  Anyone else had an exerience with anything like that?  

One last note, I don't really live Norton, IME, it gets disabled far too much if you actually do have a virus, so it's easier to just have a virus scanner (which I suppose isn't foolproof either, but seems to have always worked for me), and then get the stand alone fix for the problem.  Furthermore, I've had fine experiences with some free virus protection programs, so if anyone is intrested, I'll check what I use/d.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At my highschool, the "Computers" class translates to typing (unfortunatley, everyone has to take it to graduate).
Really? I don't...take too much of it at home already...
smile_m_32.gif
Local school used to make it compulsary (strict government), and give it such a exciting, technology filled name such as that when all you do is sit in front of a screen and bang the keys...but it wasn't toooo bad, at least we got to do otehr subject like maths and stuff (and fool around when teacher not looking)

Yeah I agree with you, Est, ppl just buy a com and expect it to protect them from all the pains of spam and take care of all the troubles of cyberspace, they just gotta LEARN to do it themselves! Cyberspace is far from a cosy and easy-goin' place, everywhere you turn there's spamers, even your best friend could be one...sorry if that's frightening...if you don't know then get out there and learn it! People out there gotta learn how to be more independent, not just rely on virus protection programs. Need to learn basic skills like not opening unknown or suspiciously spam-like mail just for the benifit of fuffilling your curiousity - first lesson I learnt about computers!
If you want to get a virus protection then choose wisely, don't just download any random program - could be spy/adware. Norton and mcfee can protect you from some kinds of viruses but not others, better to buy from one renowed company and use it well.

I heard there's something called adware6.0 which stops some kinds of spam (swedish company which I use) - free downloadhere, don't worry I experimented on myself first, proven safe!
smile.gif
And yahoo also has a system cleaner and ad/spyware stopper for free once you sign up for their email account (business you know...) more $$$s...
smile_m_32.gif

Just trying to help the situation and put worrying parents' minds at rest (Go persuade your parents first!), then show them the proof!
cool.gif

Jason

computer class is just typing class! what a joke!
laugh.gif

I won't ahve any problem with it, since i type 60-100 words a minute!
smile_m_32.gif
smilie4.gif

That's Ad-Aware 6.0. Adware is the bad one. From Lavasoft.

Ad-Aware 6.0 doesn't stop adware or spyware. It removes those programs from your computer. The next time you run a program that has one of these adware or spyware programs attached to it, you end up with the spyware back on your computer and have to run Ad-Aware 6.0 to find and remove it again. You gotta be careful what you load and use off the internet on your computer.

Yeah, you should take the information from Ad-Aware and use it: if you frequent a site that has an unfortunate piece of spyware in a popup, or if you frequently get spy/adware from a certain source, you gotta block the cookies from that source.  You know, it really is annoying, cookies were created in the name of good, but twisted by the hands of evil...   Hm, anyway, some of you may want to get "Hijack this" (just google it, and you'll find it easily enough).  It shows a lot of things, some of which are normal things, but it can catch things that you normally can't get yourself ( unless you feel like registry surfing
smile_l_32.gif
).  If anyone does decide to try this, let me just say that it in general is for more advanced users, so (whether advanced or not), you'll want to let the program make a backup just in case.  Happy hunting, all.

BTW, cookies is a misnomer. They should be called "bakies." You don't cook cookies. You bake them! I wanted to work that in somewhere. Sorry.

cpu cookies dont stand for the munchy little snacks kids eat for lunch
smile_m_32.gif

Back