What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any aussies here?

Hi People,

Just wondering if there are any other cp hobbyists from Australia on here. Just drop me an email at cphobby2000@hotmail.com

cheers
Christian
smile_n_32.gif

There are a few of us here including myself.

hi sean,

that's great to know.

pm'd ya

Also Khoas.

I think I am an honorary Australian by now. Welcome to the Forum!

Yep, there are a few of us lurking around the forums...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

George

Hi everyone,

Well, I have a question about importing plants and the required permits. I've contacted aquis, enviro austraia, customs and many more people regarding applications for an import permit and they have been giving me the run around.
mad.gif
Where do you get one from?
confused.gif
? Are there any of you who want to order plants from overseas because it is not worth getting just a few plants and I'm thinking a combined order on the one permit would be better. Let me know what you think.

thanks
Christian

Hello Christian

I'm an Aussie though I haven't lived (or even been) there for quite a while.
I think you'll find it very difficult to import live plants. The paperwork is extensive, the plants themselves have to do time (about 3 months I think) in quarantine, often under the care of people that don't know too much about CP's. In Perth there is a one guy works in quarantine that is a  Nepenthes nut so things are more hopeful there.
There is a large fee to actually import the plants and then you pay, per plant, to have them in quarantine and again the fee for that is also pretty hefty. If they die you still pay the fees.

The Australian gov. doesn't really want you bringing stuff in and they make it as hard as possible so unless you are thinking of bringing in plants in tc or in commercial quantities to offset all the fees then I would give it a miss. Your end cost per plant will be prohibitive.

Cheers, Troy.

Hi Christian,

I work for AQIS and believe me, importing plants requires quite a bit of effort and money. If you would like more info send me a PM with your questions. (did you send one previously? I didn't get it if you did)

hi troy,

I'd like to import plants grown in tc. thanks for the information. I gather if there are a number of people who want to do the same as me then the cost of everything to import the plants can be divided, but someones' name has to be on the import permit. The more plants brought in on the one permit would be great and that way everyone would be happy and get the rare ones they want.

thanks
Christian

Hi Seandew.....pm'd ya

Back