What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You thought my internet connection sucked adnedarn

SPEEDTEST1.jpg
laugh.gif

First off...  We were talking about that MONTHS ago.  We sent screen shots back and forth and your connection did suck!   Okay, so now you got a decent reading..   ...and?  Why does this matter to a board full of people who would much rather this space be used for pictures of some CP?  Couldn't you of sent this to me on messanger like we were before?   Geesh  
confused.gif
  Will someone please delete this waste of space post??  
smile.gif

Andrew

Edit: Wasn't it you that wanted more PM space?? Maybe we would have it if it wasn't for posts like this.
smile_n_32.gif

I was bored... and thought it would make a good topic anyways
mad.gif

Well, if you wanna make a post of it where people respond, then you at least need to provied the link to the test you took so others can take the same and post their results...  have fun.  
Andrew

ok, so heres the link: www.dslreports.com/speedtests

Bah, un-impressive Spec. Here is mine at peak time (more congestion, lower ping time)

Although, 90% of the world wouldn't know the difference from this or a quarter of it, but alas, I am a nerd.

004-06-08 18:05:47 EST: 2874 / 248
Your download speed : 2943626 bps, or 2874 kbps.
A 359.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 253968 bps, or 248 kbps.

hey, at least my upload speed is faster!
smile_n_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

glad theres SOMEONE else here not computer illiterate
laugh.gif

Only 5 people here not illiterate...

Casper
Adnedarn
Capslock
Scottychaos
smile_k_ani_32.gif

EDIT: here is what my test ran

2004-06-08 18:25:15 EST: 2110 / 336
Your download speed : 2161511 bps, or 2110 kbps.
A 263.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 344926 bps, or 336 kbps.

EDIT:but how are we 'sposed to know you're telling the truth without a screenshot?
smile_m_32.gif
GET ONE UP!

Untill then, I have the fastest conenction on pft *stands high*

any other entries?
smile_m_32.gif

HEY! interesting how your timestamp was sooner than mine!
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Only 5 people here not illiterate...

Now now, Spec, you may be making a slightly too broad generalization.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ June 09 2004,3:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Only 5 people here not illiterate...

Now now, Spec, you may be making a slightly too broad generalization.
oops! 6
smile_m_32.gif

gotta add another:

Est

smile_m_32.gif
LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]oops! 6
gotta add another:

Est

Ok, but I mean, there are more yet
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 08 2004,6:19)]Only 5 people here not illiterate...
hey spec,
since you are one of the "literate" members, how about writing up some how-to's or some articles on how to do different things on or with the computer?

remember: if you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem...

which one are you?

tech...

Waste of space....senseless topic...

EDIT: reopened..

My upload speed isn't quite up to par, but I'm downloading faster than any of you
smile_m_32.gif

2004-06-08 20:31:37 EST: 3119 / 240
Your download speed : 3193986 bps, or 3119 kbps.
A 389.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 246381 bps, or 240 kbps.

I guess this topis is only for those whose internet connection is fast enough that to make letting a page of such a worthless topic load worth the wait... if 1 second can really be considered a wait.
biggrin.gif

For those of you who don't fit into that category, let me reward you with a cp picture or two:

nidiformis2.JPG

D. nidiformis

pinkping.JPG

P. moranensis

thorellii.JPG

N. thorelli, three pitchers of varied maturity, showing the progression of coloring.

capwithbutterfly2.JPG

"Eating the pollinator"
smile_n_32.gif

Thank you for the great pics, Noah.
I may not know what all those numbers & terms mean, but I don't like being considered "illiterate."  I think this post is somewhat lacking in grace.
smile_r_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lavenderdawn @ June 09 2004,6:21)] 
smile_r_32.gif
oh behave
smile_m_32.gif

sorry, just watched austin powers...
smile_n_32.gif

thanks for unlocking it dustin... i really appreciate it
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (technoracer @ June 09 2004,4:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 08 2004,6:19)]Only 5 people here not illiterate...
hey spec,
since you are one of the "literate" members, how about writing up some how-to's or some articles on how to do different things on or with the computer?

remember: if you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem...

which one are you?

tech...
I didnt say I wasnt illiterate... I still ahve a lot to learn about computer programming and all of the terms!

What kind of articles do you want me to write? you name it, and I'll write it if I can
smile_m_32.gif

I would like to be part of the solution.. Whats the problem?
confused.gif
smile_l_32.gif

Lavenderdawn,

let me re-phrase this for you:

Your download speed : 3193986 bps, or 3119 kbps.
A 389.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 246381 bps, or 240 kbps.

bps= Bytes Per Second
KBPS= Killa Bytes Per Second

Bytes, Kilabytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes, etc, are all file sizes.

There are approx. 1024 (to be precise) bytes in a kilabyte, and approx 1000 kilibytes in a megabyte, and I THINK 1000 megabytes in a gigabyte (Or is it 100 MBs/1GB?)

At noas speed, he would have downloaded all the pictures he posted in less than a second (the whole page, maybe 3-5 seconds) Each of noahs pictures are about 500 kilabytes... so with his speed of over 3000 kilabytes (or 3.0 megabytes) per second, he can download 6 500 kilabyte pictures in only a second!

Correct me if I'm wrong, please
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]bps= Bytes Per Second
bits per second.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]KBPS= Killa Bytes Per Second
kilobytes per second.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are approx. 1024 (to be precise)
Approximately means roughly... it's hard for something to be approximate and precise at the same time. There are exactly 1024 bytes in 1 kilobyte.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and approx 1000 kilibytes in a megabyte, and I THINK 1000 megabytes in a gigabyte (Or is it 100 MBs/1GB?)

There are 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At noas speed, he would have downloaded all the pictures he posted in less than a second (the whole page, maybe 3-5 seconds) Each of noahs pictures are about 500 kilabytes... so with his speed of over 3000 kilabytes (or 3.0 megabytes) per second, he can download 6 500 kilabyte pictures in only a second!

Oh my... First, Noah's pics are much less than 100 kilobytes each. And, 3000 kilobytes is not equal to 3 megabytes (although almost).

Spec, I find your characterization of people as illiterate highly offensive, while simultaneously mildly amusing that you misspell "illiterate." Please try to show a little more tact. And also please check your facts...

Pat

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Spec, I find your characterization of people as illiterate highly offensive,

I would have to agree, though I am guessing you meant it as a joke. Even so, it was a highly inaccurate joke, at that. Anyone who can figure out how to post on a forum such as this one has quite a decent amount of computer literacy.
smile.gif

yes, I did mean it as a joke... I thought some of you woulda figured that out, seeing how much I joke!
confused.gif
mad.gif

The term "illiterate" is used for anyone who isnt familiar to computer language... I thought you would have known that, TC... I also thought you would have known it was a joke, seeing how lots of people ahve been calling themselves computer illiterate lately

nidiformis2.JPG

If you go to the properties of that pic, trashcan, it says that it is about 38000 bits... thats about 400K, correct?

Back