User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Invasive species in your backyard - or aquarium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was part of a Loosestrife study project in my college days here. There is no pulling it out, its stolons reach everywhere, it offsets and seeds to beat the band. We are losing our cattail populations here. They are useful, Lossestrife is not.

There are even CP invasives: D. capensis is loose in both Florida and California, choking out natural species in bogs where it was introduced. Someone probably wanted to see if it would survive. It did.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But is Dionea muscipula invasive in the areas where it's being introduced? Or even Sarracenia purpurea? I know preserving them is a worthy cause, but I get nervous when I hear of people taking plants from one habitat and putting them in another. Whoever introduced Drosera capensis probably meant well, but obviously had little undstanding of it's growth and reproductive rate.
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, i didn't realize that the jungle in the backyard of the building where i live is a preserve for invasive species. I can vouch for Tree of Heaven being a pain, as well as Kudzu. nice guyleburr (Burdock?) (Edit: Heh, guess the auto-censor converts co-ckleburr to 'nice guy'burr) is a big weed there, too.

My personal least-favorite invasive species is Tamarisk, which has converted many of the riparian zones in scenic S. Utah to a nasty pric kly (Edit: this auto-censor is ridiculous) wasteland where nothing else wants to live.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm an invasive species I have thats in my aaqaurium is aiptasia, I hate them. Any time I see one I bust out the boiling hot calcium hydroxcide...
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123